Transfer Portal 2023

Eaglefan 21

2 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Even if Connor stays, I'd love to see a jumbo lineup of he and Germany. Herron and Mwamba can be the bigs off the bench and Josh Jones can redshirt or get some limited minutes when games are in hand.

That could be interesting indeed.

56 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Don't know anything about DJ.  If ORU is showing interest, I'm sure he's a fine player but for anyone wondering he's 6'-0" & 160 lbs....

Rob

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ORob1 said:

Don't know anything about DJ.  If ORU is showing interest, I'm sure he's a fine player but for anyone wondering he's 6'-0" & 160 lbs....

Rob

I was wondering the same thing about his size. Seems like we are all stocked up on 6' guards.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dave said:

I was wondering the same thing about his size. Seems like we are all stocked up on 6' guards.

He also had very underwhelming stats on a team that went 10-21 and finished tied for 8th in the 10-team Ohio Valley. 10.4 points, 2.8 assists, and 2.2 turnovers per game, averaging 31 minutes and shooting 40.0% (30.3% on 3-pointers). I like 83.5% from the line, but that's about it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2031

12 hours ago, ORob1 said:

Rob

Yeah, "interest" is a funny term. I'm sure it makes the players look better if they have 20 teams "interested" but does that mean a player from ORU texted them (maybe an old AAU connection) or a call from our coaching staff, or one of our ORU staff following them on twitter (lol) , it's a vague term. I am also sure that DJ is a good player but his size and shooting % don't get me excited. I think starting two 6 foot tall guards all year was a weakness defensively and I'd love to see us go bigger at the position. My Dream duo of portal signings,so far, would be Camren Hunter and Jacob Germany. Both have ties to ORU and would be positions of need.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Have any of our guys entered or expected to enter the portal?

44 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Yeah, "interest" is a funny term. I'm sure it makes the players look better if they have 20 teams "interested" but does that mean a player from ORU texted them (maybe an old AAU connection) or a call from our coaching staff, or one of our ORU staff following them on twitter (lol) , it's a vague term. I am also sure that DJ is a good player but his size and shooting % don't get me excited. I think starting two 6 foot tall guards all year was a weakness defensively and I'd love to see us go bigger at the position. My Dream duo of portal signings,so far, would be Camren Hunter and Jacob Germany. Both have ties to ORU and would be positions of need.

Cameron had 19 against us this year in the Mabee Center.  What's his and Germany's connection to ORU?

Rob

image.thumb.png.726f0a55c8233eb851bf5f45d8abbbcc.png

18 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

Cameron had 19 against us this year in the Mabee Center.  What's his and Germany's connection to ORU?

Rob

image.thumb.png.726f0a55c8233eb851bf5f45d8abbbcc.png

They were both previously recruited by Mills. I’m not sure Jacob Germany(grew up in Oklahoma) ever considered us at the time as he was an upper level prospect in Oklahoma and our team was not good. However, times have changed and Mills has had good success with the portal and turning guys into strong contributors.
Camren has had good games against ORU two years in a row. He is not a super strong three point shooter (31%)  but he is a big bodied guard who rebounds and can really score going to the hoop. He also averaged 3 or 4 assists a game. We are also close to his home in Arkansas if that is important.

I find the portal very interesting , especially because twitter makes it so easy to follow what is going on. I’m wondering if it gives us a glimpse behind the curtain of what might be going on with the program. We seem to be showing interest in point guards. Does that mean max is for sure gone? Maybe some of our other seniors are potentially staying? Maybe our coaches are just doing due diligence on any potential fits? Time will tell I guess

1 hour ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

They were both previously recruited by Mills. I’m not sure Jacob Germany(grew up in Oklahoma) ever considered us at the time as he was an upper level prospect in Oklahoma and our team was not good. However, times have changed and Mills has had good success with the portal and turning guys into strong contributors.
Camren has had good games against ORU two years in a row. He is not a super strong three point shooter (31%)  but he is a big bodied guard who rebounds and can really score going to the hoop. He also averaged 3 or 4 assists a game. We are also close to his home in Arkansas if that is important.

I find the portal very interesting , especially because twitter makes it so easy to follow what is going on. I’m wondering if it gives us a glimpse behind the curtain of what might be going on with the program. We seem to be showing interest in point guards. Does that mean max is for sure gone? Maybe some of our other seniors are potentially staying? Maybe our coaches are just doing due diligence on any potential fits? Time will tell I guess

A member of the ORU staff tells me they would be "really surprised" if Max returned, and actually was taken aback that Max left the door open for that possibility in his post-Duke statements.

Could be that mentioning a possible fifth college year is intended to create a little leverage for negotiating a free agent or Euro contract...

• Upvote 4

I don't know much about Bijan or his playstyle but I believe ORU recruited him prior to signing at OU.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Could be that mentioning a possible fifth college year is intended to create a little leverage for negotiating a free agent or Euro contract...

Good point, and if true, a savvy business move by Max.

First-team All-Summit League and conference Freshman of the Year.

St. Thomas finding out the hard way that going D-1 isn't always sunshine and lollipops.

Wonder which Big Ten team is going to shower him with NIL money, and how much it's costing them?

• Upvote 1

what a blow for St Thomas.  goes to show how rare what Max did the last 2 years was.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

goes to show how rare what Max did the last 2 years was.

...particularly in the Summit League.

Ironic that this tweet came from a Midco Sports guy.  I'm convinced a contributing factor to losing high-level players in the Summit League is the lack of visibility for the league and its stars, and this is exemplified by the rinky-dink television contract.  It not only affects players being seen by family and friends "back home", it minimizes their "Q" rating for NIL deals.

Wanna keep the stars?  COME UP WITH A 21ST CENTURY BROADCAST PACKAGE AND QUIT PANDERING TO THE FROST BELT.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4