Summit League Nonconference

Keenan Henderson

LOL - I'm not sure having your defending league and tournament champion getting dunked on down 20 qualifies for that tired old cliche...

• Haha 2

Watched ten minutes of the NDSU/Indiana State game tonight, where the Bizon fell to the Sycamores 101-75.  The 0-4 Bizon have a lot of work to do this season if they want to contend in the Summit, as the score was actually much closer than it could have been since ISU emptied the bench with 7-1/2 minutes left.  It's been a long time (maybe ever?) since I've seen NDSU look this bad.

One side note: This was the first time that Indiana State hit the century mark against a D1 opponent since 1985 (when they upset a ranked Tulsa team at home).  That's nearly FORTY years!  This makes me even MORE appreciative of the basketball we've experienced at ORU.  For the record, in that same time-frame (since 1985), ORU has scored 100 or more points against a D1 opponent THIRTY-ONE times, including three times last season.  Pretty incredible...

Miss State  is up on the Yotes 38-15 at half. May be just a bad 1st half but not overly impressed with the Yotes. I know it is early in the season but it seems the Jackrabbits and Yotes had better teams last year which leaves it wide open for the Eagles if they continue to improve.

Not-That-Bold Prediction:  South Dakota and South Dakota State will both finish in the top three in the Summit League regular season standings, and SDSU's Zeke Mayo & USD's AJ Plitzuweit will battle each other for conference POY.

A little outside the box, but still:  In the "How It Started/How It's Going" department, former Mid-Con doormat Chicago State drubbed former Mid-Con darling Valparaiso Wednesday night, 87-74, after building a TWENTY-FIVE POINT halftime lead.

How the mighty (and haughty) do fall... #schadenfreude

• Upvote 1

Did anyone notice our good friends over at 11th and Harvard put a beat down on Sister Jean’s team Loyola Chicago? Not sure if Loyola had a bad game and perhaps not the same team as last year or if the mighty Hurricane are good this year. Any thoughts? 

If things stay the same right now with how ORU and TU are playing, the Golden Hurricane will win the Mayor’s Cup by 8-10 points.  TU is athletic and physical, and they play really hard. What a difference better coaching makes!

We are friends with a family whose youngest son is a promising big man.  He recently signed with the Richmond Spiders.  He was recruited by Tulsa and the father had very positive things to say about their head coach.  Dad really wanted his son to play in Tulsa mostly because of the proximity to Dallas.  I don't recall exactly how things went but Tulsa seemed to lose a little interest and the player felt the Spiders offense was an especially good fit for his game.  I did sigh when I heard that ORU never expressed any interest.  This kid could play the Kevin O'Bannor role very well in our offense but that's not my point.  My point is that, to Old Titan's point, things may be turning around north of us.

I did tell dad that his son did avoid playing for some of the most toxic fans in college basketball fwiw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

If things stay the same right now with how ORU and TU are playing, the Golden Hurricane will win the Mayor’s Cup by 8-10 points.  TU is athletic and physical, and they play really hard. What a difference better coaching makes!

Are you saying the new TU coach is better than Haith or better than Mills? 🤣

17 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

We are friends with a family whose youngest son is a promising big man.  He recently signed with the Richmond Spiders.  He was recruited by Tulsa and the father had very positive things to say about their head coach.  Dad really wanted his son to play in Tulsa mostly because of the proximity to Dallas.  I don't recall exactly how things went but Tulsa seemed to lose a little interest and the player felt the Spiders offense was an especially good fit for his game.  I did sigh when I heard that ORU never expressed any interest.  This kid could play the Kevin O'Bannor role very well in our offense but that's not my point.  My point is that, to Old Titan's point, things may be turning around north of us.

I did tell dad that his son did avoid playing for some of the most toxic fans in college basketball fwiw.

Reed signed with TU

Dang!  He flipped his commitment and Dad didn't tell me.  On Labor Day Matt had signed with Richmond and I read their press release.  According to rivals.com he changed his commitment on 11/2.  Thanks for the update Doc.  I'm sure his parents are thrilled.

We're in trouble friends.  This kid can play....from his Rivals page.  All of this is true.

“I can shoot the three at a high percentage past the college line,” he said of his strengths. “I’m a threat in pick-and-pop scenarios, and I have great footwork to go along with touch around the basket and high post.”

48 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

My apologies, friends.  I'm spreading all kinds of fake news this morning.  I've been texting with Reed's father.  ORU did recruit him and even offered him a scholarship.  Don't know how I got that wrong but it was a Labor Day party 🥳  I'm happy to know that because it would be a real shame if we hadn't made an attempt at this kid.

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

At first glance, this kid reminds me of Baylor Schiermann from SDSU.

FWIW, that is not a compliment. 🙄

You're just letting the headband draw you offsides OT.  Usually you are more nuanced than that 🤣

9 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Much like Baylor, it would appear that Reed loves him some Reed.

Plus, that hair... #smh

season 7 pr GIF

A kid you've never met....bad form

5 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

A kid you've never met....bad form

LOL - that quote doesn't sound a little Baylor-esque? 

Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he signs an NIL deal for hair gel before playing a minute, the gloves come off!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - that quote doesn't sound a little Baylor-esque? 

Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he signs an NIL deal for hair gel before playing a minute, the gloves come off!

I am admittedly biased since I've know his mother for 30 years, have known him his entire life and my oldest played with him for a few years in middle school so there's that.