ORU at St. Mary's Predictions

theeagleman5

Connor did block six shots but unless he blocks the shot the big will score.  Their big Saxton averaged 3 points last year and had 16 points tonight.  Patrick the other transfer played alright but did not see the hype about him being a defensive stopper.  DJ Weaver had so much promise as a freshman but just has struggled over the years.  ORU only forced 5 turnovers but did lead 13-0 in fast break points.  By the way, Max led the Eagles with 7 rebounds tonight!  He may be the best rebounder on the team!

It seemed like St. Mary's was bigger and stronger at every position on the floor tonight.  Their team was built like a tank.

from an outsider. 

Max needs more than 11 shots in a game like this.

you missed your big man that left, but all in all good effort vs a good team like st marys

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

ORU's offense consists of: a lot of mostly contested threes, Carlos driving versus a 6'8 guy and trying to post him up, or Max trying to drive in and shoot over some 6'10 guy.  I would like to see Coach come up with some different looks.  That has basically been the offense since K.O. left.  Where is some ball movement/passing?

The defense did double the post some tonight and it gave the Gaels a few problems.  Hope we see more of that with Lufile and Herron out or at least give Clover 5-10 minutes on the floor.

• Like 2

It will be nice when ORU can schedule a home opener against a quality team like St Mary’s. Had the roles been reversed and St Mary’s  had to travel and go through the hardships we faced I believe we would have won last night. Hopefully that day is coming!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

It will be nice when ORU can schedule a home opener against a quality team like St Mary’s. Had the roles been reversed and St Mary’s  had to travel and go through the hardships we faced I believe we would have won last night. Hopefully that day is coming!

Great point 88, and the conference will also need to improve for ORU to get there. Of the ten Summit League teams, two hosted the opener with eight on road.  Of the ten West Coast Conference teams, nine hosted the opener with one on the road. The advantage of being a perennial multi-bid league and having a juggernaut like Gonzaga in the conference is HUGE from a financial perspective.  

• Upvote 2

TheEagleman is glad to see that ORU battled in the 2nd half and actually got within 5 points midway thru....I actually fell asleep during halftime and didn't get to watch to better half of basketball....concerned that Max only had 14 and Vanover looks totally overmatched in the post....yeah, we are gonna miss Lufile.....at least this game not a total embarrassment like last year at CSU.... the good news is that John Brown will be waiting for us at Mabee on Friday Night so we should get even at 1-1.....:tb-white:

I turned the game off after 10 minutes.  Way too painful to watch.  We should stick to teams like John Brown.  Hopefully Max will shoot more than 11 times.  Defense would always be nice to witness.  

52 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is glad to see that ORU battled in the 2nd half and actually got within 5 points midway thru....I actually fell asleep during halftime and didn't get to watch to better half of basketball....concerned that Max only had 14 and Vanover looks totally overmatched in the post....yeah, we are gonna miss Lufile.....at least this game not a total embarrassment like last year at CSU.... the good news is that John Brown will be waiting for us at Mabee on Friday Night so we should get even at 1-1.....:tb-white:

You got that right! Bring on John Brown, Okie Baptist, Rogers St., and Bacone! 

The old saying goes: one game does not make a season.  Hopefully, that was a wake up call for the Eagles.  If not, then the Houston game next week will be.  In the long run I think this opening night will help ORU.  St. Mary's is a tough minded defensive team that the Eagles usually struggle against.  

On a side note: Connor is ranked second in the nation in blocks.  

TheEagleman saw trouble from the opening minute when ORU's first shot was a long 3 point attempt by Vanover.....sorry but that just doesn't work for me.....and if he's gonna take it....he better make it.....he did not......🙄

• Haha 1

I was expecting the defense to be poor but the offense was what was surprising to me.

