Transfer Portal 2023

Eaglefan 21

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

Springmann mentioned they would start the end of season sit downs on Monday in his press conference.

DJ hit some big shots for ORU.  He should have plenty of options to play elsewhere.

I was hoping if he played another year it would be for ORU.

Best of luck DJ!!!!!

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Good for DJ!  Perhaps he can get a starting role on a team in Texas or Louisiana that's an easier trip for his family to see him play.

I have NO problem at all with these seniors getting a taste of playing elsewhere, as long as it's not TU or a Summit League team.  They paid their dues at ORU by staying as long as they did, particularly DJ after losing his starting spot last year.  I hope he finds success in his "grad season"! 👍

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Good for DJ!  Perhaps he can get a starting role on a team in Texas or Louisiana that's an easier trip for his family to see him play.

I have NO problem at all with these seniors getting a taste of playing elsewhere, as long as it's not TU or a Summit League team.  They paid their dues at ORU by staying as long as they did, particularly DJ after losing his starting spot last year.  I hope he finds success in his "grad season"! 👍

....AND they get their degree.  We want them to get their education and I don't mind DJ looking for what may be a better playing situation that will allow him to show his skills to a different audience while getting his Masters and a possibility of playing overseas.  Nothing but the best for DJ....he has hopefully been set up for success from his experience at ORU.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DJ always gave 100%!

Appreciated his effort and loyalty to the team. 

• Upvote 2

Here are the guys to whom I would say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" (in the spiritual sense - don't cancel me! lol)

• Max
  • DJ
  • Connor
  • Carlos
  • Kareem

Here are the guys to whom I would say, "Sorry to see you go, but I get it."

• Trey
  • Nate

And, these are the guys to whom I would say "WAIT -PLEASE DON'T GO!!"

• Issac
  • Patrick
  • Cam
  • Demari
  • Sir Issac (nice save re: the initial omission, ORUalum)
  • the two freshman signees
  • Upvote 2

TheEagleman also wishes the best for DJ.....a fairly solid player for the most part but a bit of an under achiever based on initial advertising.....disappeared for stretches ....but still I would agree he did hit some big shots in the past couple years.....👍

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Here are the guys to whom I would say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" (in the spiritual sense - don't cancel me! lol)

• Max
  • DJ
  • Connor
  • Carlos
  • Kareem

Here are the guys to whom I would say, "Sorry to see you go, but I get it."

• Trey
  • Nate

And, these are the guys to whom I would say "WAIT -PLEASE DON'T GO!!"

• Issac
  • Patrick
  • Cam
  • Demari
  • the two freshman signees

Add Sir Issac to the last group

2 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Add Sir Issac to the last group

I KNEW I was forgetting someone - absolutely!!

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

All the best DJ! He's been a great player, ambassador and representative of ORU for us. He worked hard, did what was asked of him and accepted whatever role he was given.  I still think he should have gotten more minutes, but he never hung his head or did anything but his best.

Thanks for everything DJ, all the best wherever you land, some school will be getting a great addition to their team and program!!

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

While I have no issue with DJ leaving and wish him all the best, I must admit that I am surprised.  If DJ wanted to play another year at ORU, he would likely earn a starting role out of the gates based upon who we have returning (or we think will be returning).  Transitioning to a new school and team creates additional challenges, and it will take DJ time to learn the ropes and earn his playing time.

To that end, I wonder if DJ's decision is really to "test the waters" and see if there is a good fit for him.  If he doesn't like what he sees, then he could pull himself out of the portal.

Someone in our family met his mom - I think it was in Sioux Falls - and asked her if DJ would be back next year. Her reply was something to the effect of, I think he's ready to move on, whatever that means. So I'm not surprised he's entering the portal. May be EXACTLY as Blue said - testing the waters, or maybe ready to see what the world away from basketball has to offer.

Also, I talked with someone that knows him personally over the weekend. They said that DJ has been suffering from knee problems for the past couple of years, and that was likely why he saw limited court time this past season. Apparently the problem was serious enough that he almost left the team last season. I don't know how that meshes with him entering the portal, but that is what I was told . . .

I am really excited to see who Springmann  brings in from the portal. My gut tells me he will attract some good talent!

• Upvote 1

Best of luck to "Clutch" DJ Weaver. Really enjoyed watching him play and seeing how he was a great teammate. Hope he finds the perfect fit.

DJ has had a lot of knee issues in both high school and at ORU.  He red shirted his second year with knee problems.  I always wished he could have played the wing position or small forward but because of ORU's small ball strategy, he was forced to play the center position.  With a small frame he did the best he could at the five.

Weaver finished in the top 10 in blocked shots at ORU and just missed the 1,000 point club by around 36 points.  Very solid career for DJ.

• Upvote 3

There are already over 1,000 players in the portal and the season still has a week to go.  How many this year? 2-3,000?  The deadline to enter is May 11th.

I wish DJ the best.  I would think that a big part of the consideration is ORU's limited graduate programs.  If he can get a scholarship for a grad program that suits his needs (especially if ORU does not offer it), then it is a no-brainer for him to go elsewhere.

• Upvote 3