ORU at St. Thomas

Old Titan

2 hours ago, SonofaLegend said:

Is there a safer place for the ball to be in the final minutes of the game (anywhere in college basketball) than Max Abmas hands? 

💯 🎯

Max can make the FTs if he's fouled, he can shoot the three, he can slash and drive with his scoop layup, he can shoot a floater.  As it has said, pick your poison, but keep it in Max's hands.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

💯 🎯

Max can make the FTs if he's fouled, he can shoot the three, he can slash and drive with his scoop layup, he can shoot a floater.  As it has said, pick you poison, but keep it in Max's hands.

Yes! As well as perhaps the highest BBIQ ever? I imagine us basketball purists will be analyzing and telling stories of him for years to come.

Last night down the stretch though, despite the Tommie's unbelievable assault, it became a chess game with the score. They refused to go away, and I was definitely a bit nervous towards the end, but you can just put so much faith that Max will close the game when needed. He is the reason for our record, and being on the winning side of several close games. IMHO.

Max's 27 points, should have been closer to 35. Officiating was awful last night against him. Not one player had the ability to Gaurd him, and had hands all over trying to not be left in the dust.  It improved after Mills gave them an earful, after Max was called for a pathetic charge. It seems to me like we have a better relationship/respect from refs this year, despite them not knowing how to officiate someone as skilled/athletic as him.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Old Titan said:

As I watched this video I couldn't help but think, here is a young man who is one of the hottest commodities in college basketball. He's mentioned in broadcasts and blogs across the country. The stacks of accolades and awards he's received are added to daily. In spite of that, he stopped for yet another "interview." In it he is charming, engaged, thoughtful, pleasant, complimentary of their competition, contemplative of the future. There is a presence about him rarely seen in young people today - or at any time, really. Confidence and poise exude from him and his words. Once again, I'm left impressed by Max's performance - this time OFF the court!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Good win for ORU. Not gonna beat everyone by 25-30 pts on the road and good to get a gut check victory in a hostile environment. I thought last night and the sleepy Saturday afternoon win at North Dakota were two of the best games of the year so far, gotta do it again tomorrow.

Nothing rattles these guys, there doesn't 'seem' to be a lot of bad on-court body language when there is a little adversity. Everyone just moves on to the next play, just do your job. Even when St. Thomas went up by 10 in the 1st half and had the crowd going, ORU never went outside of the offense and stormed back to outscore them 26-5 over the next 8 minutes.

I didn't even realize Weaver had 14 pts, Mwamba was everywhere. Kareem had averaged 11 pts and 7 rbs the last four games but had a quiet night offensively. Somebody always steps up when it's their night.

The last live game I was able to attend was at Houston Baptist** in December 2021. I overheard one of their fans refer to the ORU players as 'robots' lol. That was another game where the home team played with emotion early but ORU methodically pulled away and won by 20.

My only complaint is I thought Issac and Max took some quick shots early in the possessions toward the end of the 1st half. But again, that's the time to throw some daggers. Once the game got close again- back to the game plan, no rushed shots.

As always when traveling north, the officiating was spotty. Seems like they couldn't decide if they were gonna let 'em play or not.

**I know St. Thomas' arena is small but it can't be worse than Sharp Gym at HBU, which seats maybe 200 paid fans. They were also not set up to accept card payments for game tickets, just one lone student with a folding table and cash box, with no ATM on campus. I'm not sure how a Division I program has facilities like that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/9/2023 at 11:25 PM, Texasgrip said:

Yes. None of the Summit streams work for me unless I disable my ad blocker (Chrome on Mac).

( @Otis 83 thought you might want to know. 🤣)

Okay you guys have officially drawn me offsides.  I tried to walk away but I just couldn't.

Why does the browser even matter?  Why aren't you streaming on your phone or tablet and casting the stream to your smart TV?  It is 2023 friends!  You don't have to gather the family around the IBM ThinkPad in order to watch the game.

1 minute ago, Otis 83 said:

Okay you guys have officially drawn me offsides.  I tried to walk away but I just couldn't.

Why does the browser even matter?  Why aren't you streaming on your phone or tablet and casting the stream to your smart TV?  It is 2023 friends!  You don't have to gather the family around the IBM ThinkPad in order to watch the game.

YES!!!  I, too, have been wanting to say it, but couldn’t get up the nerve!!  THANK YOU, Otis!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Bra, I gotta 29" iMac sitting 12" from my face on the desk in my home office.

I don't need no sketch resolution by streaming from my phone to my flat screen on the wall across the room.

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Bra, I gotta 29" iMac sitting 12" from my face on the desk in my home office.

I don't need no sketch resolution by streaming from my phone to my flat screen on the wall across the room.

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Okay so that's one  person with an excuse I guess.  

• Like 1

St. Thomas wins at home by 30 over KC tonight!  That just further proves how good they are at home.