• No movement. 4 guys just watching the ball
  • Bad spacing
  • Not looking for paint touches
  • One shot and no pass possessions
  • Not being able to make the correct read on PNR defenses

St. Mary's is a very good defensive team but not answering the bell like that ORU will struggle to beat ANY D1 team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

TheEagleman concurs with Doc C. and his comments above...and what does it say that even our opponents (LakesBison) wonder why Max only took 11 shots???....very very strange.....what did Coach Mills have to say postgame?? :hc_mills:

23 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman concurs with Doc C. and his comments above...and what does it say that even our opponents (LakesBison) wonder why Max only took 11 shots???....very very strange.....what did Coach Mills have to say postgame?? :hc_mills:

On the post game show Coach basically said: we fouled too much on defense, could not handle St. Mary's toughness, and lost the hustle plays.  He said the Gaels punched us in the mouth early and it took a half to respond to that.  He did say Connor  played pretty good but just needed some help in the post. Never mentioned anything about Max.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

On the post game show Coach basically said: we fouled too much on defense, could not handle St. Mary's toughness, and lost the hustle plays.  He said the Gaels punched us in the mouth early and it took a half to respond to that.  He did say Connor  played pretty good but just needed some help in the post. Never mentioned anything about Max.

I find a couple of those responses puzzling.

There was no "early punch in the mouth"; ORU was right there in the game midway through the first half until inexplicable substitutions completely took the wind out of the sails for the rest of the half.  That's tantamount to punching yourself in the mouth.

And did anyone else think that ORU "fouled to much"?  Wasn't near as bothered by the Gaels 28 trips to the line (with many of them late in catch-up mode) as I was seeing only 8 offensive rebounds, 12 turnovers, and an offensive game plan that made vanilla appear exotic by comparison.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I was expecting the defense to be poor but the offense was what was surprising to me.

• No movement. 4 guys just watching the ball
  • Bad spacing
  • Not looking for paint touches
  • One shot and no pass possessions
  • Not being able to make the correct read on PNR defenses

St. Mary's is a very good defensive team but not answering the bell like that ORU will struggle to beat ANY D1 team.

Offense was definitely not the problem. 70 points is plenty to beat an at-large team on the road. 12 made 3ptrs in a game would once again be #1 in the country. Making them at 40% would be top 10 in the country. The issue in my opinion was the disparity at the FT line. St Mary’s getting 20 pts at the line versus our 12 pts was the difference. I believe ORU missed 2 front ends of 1-and-1s which is always going to hurt you in a close road game. 

All in all my takeaway seems to be much different than a lot of posters. We lost a 3-possession game on the road to an at-large team without having any ORU player play exceptionally well. St Mary’s has won 19 consecutive home games. 

• Upvote 5

It was puzzling that Coach said that Connor needed more help in the post last night.  Who would that be?  The front line is so thin right now that he starts Kareem at the power forward position.  Never saw a team that has a 6'5 power forward and then a 7'5 center.  Coach Mills has an open spot on the team, so why not bring in a 6'8 grad transfer at semester?  Never too late but their has to be somebody out there who could help the Eagles.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Offense was definitely not the problem. 70 points is plenty to beat an at-large team on the road. 12 made 3ptrs in a game would once again be #1 in the country. Making them at 40% would be top 10 in the country. The issue in my opinion was the disparity at the FT line. St Mary’s getting 20 pts at the line versus our 12 pts was the difference. I believe ORU missed 2 front ends of 1-and-1s which is always going to hurt you in a close road game. 

All in all my takeaway seems to be much different than a lot of posters. We lost a 3-possession game on the road to an at-large team without having any ORU player play exceptionally well. St Mary’s has won 19 consecutive home games. 

This is all good stuff, but its still maddening to see self-inflicted wounds figuring so prominently in any loss.

8 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach Mills has an open spot on the team, so why not bring in a 6'8 grad transfer at semester?  Never too late but their has to be somebody out there who could help the Eagles.

I think you've mentioned this sort of mid-season "free agent acquisition" before; I've never seen it at the college level.