at Tulsa

Old Titan

Isn't Eric Konkol's woven belt with the clamping buckle (which he wears every game) the same kind we all discarded from pants our moms bought at Sears in grade school?

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding - it's actually a popular golfer's belt with lots of hidden features, but it's still an unusual look for a basketball coach.  Just wanted to prove our coach is not alone in my sartorial assaults re: sideline attire).

TheEagleman still basking in the glow of a wonderful double digit victory over Tulsa on their court....just a lovely thing and we will have a full week to enjoy it before the Good Guys take on Central Arkansas at Mabee next Saturday night...Five straight home games....who would have thunk it?....speaking of thinking....TheEagleman has had a full 24 hours now to mull over our student chanting during the TU Alma Mater.....in retrospect, while i love the efforts of beloved ORU students it was probably in poor taste to do that during their song....and honestly I always have believed in respecting the home venue where we were guests....if they had done it at Mabee....well, perhaps not as bad but questionable timing yesterday for sure....totally agree that President Wilson will have a few words to say in the next chapel.....in the good old days, President Roberts would have put a stop to it right there.....TheEagleman recalls a game at Mabee about 50 years ago where there was a questionable officiating call that elicited major booing from the overflow student section behind the basket....OR  who was a tall man at about 6-4 rose from his mid court seat and raised his hands like Moses parting the Red Sea....within seconds the student section was silent as a bunch of sleeping lambs.....and in the next chapel Pres. Roberts spoke about it and how he did not want to hear negative stuff from anyone at Mabee Center.....sort of killed our home advantage but when Oral spoke....we listened.....so TheEagleman would expect a stern rebuke from Billy this week....that said....TheEagleman would love to salute each and every student in attendance yesterday.....God Bless you, everyone!!!  👍:tb-white:👍

On 12/1/2022 at 12:56 PM, ctt8410 said:

If you're going to the game, I would be interested to hear thoughts on the arena presentation/atmosphere compared to previous games. There's been considerable effort to make improvements in that area, including case studies on ORU's gameday experience in recent years, and it seems to be working. Frankly, neither side benefits if the game is played in a sterile, lifeless environment like the Reynolds Center had turned into the past couple meetings.

Thoughts on TU game ops:

