ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

ORU up to a gaudy No. 4 in this solid mid-major poll that includes West Coast Conference schools (not holding my breath to see if ORU evntually leap-frogs Gonzaga or Saint Mary's - lol)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here's what ESPN+ says today about ORU in a Bubble Watch article. I think it's written by John Gasaway:

image.thumb.png.3b0dae511f8af08f200bde8b7661863f.png1927226606_Screenshot2023-02-07at1_55_36PM.thumb.png.158cf1328adcac5afc84e9004db910ae.png

• Like 1

There's a reason why it says, "Expect A Miracle" on the Mabee Center court ...

Work hard, pray, stay humble, and trust God!

That happened back in Morrison's senior year when ORU was 27-6 and 17-1 in conference play.  They also had a couple of solid non-conference victories over Xavier and Texas Tech but ended up as 4 seed in the NIT, which is about 15 teams away from being selected in the Big Dance.  The problem this year is that they do not have a real impressive non-conference win.  Liberty was a good win but it will not move the committee to select ORU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OKC Eagle said:

Stop all this nonsense. We are winning the Summit tournament. And I will be there to see it. 

You might be the only one😄😄

3 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

Stop all this nonsense. We are winning the Summit tournament. And I will be there to see it. 

hmm… road trip??? I hear Sioux Falls is lovely this time of year. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

It's a great trip if the weather cooperates.  Sioux Falls is an interesting place with a bit of a college town vibe.  There will be a decent ORU contingent:  student bus or two, the band and cheerleaders are a big hit up there, players families, plus fans that can literally afford the time.

WIsh I could go, but I'm holding out for wherever ORU is playing following the Summit League Tournament!

10 hours ago, MabeeCenterRoofCamper said:

hmm… road trip??? I hear Sioux Falls is lovely this time of year. 

Welcome to the board MC Roof Camper!  Sounds like there is a story in your handle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

Welcome to the board MC Roof Camper!  Sounds like there is a story in your handle.

Maybe even a shared story! 😆

I was surprised that ORU's Net ranking didn't appear to be significantly impacted by New Mexico and Utah State both losing Mountain West home games this week.  At this point, Utah State would likely be out of the NCAA tourney and New Mexico has some work to do to assure themselves of a bid.  Hard to believe that the Mountain West will get four bids, which is what UNM would need.

Also interesting, ORU is one of only three Net Top 50 teams that has not recorded a Quad 1 win so far this season.  The other two??? Recent ORU opponents Utah State and Liberty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I was surprised that ORU's Net ranking didn't appear to be significantly impacted by New Mexico and Utah State both losing Mountain West home games this week.  At this point, Utah State would likely be out of the NCAA tourney and New Mexico has some work to do to assure themselves of a bid.  Hard to believe that the Mountain West will get four bids, which is what UNM would need.

Also interesting, ORU is one of only three Net Top 50 teams that has not recorded a Quad 1 win so far this season.  The other two??? Recent ORU opponents Utah State and Liberty.

I think it's because Houston, Saint Mary's and Liberty are all playing so well right now.