at Tulsa

Old Titan

31 minutes ago, darrenj said:

Goodness! That is rough looking! The glory days are definitely in the past. Is school out already? If not that is really bad. 

School may be out or on finals week, but TU has traditionally only drawn students when they were nationally ranked, and even then it's a spotty student crowd.  Same as their football program...

55 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

How does TU get Detroit Mercy for an away game and ORU can't?.....Tulsa can't be paying them with 250 people in attendence.....in fact, TU gets a lot of decent home games.....🥺

Actual attendence doesn't have as big of an impact on the bottom line, as you might think. Like ORU, most of the monies are collected thru sponsorships. This is also how we can claim "most season tickets sold in X amount of years", as the majority of season tickets "sold" are sponsors and corporate sales. When XYZ company signs a sponsorship, we give them a number of season tickets as one of the benefits. The actual number of individuals that just purchase season tickets (at places like ORU & TU) is miniscule, nowadays. The number is in the low hundreds. It's the way of the world nowadays. 

All of that said, ORU and Paul Mills owe a LOT to a gentleman by the name of Abmas. Without him, and the miracle Sweet 16 run, things would look very similar at 81st & Lewis. I mean, the Mills era is below .500 basketball and not even close to a conference title. Can you imagine the past few years record (and no Sweet 16 mania), if Max had not come to ORU? Not to mention sponsorships/butts in the seats. Seriously, Max Abmas doesn't get near enough credit...and he gets A LOT of credit. His presence has raised untold MILLIONS for ORU and made a lot of folks a lot of money and look really good. 

• Upvote 6

Coach Mills is far from perfect and has his shortcomings but the dude took over a wasteland of a program at ORU and has turned it into a very good mid major....has recruited some quality scholar athletes who have had ZERO negative publicity and all seem to be good teammates....the general student body seems to like the team and the coach....attendance and support is up overall......and bottom line is ORU Basketball in a better place then it was in early 2017???...TheEagleman would have to say YES.....sure we still have room for improvement but cut the complaining...especially during the Holiday season....Happy Hannakuh!!...:hc_mills:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Coach Mills is far from perfect and has his shortcomings but the dude took over a wasteland of a program at ORU and has turned it into a very good mid major....has recruited some quality scholar athletes who have had ZERO negative publicity and all seem to be good teammates....the general student body seems to like the team and the coach....attendance and support is up overall......and bottom line is ORU Basketball in a better place then it was in early 2017???...TheEagleman would have to say YES.....sure we still have room for improvement but cut the complaining...especially during the Holiday season....Happy Hannakuh!!...:hc_mills:

Don't take me wrong. Not complaining. Just giving the credit to the man that deserves 95% of it. 

And, his name is Max Abmas. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that Abmas deserves a ton of credit, but Mills did recruit Abmas when not a lot of schools were. There was also Kevin Obanor. Mills seems to be recruiting guys who want to come to ORU because they like the university, not just because they want to play basketball. Otherwise, I don’t know how he’s been able to keep the roster turnover down (relatively speaking) in this crazy transfer portal era. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

It’s always funny when people say things like “imagine how unsuccessful this person would be if they had not achieved success in that area.” 

I’m sure Coach Mills would be the first to say he owes Max a lot of credit for playing high level basketball and being a great representative for ORU. And I’m also sure Max would be the first to say he owes Coach Mills a lot of credit for believing in him and creating a style of play that caters to what he does exceptionally well. 

Not the point I was trying to get across, but no biggie. The record speaks for itself, but there are a few ways of looking at it. I think we can ALL agree that we want ORU to win conference titles and make the dance, regularly. And honestly, I hope I'm proven wrong about the long term viability of Coach Mills. The remainder of this season and next, will tell the tale. 

There is no reason why this team shouldn't win the conference title and NCAA bid. Here's to hoping that comes to fruition! 

• Upvote 1