• The pregame notification on Twitter and such for "If You're Attending The Game Today" was excellent in terms of content and graphics.
  • The little "GAME TODAY" yard signs around campus are visually effective, but labor-intensive to distribute and pick-up afterward.  Is as much effort being made to get the word out to students via social media and mobile phone apps?
  • Parking is still (and apparently always will be) a problem around the Reynolds Center, but I noticed a shuttle bus running folks from somewhere and dropping them off curbside.  I'm guessing that was not available from the neighborhood street that I parked on two blocks east of Harvard (lol).
  • The recorded PA announcements outside the building as fans walk up are very effective, featuring the dulcet tones of long-time TU radio voice Bruce Howard.
  • The sax player in the foyer at the northwest entrance pre- and post-game was PHENOMENAL.  He also did an outstanding job on the national anthem.
  • The sound system had a bad echo; difficult to understand what the PA guy was saying at times; same on pre-recorded audio.  Wondering if that's a structural issue, an equipment problem, or what.
  • The hand-held mic was even worse; kept cutting in and out, due to reception issues or maybe just an old battery?
  • Player introductions seemed a bit overcooked; do we REALLY need an extended video, AND flame throwers, AND smoke, AND pyrotechnics, AND etc., etc., etc.?  Plus, the mobile phone app intended to produce a "light show" leading up to the intros would be more effective with either more fans, or concentrated in a smaller area.  As it was, sprinkled amongst just a few dozen willing participants throughout the less-than-half-full arena, it kinda just punctuated that the crowd was a little sparse.
  • I guess all "hype guys" are universally annoying.  Or, in this case, does "he" prefer to be called "they"? 😬. Simply could not understand what he was saying most of the time, or why we were expected to get so excited about someone attempting a half-court shot?
  • The beautiful digital scoreboards need new software.  I shouldn't have to look in three different spots in the arena to find the score, Max Abmas' point total, and ORU's shooting percentage.  Also, the big stats tote board in the end zone needs to scroll MUCH faster.  Takes a minute or two for it to go through a complete cycle; it should do that in less than 30 seconds.  Feels like waiting for my mom to find the cable channel with the game on it at her place:  "JUST HAND ME THE $%@$&#% REMOTE!!"
  • The halftime political pitch at mid-court from the Native American tribal chief candidate felt REALLY awkward, such as when he said "I love everyone, from TU and RU".  Do his opponents in the election get equal time at upcoming games?
  • The show dogs were cute, but honestly I expected more. Seen so many of these dog acts over the years I’ve become a little jaded.  They were OK, just nothing memorable - wondering how much they cost?
  • The full-court CGI air hockey contest was just about the coolest media timeout promotion I've seen in YEARS.  You had to see it to appreciate it; I could watch that EVERY timeout!
  • The t-shirt "Gatling gun" was impressive, but apparently designed for much larger arenas - maybe a little less Co2 is in order?  Much of its payload of t-shirts and mini-basketballs ended up hitting the banners lining the back wall of the arena and falling straight down onto the heads of the fans in the back rows.  "Oh, the humanity!" cried Les Nessman (Google it...).
  • The PA guy was very professional and did absolutely nothing to draw attention to himself.  WHAT A CONCEPT!
  • I'm sorry to say I did not notice the band.  Was there a band?  That can't be a good sign if it made no impression, can it?  Oh, wait I DO remember the band - during the post game alma mater...
  • The cheerleaders were fine, I guess.  They looked like all cheerleaders:  they do their thing, they look cute doing it, but no one takes much notice.  Kinda like flight attendants doing their safety presentation before take-off.

All in all, very impressed - ORU could learn a thing of two from some of the new innovations. 

But sadly, all the game ops in the world won't move the attendance needle if the team disappoints and there's no students there.  Gotta win the hearts and minds of those students to build genuine excitement in the arena!  And, you know how you do that?  BRIBE THEM WITH FOOD AND GIFTS!! lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Tulsa is just not a very good team right now - and I'm so grateful our guys gutted it out, or we would be looking back at this at the end of the season as a really bad loss.

NCAA NET rankings are out and TU is at 234...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Thoughts on TU game ops:

