at Tulsa

Old Titan

And NOW, it gets really interesting...

So far, this season has completely followed "chalk":  lost as double-digit dogs in three road games, pummeled four non D1's at home as expected, and turned in a Jekyll & Hyde performance as a favorite at Texas Southern that at the time felt good, but in hindsight would have been a terrible loss considering TSU is 1-7 on the young season.

Tulsa (2-4) presents a totally different animal:  a talented yet flawed opponent in fairly civil surroundings only 8 miles from campus.  Would not be surprised to see ORU installed as a favorite by the Vegas wiseguys, but I'm expecting it to open with the Golden Hurlicane a 1-to-3 point favorite at home.

My thoughts on this TU team have already been documented: they are dangerous in terms of physicality and skill, but so incredibly undisciplined (and flagrantly dirty) that there's no way to know what to expect from them over a full 40 minutes.  They could get on a roll at any time and go up by double digits, then implode with lightning speed, and have even quit on their new coach when the going got tough in at least two games that I've watched.  Will the home court bring out their best, or tighten them up even more?

This is a fascinating crossroads for ORU:  win this game and launch a fairy book homestand in December, or lose it and continue the questioning of Paul Mills' inability to win road games.  It's frankly a game ORU SHOULD win, but CAN they in their current underachieving (arguably) status?

Hard to predict - "We'll see!"

• Like 3

You hit it OT: ORU has been such an up and down team this year.  With all the experience they brought back, one would think they would not be such a mystery so far.  This would be a good time to put together a complete game.  Max had 38 points versus Tulsa last year and hopefully has another big game this year.  

Looking at Tulsa's stats and the one thing that jumps out is that they hold opponents to 27% from three.   So if the Eagles just expect to live and die from the three, then it may be a long afternoon.  Would be nice to win one on the road.  Obi hit the game winner 7 years ago to win in 2015, so ORU is due!

• Upvote 1

This is a MUST win.....always disappointing to lose to those clowns at 11th and Harvard.....Max needs a big game....and maybe Phipps can hang up another 30 on Saturday Afternoon.....unfortunately TheEagleman will be out and can't watch but will be following on my phone....We have 72 hours to prepare.....looking forward to the discussion here on ORUSPORTS.com.....hard to know which ORU team will show up....hopefully the players are stoked for this rivalry game.....TU doesn't like us and they surely don't respect us....so we just need to beat them like a drum.....to TheEagleman this is the one game I want ORU to win.....i have detested that school across town since 1972 when they were scared to play ORU....and frankly we all know they still would prefer NOT to play this game.....so let's kick some A$$....TheEagleman will email Coach Mills this week just to remind him how I feel.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

As OT noted, the first five games have gone "as expected".  We've lost three Quadrant 1 games (although we were very competitive in two of the three), and won all five Quadrant 4 games (with some lackluster performances).

The next five games are HUGE, beginning with Saturday at Tulsa.

Four of the next five games will be "Quadrant 3" games, with Central Arkansas the only outlier (Q4).  And, all five games are within the Tulsa city limits.

After these five games, the rest of the season will include only three Q3 games (all on the road) and fourteen Q4 games.  So, if ORU is to make a statement this regular season, NOW is the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

To their credit, some TU fans are none too thrilled with their new trash-talkin', fight-startin', nut-punchin', T-drawin' roster, as indicated by these message board comments just this morning...

TU chippy 1.jpeg

Hopefully a lot of ORU students will make the trip crosstown.....heard a rumor that Old Titan and ORUTerry are providing free rides for needy kids at 7777 So. Lewis.....:hc_mills:

• Like 1

I think the common theme on the message board is ORU has been an up and down team this year. I am surprised at this as our team has a lot of older veteran players. Although it would be nice to win our next 5 games and make a strong statement what will our team look like in March? 2 years ago we finished 4th in our conference and until we beat NDSU no one was talking about us. Then last year comes along St Petes and they finished 3rd or 4th in their conference and were virtually unheard of the entire season. So this coming March will somehow someway ORU get it together and make another magical run in the NCAA tournament? Last year SDSU really seemed built to make a run in the tournament but they laid a goose egg! So many factors go into a March run and I predict some not so well known team will make noise in the tourney, we all sure  hope it is ORU again!

