Transfer Portal 2023

Eaglefan 21

47 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

I wish DJ the best.  I would think that a big part of the consideration is ORU's limited graduate programs.  If he can get a scholarship for a grad program that suits his needs (especially if ORU does not offer it), then it is a no-brainer for him to go elsewhere.

I could be wrong, but I think he will have his masters done this spring, actually. 

• Upvote 1

Noticed there are several Vanderbilt players in the portal, most are guys who have been there 3+ years. I wonder if McBride has any connections with them as possible transfers? It worked out well with him!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

He red shirted his second year with knee problems.

Knee problems = torn ACL that year. 😀

Transfer portal eclipsed 1000 names today; still over six weeks till it closes in the middle of May.

That's already approx. 3 players per every team in D1; ORU doing well vs. the curve with only one portalnaut so far (DJ Weaver; Trey Phipps has withdrawn his name).

38 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Nate Clover is in the portal.

Not a big surprise, and hard to blame him.  He's been recruited-over and not utilized his entire ORU career.  Perhaps another "testing the waters" situation, but I bet he finds a home at a low-major or D2 where he can play a lot more.

The concern now is just how short the roster has become if DJ and Nate do find new homes.  With Connor presumably gone as well, the only current players over 6'5" are Patrick and Sir Issac, and neither are post players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Clover going to UAPB to play for Coach Bozeman, would make sense.  Plet did that last year and averaged about 5 points and 5 rebounds for the Lions.  Clover could probaly do the same.

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Clover going to UAPB to play for Coach Bozeman, would make sense.  Plet did that last year and averaged about 5 points and 5 rebounds for the Lions.  Clover could probaly do the same.

He would also be a good addition at Rogers State.  That place seems to find a lot of D1 players looking for more playing time and does well in the D-II circuit.

6 minutes ago, ORob2 said:

This is a tricky one; I'm guessing he wants to play at a P5 school or somewhere closer to home UNLESS he can find a good situation to play professionally overseas.

Regardless, as a senior, he's probably not returning to ORU, which is really no surprise.  He's been here three years and was a very reliable cog in three successful seasons.  Good luck, Kareem!

9 minutes ago, ORob2 said:

Good luck to Kareem. Really enjoyed watching him play!

Kareem had a great career at ORU and was a wonderful glue guy.

Best of luck, i'm betting he goes to WSU with Mills

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

Kareem had a great career at ORU and was a wonderful glue guy.

Best of luck, i'm betting he goes to WSU with Mills

Tempted to take the other side on that bet:  Mills must be very careful dealing with locker room chemistry to bring in one or more of his "old guys" for presumably a starting spot from Day One. 

The potential discord could outweigh the short-term benefit...

Just now, Old Titan said:

Tempted to take the other side on that bet:  Mills must be very careful dealing with locker room chemistry to bring in one or more of his "old guys" for presumably a starting spot from Day One. 

The potential discord could outweigh the short-term benefit...

I'm thinking Mills needs a couple guys that know the system and already have buy in.  

And no offense to Kareem, but I don't see P5 offers coming his way as you mentioned might be what he is looking for.

In the end, we are seeing players and coaches leaving ORU at the top.  Kareem was just a winner throughout his Eagle career.  That is the way to go, leave a winner!

Love that guy! Best wishes, Kareem!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1