I'm a stat geek, as my previous posts will validate.  Therefore, I am curious as to what procedures and protocols are in place for when an error occurs in the official box score. Of course, this NEVER happened when OT and I were on the ORU stat crew! 😉

Last Thursday night at St. Thomas, with 3:38 left in the first half, Carlos receives a pass from Kareem on a fast-break, drives into the lane, makes the basket and is fouled for a chance at the and-1.  He converts the free throw to complete the three-point play.  The play-by-play log records the basket to Carlos and the assist to Kareem, but (inexplicably) gives credit for the made free throw to DJ.  And, this error is also reflected in the official box score for the game.

On the broadcast, Adam mentioned during halftime that he had Carlos with an additional free throw than the stats, and in the post-game interview, he states that Carlos scored 21 and then Coach Mills (reading the box score) "corrects" Adam by saying that Carlos had 20.  I also remembered that Carlos had made an additional free throw, which is what caused me to go back to review the play-by-play log.

So, does ORU have the "authority" to adjust the stats for their players for an obvious error, or would it require UST to amend the official box score, or would the League need to approve the change?  Is there a "statute of limitations" on how long after a game the stats can be revised?

I know that it is only one point, but the 20 points was also a season high for Carlos, and I'd prefer that he gets credit for the full 21. And, his free throw percentage could use the benefit of another made free throw! 🤣  Does anyone have any insights on the process and protocols in this situation?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I'm a stat geek, as my previous posts will validate.  Therefore, I am curious as to what procedures and protocols are in place for when an error occurs in the official box score. Of course, this NEVER happened when OT and I were on the ORU stat crew! 😉

Last Thursday night at St. Thomas, with 3:38 left in the first half, Carlos receives a pass from Kareem on a fast-break, drives into the lane, makes the basket and is fouled for a chance at the and-1.  He converts the free throw to complete the three-point play.  The play-by-play log records the basket to Carlos and the assist to Kareem, but (inexplicably) gives credit for the made free throw to DJ.  And, this error is also reflected in the official box score for the game.

On the broadcast, Adam mentioned during halftime that he had Carlos with an additional free throw than the stats, and in the post-game interview, he states that Carlos scored 21 and then Coach Mills (reading the box score) "corrects" Adam by saying that Carlos had 20.  I also remembered that Carlos had made an additional free throw, which is what caused me to go back to review the play-by-play log.

So, does ORU have the "authority" to adjust the stats for their players for an obvious error, or would it require UST to amend the official box score, or would the League need to approve the change?  Is there a "statute of limitations" on how long after a game the stats can be revised?

I know that it is only one point, but the 20 points was also a season high for Carlos, and I'd prefer that he gets credit for the full 21. And, his free throw percentage could use the benefit of another made free throw! 🤣  Does anyone have any insights on the process and protocols in this situation?

Great catch - that's pretty egregious, even for just one point. I doubt anyone at ORU or St. Thomas even noticed. But you're right - Carlos should get that extra point on his season high!

I'd say email the SID, if you can figure out who that is with all the new titles - maybe Assistant A.D./Athletic Communications (MBB, MSOC, WSOC, GOLF, TEN)? https://oruathletics.com/staff-directory. Or maybe someone at St. Thomas directly: https://tommiesports.com/staff-directory

28 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

Great catch - that's pretty egregious, even for just one point. I doubt anyone at ORU or St. Thomas even noticed. But you're right - Carlos should get that extra point on his season high!

I'd say email the SID, if you can figure out who that is with all the new titles - maybe Assistant A.D./Athletic Communications (MBB, MSOC, WSOC, GOLF, TEN)? https://oruathletics.com/staff-directory. Or maybe someone at St. Thomas directly: https://tommiesports.com/staff-directory

Excellent suggestion, Tex.  I've sent the email, and will let you know the result! #givecarloshispoint

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

The ORUSports message board strikes again…

"Don't mess with the message board!!"

12 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I received a response within 45 minutes after sending the message (yet another reason to love ORU).  ORU had caught the error and contacted UST, since the official stats ARE the responsibility of the home team (an answer to one of my questions).  UST is in agreement with the correction and has agreed to take care of it within their system, which should then feed into the NCAA stats.  Once completed, UST will send the corrected box score file to ORU, and it will be uploaded to their system. Carlos gets his point!

I'm very glad ORU was on top of this (and responded to me), and it was interesting to better understand how the whole process works!

Good work, Blue!!

40 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I received a response within 45 minutes after sending the message (yet another reason to love ORU).  ORU had caught the error and contacted UST, since the official stats ARE the responsibility of the home team (an answer to one of my questions).  UST is in agreement with the correction and has agreed to take care of it within their system, which should then feed into the NCAA stats.  Once completed, UST will send the corrected box score file to ORU, and it will be uploaded to their system. Carlos gets his point!

I'm very glad ORU was on top of this (and responded to me), and it was interesting to better understand how the whole process works!

Not all hero’s wear capes! Well done