• The pregame notification on Twitter and such for "If You're Attending The Game Today" was excellent in terms of content and graphics.
  • The little "GAME TODAY" yard signs around campus are visually effective, but labor-intensive to distribute and pick-up afterward.  Is as much effort being made to get the word out to students via social media and mobile phone apps?
  • Parking is still (and apparently always will be) a problem around the Reynolds Center, but I noticed a shuttle bus running folks from somewhere and dropping them off curbside.  I'm guessing that was not available from the neighborhood street that I parked on two blocks east of Harvard (lol).
  • The recorded PA announcements outside the building as fans walk up are very effective, featuring the dulcet tones of long-time TU radio voice Bruce Howard.
  • The sax player in the foyer at the northwest entrance pre- and post-game was PHENOMENAL.  He also did an outstanding job on the national anthem.
  • The sound system had a bad echo; difficult to understand what the PA guy was saying at times; same on pre-recorded audio.  Wondering if that's a structural issue, an equipment problem, or what.
  • The hand-held mic was even worse; kept cutting in and out, due to reception issues or maybe just an old battery?
  • Player introductions seemed a bit overcooked; do we REALLY need an extended video, AND flame throwers, AND smoke, AND pyrotechnics, AND etc., etc., etc.?  Plus, the mobile phone app intended to produce a "light show" leading up to the intros would be more effective with either more fans, or concentrated in a smaller area.  As it was, sprinkled amongst just a few dozen willing participants throughout the less-than-half-full arena, it kinda just punctuated that the crowd was a little sparse.
  • I guess all "hype guys" are universally annoying.  Or, in this case, does "he" prefer to be called "they"? 😬. Simply could not understand what he was saying most of the time, or why we were expected to get so excited about someone attempting a half-court shot?
  • The beautiful digital scoreboards need new software.  I shouldn't have to look in three different spots in the arena to find the score, Max Abmas' point total, and ORU's shooting percentage.  Also, the big stats tote board in the end zone needs to scroll MUCH faster.  Takes a minute or two for it to go through a complete cycle; it should do that in less than 30 seconds.  Feels like waiting for my mom to find the cable channel with the game on it at her place:  "JUST HAND ME THE $%@$&#% REMOTE!!"
  • The halftime political pitch at mid-court from the Native American tribal chief candidate felt REALLY awkward, such as when he said "I love everyone, from TU and RU".  Do his opponents in the election get equal time at upcoming games?
  • The show dogs were cute, but honestly I expected more. Seen so many of these dog acts over the years I’ve become a little jaded.  They were OK, just nothing memorable - wondering how much they cost?
  • The full-court CGI air hockey contest was just about the coolest media timeout promotion I've seen in YEARS.  You had to see it to appreciate it; I could watch that EVERY timeout!
  • The t-shirt "Gatling gun" was impressive, but apparently designed for much larger arenas - maybe a little less Co2 is in order?  Much of its payload of t-shirts and mini-basketballs ended up hitting the banners lining the back wall of the arena and falling straight down onto the heads of the fans in the back rows.  "Oh, the humanity!" cried Les Nessman (Google it...).
  • The PA guy was very professional and did absolutely nothing to draw attention to himself.  WHAT A CONCEPT!
  • I'm sorry to say I did not notice the band.  Was there a band?  That can't be a good sign if it made no impression, can it?  Oh, wait I DO remember the band - during the post game alma mater...
  • The cheerleaders were fine, I guess.  They looked like all cheerleaders:  they do their thing, they look cute doing it, but no one takes much notice.  Kinda like flight attendants doing their safety presentation before take-off.

All in all, very impressed - ORU could learn a thing of two from some of the new innovations. 

But sadly, all the game ops in the world won't move the attendance needle if the team disappoints and there's no students there.  Gotta win the hearts and minds of those students to build genuine excitement in the arena!  And, you know how you do that?  BRIBE THEM WITH FOOD AND GIFTS!! lol

I agree with most everything OT said.

Parking was HORRIBLE.  I saw people lined up for a shuttle after the game, but didn't think it was for us.  We parked in free parking about a half mile away.  I would've paid to park in one of their closer lots, but they were only for passes, not pay.

TU Game Ops guys was way too loud and over the top.  ORU's is better.  

TU PA announcer is much better.  Like OT said - I didn't notice him and that's a great thing.

The 3d was cool!  I couldn't get used to the scoreboard(s) and where to find the info.  I'm sure if I attended every game, it would be ok.

It's too bad the ORU seats were way up in the top, above many empty rows in front of us.  Oh well, we had fun.

• Like 2

I thought the light show when they were introducing the TU players was very, very cool!!  I loved it! During the intros the video being shown on the screen was also shown on the court below, with awesome effect!! Also that minigun cannon blaster was awesome. Looked like it would work well at the Rose Bowl, hitting the very  back row of seats! No matter, it was really fun to watch, and I have never seen anything like it!  BTW Mrs Smith, I was sitting with my boys and some of their friends with the students on the floor level at the east end of the court, which I thought were pretty good seats, all things considered. And no, I didn't chant "TU Sucks!!!" when I had the opportunity!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

And no, I didn't chant "TU Sucks!!!" when I had the opportunity!!

Philosophical question:  is chanting “TU Sucks” inappropriate when it’s patently true?

