Summit League Nonconference

Keenan Henderson

Summit went 4-6 tonight....highlights include  Denver smoked at UCLA and NDSU loses at home to Montana...but ORU crushed Central Arkansas and SDSU edges E. Washington....😎

Interesting that all Summit teams are playing at home for all games this week, in preparation for next week's League openers.  But, while ORU is ending the non-conference season on a crescendo with Liberty and Mo State, the rest of the conference has chosen to build some confidence for their teams and their fans with some body-bag games.

The complete list of Summit League opponents this week (for all teams except ORU):

North Central U.

Mount Marty College

Midland U

Green Bay (NET 352)

Coastal Carolina (NET 261)

Bellevue

Colorado Christian

Eureka College

At least the Conference should finish with a winning record this week!

49 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

At least the Conference should finish with a winning record this week!

…creating further excuses to name someone other than Max conference Player of the Week. 

bored tony stark GIF

Many of us expressed our dismay over the OOC that contained four non D1 games. I still believe that is too many for a respectable D1 school like ORU. But I must say I like the way the schedule has built momentum going into conference play. Whether it was planned that way or just the way it worked out, I believe it has played in ORU's favor and will benefit them as they begin competition against their Summit League opponents. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

…creating further excuses to name someone other than Max conference Player of the Week. 

bored tony stark GIF

This is a real travesty.  Max is the only player in the league to be in the top 10 for every statistical category which the league tracks stats for, except blocked shots, and has yet to be named Player of the Week.  Yet Skunberg from NDSU, who is averaging a blistering 13.4 points per game, which ranks 11th in the league, has been named player of the week twice. 

Here is the final sentence in the press release announcing his selection:  "He closed the week by leading the Bison with 19 points in a 99-54 rout of Waldorf. Skunberg’s 61 total points were the most in any three-game stretch of his career and he has now scored in double figures in a career-best five straight game."

WOW - I bet the NBA scouts were flocking to Fargo to watch this prodigy, score against Waldorf.  Note that Max's AVERAGE of 19.6 Pts/game would give him 58.8 points for three games. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dbl78 said:

This is a real travesty.  Max is the only player in the league to be in the top 10 for every statistical category which the league tracks stats for, except blocked shots, and has yet to be named Player of the Week.  Yet Skunberg from NDSU, who is averaging a blistering 13.4 points per game, which ranks 11th in the league, has been named player of the week twice. 

Here is the final sentence in the press release announcing his selection:  "He closed the week by leading the Bison with 19 points in a 99-54 rout of Waldorf. Skunberg’s 61 total points were the most in any three-game stretch of his career and he has now scored in double figures in a career-best five straight game."

WOW - I bet the NBA scouts were flocking to Fargo to watch this prodigy, score against Waldorf.  Note that Max's AVERAGE of 19.6 Pts/game would give him 58.8 points for three games. 

In fairness, this is Skunberg's first POW for this season; here are the honorees so far:

November 14:  A.J. Plitzuweit, South Dakota
November 21:  Riley Miller, St. Thomas
November 28:  Rayquawndis Mitchell, Kansas City
December 5:  Trenton Massner, Western Illinois
December 12:  Boden Skunberg, North Dakota State

It is, however, surprising that arguably the two highest-profile schools failed to have their star players (Zeke Mayo at SDSU; Max Abmas at ORU) recognized after each turned in stellar 31-point performances in big wins last week.

The league office may be trying to hand out participation ribbons to as many lower-division schools as they can before the conference season starts and the cream at the top can't be ignored.  Who knows...

https://thesummitleague.org/news/2022/12/12/awards-ndsus-skunberg-claims-ticketsmarter-summitmbb-weekly-award.aspx

Took a look at NDSU's win over Portland. That is a good win for them considering that Portland had very respectable showings against North Carolina, Michigan State and Villanova, albeit in losses.  Maybe they will be a little tougher than the "experts" first thought. Hmmm.

27 minutes ago, dave said:

Took a look at NDSU's win over Portland. That is a good win for them considering that Portland had very respectable showings against North Carolina, Michigan State and Villanova, albeit in losses.  Maybe they will be a little tougher than the "experts" first thought. Hmmm.

Their preseason Summit first-teamer Grant Nelson has been injured; he will be a difference-maker come league play.

Despite their rocky starts, I still consider the Dakota schools (sans UND) to be top-tier finishers in the regular season and dangerous outs in Sioux Falls. 

UMKC could be dangerous, but I don't think Denver and St. Thomas are anything near what their non-conference W/L records might indicate.

Fraud Hoax GIF

NDSU played Waldorf???...now that's a really nice Salad but not sure about basketball.......then again....what can I say because we played Ozark Christian.....😬:NDSU:😬

10 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

NDSU played Waldorf???...now that's a really nice Salad but not sure about basketball.......then again....what can I say because we played Ozark Christian.....😬:NDSU:😬

Let he who is without sin…

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Validation for the "heavy on the non-D1's" approach?

All things considered when it comes to the various power rakings and national perception, ORU's unconventional scheduling philosophy appears to have borne fruit; while the traditional "play anyone/anywhere/any time" approach has backfired this year for the Dakota schools.

Don't be surprised to see the Dakota schools staying home to host the likes of St. Olaf's, Waldorf and other assorted salads in the future.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2