at Tulsa

Old Titan

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

I do think it was classless for the students to chant, "TU Sucks!" (regardless of whether it is true or not).  🤣  I think that we will get that cleaned up in the future games.  

I agree with you on that one. I was in that area. Students are students, but they did have a leader that supposedly somewhat organizes. The Nest or something it’s called. They should not have chanted during the alma mater either. The TU band was chanting “that’s not Christian” during the second half when the Oru students and TU students were going back and forth. 

• Like 1

Good win, couple of observations. I'm hoping to watch the game again this weekend when time allows.

-Good to have Max back. He scored well and had some nice passes. Anyone else notice his 3 pointer to end the half was nearly identical to the shot he missed verus Arkansas in the sweet 16? I bet he has taken that shot 10,000 times since that night. Glad it fell.

- We missed a lot of wide open shots. If half of those shots fell we would have won by 20. Also, McBride doesn't score? Could have been really ugly for TU.

- The committee approach to guarding Griffin was good. Everyone made life tough on him. The few shots he hit were mostly with our guys draped all over him, he's a good player.

- 3 free throws for us? Tulsa only made half of theirs.

-We were outrebounded in total rebounds but we had more offensive rebounds. Thompson, Weaver, and Mwamba crashed the glass hard in the 2nd half. It made a huge difference when shots weren't falling. If we can replace Lufile by commitee I think things will be ok.

- I think this was one of Mill's best gameplans in a while. The guys were locked in and the offense was doing things I haven't seen yet this year. Lots of cuts from the players not involved in the pick and pop, it was great to see.

- Ball movement was great, best i've seen all year.

-Anybody else know that Kareem had that kind of UP's before this year? If he would have put back that dunk in the 2nd half I think he would have made Sportscenter for the night.

-Love Mwamba, he does it all. He was just what this teams needs. I kind of love that he comes off the bench, what poor freshman opponent wants to tango with that guy. Patrick looks like a grown man!

-I think the summit league teams will watch the tape from this game on how to attack Vanover. Tulsa's bigs were strong dude' and took it right at him. We may still need to double team a bit to help him out.

- Would Tulsa be a top 3 team in the summit league?

- Phipps missed his open 3 but he had several nice passes that our shooters missed and at least one nice steal.

- Always great to beat TU.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

TU student body deciding what's "christian"....gotta love that...😋

8 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TU student body deciding what's "christian"....gotta love that...😋

I’ll take Irony & Hypocrisy for $300 Alex. 

It kills me when fans that will say horrible and profane things to our team and our fans tell us we aren’t “Christian.”

Ahhh....now that's a celebration TheEagleman LOVES watching.....God Bless our ORU Men's Basketball Team!!! Would love to see more than a 25 second clip of that locker room stuff if somebody has it.....GO BLUE!!! :shield-logo:

If the students are legitimately chanting TU sucks, someone needs to walk over and spank their butts. They want to represent my school and chant garbage, they need someone to put them in check. If i had been there I would have chewed them out. my 2 cents

8 minutes ago, wakeflip1 said:

If the students are legitimately chanting TU sucks, someone needs to walk over and spank their butts. They want to represent my school and chant garbage, they need someone to put them in check. If i had been there I would have chewed them out. my 2 cents

Like mentioned earlier, I think it will be addressed.  President Wilson was at the game too today and heard that, so something tells me it will be taken care of. 😃

TheEagleman can say one thing for certain......Oral wouldn't have been pleased......but I sure am.....😎

Please forgive me....I know not what I do.....😉

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman can say one thing for certain......Oral wouldn't have been pleased......but I sure am.....😎

Please forgive me....I know not what I do.....😉

Yeah, Oral would have gone over there and spanked them during the game probably. 🤣

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what the Tulsa media has to say in the next few days.  Sure they will spin it that TU is rebuilding and has a new coach, etc.  It will most likely be a long year for the Hurricane, especially when they get to AAC play and run into Houston, Memphis, Tulane, Cincinnati, etc.  May be in for another losing season.

In a game full of “Wow!” moments for Patrick Mwamba, the most impressive failed to register in the box score.  But listen to the gasp from the crowd when he does it!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

- Would Tulsa be a top 3 team in the summit league?

No Way What GIF

• Haha 1

Max had his highest scoring output since March 7, 2022 loss in the Summit Conference Tournament to NDSU (When he also scored 28).

Tulsa World: Huge game from Max Abmas lifts ORU men to Mayor’s Cup win over TU

Abmas said the Mayor’s Cup meant a lot to him and that the energetic environment made the game fun to play.

It was a great atmosphere out there, for sure,” he said. “The Cup coming up on the road, knowing that we’ll have some fans here, but just the Mayor’s Cup in general, it’s just so big, not only for us, but for our alums. We know how important it is to them, so we just want to go out there and do what we can to keep the Mayor’s Cup where it belongs.

A quote from Mills about the spill Max took diving after the loose ball late in the game:

Injury scare: Abmas dove for a lose ball and hit the back of his head in the process with 5:28 remaining and stayed down for several moments. He got up slowly and seemed to be shaken up, but he ended up not missing any action because Mills called time out and when play resumed, Abmas was ready to go back in.

“I just saw a loose ball and I was going to dive and try to get it, so I hit my head on his knee, but I’m all good,” Abmas said. “I’ll be good next game.”

“When you watch Max go down, he’s pretty resilient, I’ve seen him go down a lot, he bounces back,” Mills added. “We called a time out right after that, I said, ‘Hey, you okay?’ He said, ‘Do NOT take me out.’ So I was going to go by whatever he told me. … We’ll get concussion protocol and he’ll be all right, but he’s a really tough kid.”

In games played Max is averaging 33.25 minutes with his first 40 minute contest being the Mayors Cup. I hope we see a return to the low 30s in terms of usage against Central Arkansas.

9 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It will be interesting to see what the Tulsa media has to say in the next few days.  Sure they will spin it that TU is rebuilding and has a new coach, etc.  It will most likely be a long year for the Hurricane, especially when they get to AAC play and run into Houston, Memphis, Tulane, Cincinnati, etc.  May be in for another losing season.

I know you're just being nice, KH, but we both know that this is not really a "may be".  "Probably" or "definitely" would be more accurate.  While I am thrilled with the outcome, and with our effort on the road in a rivalry game, we really didn't shoot the ball that well - and would have won by 20+ if we had.  Tulsa is just not a very good team right now - and I'm so grateful our guys gutted it out, or we would be looking back at this at the end of the season as a really bad loss.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Idig32 said:

The ORU students clearly aggravated some TU fans. After the game, a TU fan told my Mom (who was wearing an ORU shirt) that the ORU students were really disrespectful. She couldn’t believe that they would start chanting during the TU Alma Mater! It was funny because neither I nor my mom, or anyone else in our group ever went to ORU or have any real connection with the school except having a lot of fun rooting for the team and appreciating the University’s mission. There wasn’t really anything  we could do except laugh about it afterwards. 

BREAKING NEWS: After carefully reviewing the video of the post game celebration their is strong suspicion that our beloved OT was leading the student body in the chant!!

• Haha 2