What should be chanted instead?

• ”TU Could Really Stand To Be Much Better”
  • ”You Are Not The Worst Team We’ve Played”
  • ”TU Is All Sorts Of Things And Most of Them Are Really Bad”
  • “Your Team Falls Short Of Expectations”
  • ”We…We Believe…We Believe That You’re Not Good”
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Philosophical question:  is chanting “TU Sucks” inappropriate when it’s patently true?

Hmmmm . . . all of those are REALLY good - it's hard to choose . . .

38 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I must admit, I especially like the last one. 

But, philosophically, I’ve always thought it curious that the fans of one team think that the best way to encourage and support their team is to denigrate the opponent with “XX sucks” and “over-rated”, etc.  By these student section chants, it’s a back-handed way of saying that your team isn’t really that good, but just played well enough to beat a sucky or over-rated team.  Of course, most 18-22 year olds don’t really think these things through until 40+ years later, and then post them on a fan message board during a philosophical discussion. 😉

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I must admit, I especially like the last one. 

But, philosophically, I’ve always thought it curious that the fans of one team think that the best way to encourage and support their team is to denigrate the opponent with “XX sucks” and “over-rated”, etc.  By these student section chants, it’s a back-handed way of saying that your team isn’t really that good, but just played well enough to beat a sucky or over-rated team.  Of course, most 18-22 year olds don’t really think these things through until 40+ years later, and then post them on a fan message board during a philosophical discussion. 😉

Couldn't have been said better, Blue!!

Will Tulsa be the biggest win of the season?  Whether TU is up or down, a win is a big confidence boost for the Eagles.  It was the highlight of last year but this year hopefully not.  Beating SDSU at home in a few weeks would be a good start to topping the Hurricane win!

13 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Will Tulsa be the biggest win of the season?  Whether TU is up or down, a win is a big confidence boost for the Eagles.  It was the highlight of last year but this year hopefully not.  Beating SDSU at home in a few weeks would be a good start to topping the Hurricane win!

Beating Tulsa (especially on the road) is always a big win.  A win over Liberty on Monday would definitely eclipse it. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

There’s nothing wrong with a chant that says “TU Sucks”? Why? 

1. They do (most important point)
  2. Suck is a very bland word; imo it doesn’t do anything bad to the ORU reputation. In fact it stands to reason that it makes ORU students more accessible, instead of seeming like some odd religious zealot that refuses to say nasty words like “suck”. 

🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

There’s nothing wrong with a chant that says “TU Sucks”? Why? 

1. They do (most important point)
  2. Suck is a very bland word; imo it doesn’t do anything bad to the ORU reputation. In fact it stands to reason that it makes ORU students more accessible, instead of seeming like some odd religious zealot that refuses to say nasty words like “suck”. 

🤷‍♂️

Bingo! I recall in the book of 1 Corinthians, where Paul chanted "You Suck" to the Church at Corinth. 🤣

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dave said:

Can't 

Can't disagree more. There is no way that chanting insulting phrases, whether you consider them profane or not (which I do) is representative of a Christian institution or follower of Christ. If this is acceptable behavior, we have lost our way and a course correction is needed. We can't settle to be like everyone else. We need to do better. I would hope Coach Mills and President Wilson will address the student body and make it clear they love the enthusiasm and support of the students section and challenge and hold them to a higher standard. BTW, becoming like the world does not brighten our light to the world or make us more accessible. It only confuses people and clouds the difference between a believer and nonbeliever. Don't get me wrong. I love fans that know how to disrupt and get under the skin of an opposing team. That is one of the advantages of home court and an enthusiastic fan base. I was even part of "The Wild Bunch" that attended every game of the 1978 baseball season that saw the Titans go to the College World Series. I know I wasn't TU the other night. Just based on what I am hearing, my heart is sad, and I sincerely hope this kind of behavior is not tolerated or encouraged.

100% agree with everything you said!