ORU at St. Mary's Predictions

theeagleman5

Kansas City did this most recently with Arkel Lamar in the spring of 2021.  He was a graduate transfer from UMBC (the old team that upset top ranked Virginia in the tournament).  Not sure about all the rules but think a team can do it with a grad transfer but not with say a non grad player.

In the past ORU has also brought in freshmen, such as K.O., at semester.  Yes he was red shirted.  

5 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

The old saying goes: one game does not make a season.  Hopefully, that was a wake up call for the Eagles.  If not, then the Houston game next week will be.  In the long run I think this opening night will help ORU.  St. Mary's is a tough minded defensive team that the Eagles usually struggle against.  

On a side note: Connor is ranked second in the nation in blocks.  

Houston will definitely be a wake up call for sure. That will be the toughest defensive team they play all year. Much more athletic than St. Mary's team.  

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman is a man of honor....I am enjoying an Iced Tea and will place no further wagers til 2023....I will have to live off my winnings from last night with ORU +9.5.....personally I do not think Vanover will be starting by the time we start the Summit schedule...but let's see how it plays out....did not count on the Lufile drop out and the Herron injury but won't whine about it....😲

• Like 1

Enjoyed your synopsis of the game, Blue. I found your comments about the crowd interesting - I thought the same thing about their broadcast announcers. I just listened to the first half, but I thought they were the most even-keeled home announcers I've ever listened to - at least in that half!  They even made an effort to point out the strengths of our players - whether or not they were on display last night! I didn't get the sense of much homerism from them at all.

Glad you were able to represent us at the game!

Max led ORU in points, rebounds, and assists and he had an off night!  I thought he showed some maturity versus St. Mary's, in that the Gaels had him cornered on the offense end but he went out and rebounded and got his teammates involved.  In the past we have seen Max just continue to fire up 20 plus shots, even when he is struggling.  

• Like 2

I’m late posting here, and someone may have already posted this, but I thought this game could have easily turned out like the Colorado State game last year. Instead, we came out and fought back into the game. Also, while I can see that the defense still has issues, I think that it is better than last year. They still didn’t play 40 minutes of consistent defense, but there were stretches in the game where Saint Mary’s had some real trouble scoring the ball. If we can keep improving on defense, it will really help the offense get more 2-point opportunities as we’ll be able to get out in transition more. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max led ORU in points, rebounds, and assists and he had an off night!  I thought he showed some maturity versus St. Mary's, in that the Gaels had him cornered on the offense end but he went out and rebounded and got his teammates involved.  In the past we have seen Max just continue to fire up 20 plus shots, even when he is struggling.  

I like it when Max fires up 20 plus shots, preferably all from behind the arc.

Max is an ELITE 3-point shooter.  So much so that every team ORU plays has this written at the top of their white board during pregame in the locker room:

1.  PICK-UP #3 (ABMAS) AT HALF COURT.

And underneath that is written:

2.  MAKE #3 (ABMAS) DRIVE THE BALL.

Because when he tries to finish at the rim, Max is merely average-to-good for a 5'10", whatever-pound guard.

Bottom Line:  you wanna know what every coach on ORU's schedule thinks to himself each time Max eschews a three-pointer for a drive down the lane?

"Oh, thank God!"

• Like 1

St. Mary blows out Vermont by 26.  Vermont is a high mid major, as they have won six straight America East Conference Championships.  The Gaels are a tough team and they play Houston later in the season.  That should be an interesting game.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:17 PM, Old Titan said:

I like it when Max fires up 20 plus shots, preferably all from behind the arc.

Max is an ELITE 3-point shooter.  So much so that every team ORU plays has this written at the top of their white board during pregame in the locker room:

1.  PICK-UP #3 (ABMAS) AT HALF COURT.

And underneath that is written:

2.  MAKE #3 (ABMAS) DRIVE THE BALL.

Because when he tries to finish at the rim, Max is merely average-to-good for a 5'10", whatever-pound guard.

Bottom Line:  you wanna know what every coach on ORU's schedule thinks to himself each time Max eschews a three-pointer for a drive down the lane?

"Oh, thank God!"

This is why I’d like to see more action with max at the 2 and McBride getting PG duties. Mcbride is also a good 3 pt shooter, but also a good lane penetrator. If max can roam free, I think we can run more off the ball plays to get him free and open looks. He doesn’t need much time for a good look, but he still needs a little time. This is something I do not need to see against a john brown or the likes, but trying it occasionally would be nice to see if it works…

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

St. Mary blows out Vermont by 26.  Vermont is a high mid major, as they have won six straight America East Conference Championships.  The Gaels are a tough team and they play Houston later in the season.  That should be an interesting game.

Some more on that game.  Vs ORU, Mahaney played 26 minutes and scored 25 points.  Vs Vermont, he played 21 minutes, and scored 3 points.  Everyone has their career high game against us it seems🫠

Also, KenPom ranks Vermont at 112, *barely* above ORU’s 119 position.  Lastly, in the same gym, Vermont loses by 26, ORU by 8

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ORob2 said:

Lastly, in the same gym, Vermont loses by 26, ORU by 8

Give me five more games of comparative scores in college basketball, and I can make a case for Bellarmine making the Final Four. 😉

Calculate Figure It Out GIF by Originals

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1