at Tulsa

Old Titan

43 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

It was a great atmosphere out there, for sure,” he said. “The Cup coming up on the road, knowing that we’ll have some fans here, but just the Mayor’s Cup in general, it’s just so big, not only for us, but for our alums. We know how important it is to them, so we just want to go out there and do what we can to keep the Mayor’s Cup where it belongs.

LOVE this quote from Max.  He SO gets it!

I was also impressed (stunned, actually) that the TU ESPN+ broadcast named Max as the Player of the Game and invited him on their set for the post-game interview (where he had a similar quote about ORU Alumni).  I don't think I've ever seen that happen during an away game broadcast, but it was a classy move.

Another highlight from the broadcast... "Max Abmas is back to his high standard of play... and that's not good news for the Summit League!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

7327B33D-0507-4F60-B9C0-EDF35EDEA310.jpeg

Nice spread and great publicity.  But the error in the second paragraph of “the Golden Eagles claimed their fourth consecutive victory in the rivalry” is pretty egregious.  It used to be that you could get fired for that.  Now you’re just called a journalist. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

LOVE this quote from Max.  He SO gets it!

I was also impressed (stunned, actually) that the TU ESPN+ broadcast named Max as the Player of the Game and invited him on their set for the post-game interview (where he had a similar quote about ORU Alumni).  I don't think I've ever seen that happen during an away game broadcast, but it was a classy move.

Another highlight from the broadcast... "Max Abmas is back to his high standard of play... and that's not good news for the Summit League!"

I thought the TU announcers did an outstanding job on the ESPN+ broadcast. Very impressed.

• Like 1

Pooh Williamson (former TU point guard) is a class act and seems be a very nice person. I’m a little surprised he’s not (back) on their coaching staff. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I know you're just being nice, KH, but we both know that this is not really a "may be".  "Probably" or "definitely" would be more accurate.  While I am thrilled with the outcome, and with our effort on the road in a rivalry game, we really didn't shoot the ball that well - and would have won by 20+ if we had.  Tulsa is just not a very good team right now - and I'm so grateful our guys gutted it out, or we would be looking back at this at the end of the season as a really bad loss.

Agree with your assessment 100%. It's great to win but ORU shot it pretty poorly.

Is there any player on TU's roster outside of maybe Griffin that would see the floor at ORU? And absolutely zero chance Griffin could start.

Time will tell if Konkol can turn it around.

• Upvote 2

Got to watch the game this morning and was really impressed when DJ and Pat Mwamba shared the floor...defense and rebounding improved noticeably. 

Really wish that Thompson follow dunk had went

Tulsa appears to be in for a long season 🤣😜🤪

• Upvote 3

I liked the new center that TU has from the junior college ranks: Bryant S.  He looks good around the rim and should be a regular double double type player for the Hurricane.  He gave Connor some problems in the paint and is about 8 inches shorter than Plastic Man.

It is safe to say that ORU is getting better but has not peaked yet.  Then again it is December and no one wants a team to peak this early.  As long as the Eagles stay healthy and get Sir Isaac back soon, then they still have a good chance to make a run in March.  The pieces are there with Patrick being the real X factor.

I like the defensive intensity that Max brought in the second half. He got a really nice steal from Pritchard I think. Then not long after, he hit his head when he almost got another steal. If he hadn’t hustled and got a hand on that pass, it would’ve been an open 3 for TU. Mwamba was great too on defense. He is a rare talent in that he can guard any position.

I thought some of the communication issues early in the game may have been due to coach Mills trying some different strategies defensively. It seemed like we were switching more than normal, and there were some switches that weren’t communicated well. The second half was much better in that regard. 

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The highlight that was missing from the reel was Reems up and under in traffic under the basket. 

• Like 1

At some point maybe when the kids go to bed I need to rewatch that second half

It’s bigger than the 3.4mb - will figure how to post somewhere 

We need to see Thompson and Jurgens to keep playing like they did against TU. If they do, we will be very tough - especially with Mwamba on the court. 

Mwamba may very well be the guy who causes the team to not miss Lufile nearly as much. 

• Upvote 1

Lufile who???😉