Summit League Nonconference

Keenan Henderson

I think Reed seems like a very polished offensive player. In my opinion I would rather focus on toughness and defense instead of post guys who want to take 15ft+ jumpers.

ORU has a bunch of guys that can score the ball. Getting stops and rebounds on the block... a different story.

• Like 2

Denver hits a three-pointer with 0.8 seconds left to stun Idaho State 70-69.  Nice W on the road for the Pioneers.  

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Denver hits a three-pointer with 0.8 seconds left to stun Idaho State 70-69.  Nice W on the road for the Pioneers.  

SDSU falls at home to S.F. Austin by 9. How do they get home games like that and we can't?.....did the Lumberjacks get paid to go all the way to Brookings and beat the Jackrabbits? 🏀

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

SDSU falls at home to S.F. Austin by 9. How do they get home games like that and we can't?.....did the Lumberjacks get paid to go all the way to Brookings and beat the Jackrabbits? 🏀

That is a real shocker because last year we researched that SDSU had won like 94 percent of their home games in the last 6-7 years.  I think they had one of the top 2 or 3 home records in all of college basketball during that span.

Kansas City leaping ahead of rebuild schedule with solid upset of just-outside-the-AP-Top-25 Toledo this morning in the Gulf Coast Showcase, 83-71.

Still puzzled why Paul Mills elects not to play in these "exempt" holiday tournaments; great opportunity for neutral court wins, plus the experience of postseason tournament-type grind.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some guys are just so stubborn.....Coach Mills seems like one of those guys.............

:hc_mills:Image result for frank costanza photos:hc_mills:

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Still puzzled why Paul Mills elects not to play in these "exempt" holiday tournaments; great opportunity for neutral court wins, plus the experience of postseason tournament-type grind.

The games against Houston and Texas Southern (the so-called "Cougar Classic") were as a part of an "exempt multi-team event", although they certainly were not played on a neutral court.  I would definitely like to see ORU participate in a neutral court holiday event, but perhaps the coaching staff thought the exposure to the Houston recruiting area was too good to give up for this year.

• Upvote 2

Truth be told, I‘m kinda jealous of some of the locales.

I know ORU is never going to play in the Maui Invitational or The Battle For Atlantis, but seeing those shots of the beach and ocean when Tulsa was playing in the Myrtle Beach Shootout sure was enticing  

Now, watch ORU sign up for the Alaska Shootout instead.

Animated GIF

• Haha 1

Kansas City beats the same Indiana state team today that blew out NDSU. Roos might be more dangerous then anticipated.

18 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Kansas City beats the same Indiana state tonight team that blew out NDSU. Roos might be more dangerous then anticipated.

Yeah, veteran head coach Marvin Menzies has KC playing some solid basketball.

I've now had a chance to watch every team in the league play except St. Thomas, and one thing I can assure you:  no one is going undefeated in regular season play this year.  The so-called bottom half of the conference is on the rise, while SDSU and NDSU are down a notch from previous years.

Gonna be a dogfight in the regular season; and of course who knows what might happen in Sioux Falls.

• Like 1

South Dakota gets slammed by Sam Houston State on a neutral court.  They lost by over 30 points and yes SHSU did beat OU on a lost second shot.  Still a rough loss.  The Summit League should be interesting this year.  St. Thomas may surprise some teams this year, so ORU better be ready for the Tommies.  They have some good freshmen that are just getting better as the season goes on.

SDSU smoked at Kent State tonight. The Jacks drop to 3-5....😲

• Like 1

I know this isn’t a Summit League non-conference game, but two teams ORU has played this year, Saint Mary’s and Houston, play tonight at 8:30 on ESPN2. Should be interesting to see how that goes. 

• Upvote 1

South Dakota State travelled about 1,200 miles to Kent, Ohio to play Kent State last night, then I assume hopped a plane out of the Akron-Canton Regional Airport to travel approximately 800 miles to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to be ready to play the University of Alabama tonight.  After this game they will be going approximately 2,200 miles to Missoula, Montana to play the Griz of the University of Montana on Tuesday, then back to Brookings.  Earlier this year they played at Akron and then flew the next day to Boise to play Boise State the following day.  Brookings to Akron about 1,200 miles.  Akron to Boise a little over 2,200 miles.  Again, impressive stamina.

One final thing, as I stated elsewhere Kent State played Houston after we played Houston.  We were smacked down, ran off the floor and out of the gym.  Basically a total embarrassment.  Kent State took them to the wire and Houston was able to salvage a 49-44 win in the last minute of the game.  And before you argue that Houston was dealing with flu issues, they started/played the same line up against us that they used against Kent State.  

• Upvote 1

-South Dakota beats BYU tonight by 1 point. They were up by 15 or so in the early 2nd half. Good win for the league.

- SDSU within 5 points of #11 Alabama with 7 mins to go.

- NDSU loses to Eastern Washington. Grant Nelson is out for a bit. Their board is calling for Richman's head, going to be an interesting year if they lose a lot of league games. They are 1-8, no D1 wins this year..... They always seem to be tough in league play so I'm guessing Richman will be around next year.