• Upvote 1

Maybe another Christian themed school makes a run (hence St. Peter's and ORU)  How about Liberty?  We will see in a few weeks how good they are.  Is it safe to say that TU is ORU's biggest rivalry?  Cannot really even think of any others. 

I like our chances in this game. I don’t think TU is in the same stratosphere as Utah State or Saint Mary’s, and ORU competed with those guys in much more hostile environments. I actually think ORU has had a good season so far all things considered. We have so much depth that Max hasn’t needed to be otherworldly in order to compete. That’s a good thing to me. When Max gets back to form, watch out! I can’t think of a better game to break out of his slump than against TU. I’m not one to make predictions, but I’m taking ORU 87-75 in this one. 

• Upvote 1

This game should come down to guard play.  TU has some solid guards, with Sam Griffith being the engine that makes their offense go.  He had 27 points versus Oregon State.  So he is number one on the scouting report.  The Eagles need Carlos to make life tough on him.  

On defense, TU's coach is known for trapping and trying to turn teams over.  ORU usually does a good job of handling the ball and hopefully Max can avoid some costly turnovers as the game goes on.  On a side note: McBride has a 4.5 assist to turnover rate this season: 27 assists to just 6 turnovers!  Must be close to the top ten in the nation.  Just found out he is 7th in the nation.

48 hours from tip-off, and no mention of Saturday's game yet on the TU message board.

In fact, only 4 posts of ANY kind since Monday night on the TU Men's Basketball forum, and they were all related to concern over TU's poor sportsmanship so far this season.

Sad!  I attribute it to the following:

1. Overall lack of enthusiasm due to the slow start under the new coach.
  2. Hangover from the epic beatdown received in Stillwater Friday night.
  3. Traditional arrogant indifference re: playing ORU.
  4. Unspoken dread they might suffer another loss to the Golden Eagles, this time on their own floor (ORU's last win in the Reynolds Center was back in 2015, when Obi Emagano hit the game-winner in a 70-68 thriller).

Here's guessing there will be some discussion by Friday night, once the drinks start to kick in...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ctt8410 said:

Football coaching change has taken everyone's attention. And many of the quality posters have migrated to the pay board.

Would expect a high-scoring game. Our guards have been painfully easy to beat off the dribble and the full court 1-2-2 has frequently been too passive to force turnovers. We'll play exclusively man-to-man with minimal switching and a concerted effort to run shooters off the 3-pt line, so would expect a big game from someone like Jurgens who can get downhill and score in the paint. 

This TU team has shown the ability to go on 15-0 runs when Griffin, Betson, and Dalger are hitting shots, but the PG play has been a huge weakness with Pritchard failing to take a step forward so far. Selebangue has been much-needed addition as a rebounding presence, but he's more of an opportunistic scorer than a guy who can routinely beat you posting up. 

Would expect (hope?) that 8 days off and finally playing a home game gives this team a boost. They looked steadily less energized as that stretch of road games dragged on. And, unlike previous TU coaches, I think Konkol will have this one circled on the calendar.

If you're going to the game, I would be interested to hear thoughts on the arena presentation/atmosphere compared to previous games. There's been considerable effort to make improvements in that area, including case studies on ORU's gameday experience in recent years, and it seems to be working. Frankly, neither side benefits if the game is played in a sterile, lifeless environment like the Reynolds Center had turned into the past couple meetings.

CT, always enjoy the insight and civility of your annual Mayor's Cup pregame post, in stark contrast to my grumpy missives.

I'm attending the game with a friend and his wife right in the heart of the TU season ticket holders; I will try my best afterward to provide a fair and constructive assessment of the gameday experience.

But, as you and everyone else on here knows, you can't count on me not losing my religion afterward, either... 🤬