ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

That photo of the ORU team above isn't from 1974....looks like perhaps the 70-71 team or maybe 71-72.....:circle-logoi:

Good catch - that picture was taken in the old gymnasium and features pre-1974 stars Sam McCamey and Ingram "Slim" Montgomery, and is missing Anthony Roberts, Sam McCants and Al Boswell.

34 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

That photo of the ORU team above isn't from 1974....looks like perhaps the 70-71 team or maybe 71-72.....:circle-logoi:

Eagleman, you are the Titan/Eagles historian extraordinaire! I dug deep into my nearly complete collection of ORU MBB media guides and identified this pic to be of the 70/71 team. This same photo was the centerfold of that year’s media guide . . .

The front row is bookended by Richard Fuqua on the left and Haywood Hill on the right.

AB7D5312-E972-43DB-97CB-8C136457895D.jpeg

B57FCDC2-AC81-4D76-AC5E-218BA1C8E82E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Eagleman, you are the Titan/Eagles historian extraordinaire! I dug deep into my nearly complete collection of ORU MBB media guides and identified this pic to be of the 70/71 team. This same photo was the centerfold of that year’s media guide . . .

AB7D5312-E972-43DB-97CB-8C136457895D.jpeg

B57FCDC2-AC81-4D76-AC5E-218BA1C8E82E.jpeg

I'm impressed. Did the mabee center ever look like that? Did they replace the pedestrian bridge, with the now removed, "Mt. Oral" speed bump? 

4 minutes ago, SonofaLegend said:

I'm impressed. Did the mabee center ever look like that? Did they replace the pedestrian bridge, with the now removed, "Mt. Oral" speed bump? 

I thought the "pedestrian bridge" looked like a monorail station at Disney World. A bridge to where? The bus stop on 81st? City of Faith? I'm sure it was just an artist's rendering. Never saw the light of day, so far as I am aware. 

There was never a pedestrian bridge....looks nice though...lol.....ah, Slim Montgomery was a senior when TheEagleman got to ORU in 1972...such a nice dude....and Haywood Hill had used up his eligibilty but was working on his degree and still helping Coach Trickey with the basketball program.....the photo is 1970-71 which is 2 yrs before my time at ORU...but that was a really good team...I also knew Sam McCamey as he was a PE teacher and Jesse Traylor was still on the team in 72-73 when I arrived along with Greg Davis and Larry Baker.....Baker was a really good player.....true story....Baker suffered what appeared to be a serious knee injury in an early season 1972 game and was helped into the locker room....Oral went in at halftime and prayed over Larry and laid hands on him.....Larry got up and came out and played in the 2nd half....i think he did miss a few games after that but did finish the season.........I think ORU was still D-2 in 1970-71 and didn't enter D-1 until 1971-72 when we went to the NIT and upset mighty Memphis State in round 1 at MSG.....:tb-blue:

• Like 1

ORU included among these five Cinderellas.

Editor's note:  is it possible to have FIVE Cinderellas at one time?  I'm reminded of the classic line from the Dire Straits song "Industrial Disease" - ...Two men claim they're Jesus...one of 'em must be wrong...

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

Pretty cool website with statistical breakdown of ORU's resume...

Something is wrong with this ranking. They have us ahead of Liberty. 😁

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I'm reminded of the classic line from the Dire Straits song "Industrial Disease" - ...Two men claim they're Jesus...one of 'em must be wrong...

Great line from an underappreciated song.

And in case anyone else is wondering why the "quadrants" don't seem to make any sense (#43 Liberty is "Quadrant 2" and SDSU is Q4 at #174 out of 353 D1 teams), here's how the NET defines them:

One of the parameters used in determining NET is the Quadrant system. Each game on a teams schedule is placed into a Quadrant which is based on game location and opponent rankings. The Quadrant system breaks down like:
Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75.
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135.
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240.
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353.

So a home win against a team in the top half of D1 can still be a Q4 win. And beating #174 SDSU is in the same quadrant as #304 USD. Neither of those makes much sense to me definitionally. 

11 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

And in case anyone else is wondering why the "quadrants" don't seem to make any sense (#43 Liberty is "Quadrant 2" and SDSU is Q4 at #174 our of 353 D1 teams), here's how the NET defines them:

One of the parameters used in determining NET is the Quadrant system. Each game on a teams schedule is placed into a Quadrant which is based on game location and opponent rankings. The Quadrant system breaks down like:
Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75.
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135.
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240.
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353.

So a home win against a team in the top half of D1 can still be a Q4 win. And beating #174 SDSU is in the same quadrant as #304 USD. Neither of those makes much sense to me definitionally. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Pretty cool website with statistical breakdown of ORU's resume...

The graphic above also lays out the challenges ahead with the remaining schedule.  Seventeen of ORU's twenty wins have come against Q4 and non-D1 opponents.  The rest of the regular season includes 3 games with Q3 and 4 games with Q4 opponents, a much more difficult path.  While ORU can certainly win out, the Golden Eagle faithful shouldn't be too perplexed about a loss (or two or three), and suddenly become despondent that the team peaked "too early".  No, the schedule just got tougher.  And, realistically, I don't see the NCAA offering a bid to ORU if they win from here on out, and then lose in the Summit title game (ending with a 29-5 record).  Therefore, all that REALLY matters is getting ready for the three games on March 4, 6 and 7 in Sioux Falls.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

And, realistically, I don't see the NCAA offering a bid to ORU if they win from here on out, and then lose in the Summit title game (ending with a 29-5 record).

Really?

Why not?

Just now, Old Titan said:

Really?

Why not?

I was thinking the same thing but I didn't have the confidence to challenge TrueBlue82 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I was thinking the same thing but I didn't have the confidence to challenge TrueBlue82 😳

If ORU wins out with all those road games and wins their first one or two games of the conference tournament, their NET ranking could be in the low 30's.

Max Abmas as "Must See TV" will only add fuel to the grassroots flame for ORU to be included in the big dance, particularly if the Summit tournament loss is to SDSU and a case for getting "homered" can be made.

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Really?

Why not?

Just don't see it happening, as they would rather have an 8th team from the Big Ten (or some other Power Five) than a second from the Summit.  And, with winning out and a championship loss, our NET ranking would likely land somewhere in the mid-40's, and current bracketology has the First Three Out as A&M (43), Nevada (37) and OkSt (44).  It would be a coin flip, but low/mid-majors usually lose those coin flips. 

On 1/31/2023 at 2:46 PM, Old Titan said:

Really?

Why not?

Was just having this discussion with #2 son. He believes ORU is capable of an at large bid. 

I'm not so sure that we are. Please forgive my constant historical perspective, but I would refer back to Barry Hinson's 2006 Missouri State Bears. With an RPI of 21 they were snubbed by the selection committee, which had already selected four other Missouri Valley teams. A fifth MVC team was not in the cards, regardless of RPI rankng. That year's Bears had the highest RPI ever rejected by the selection committee.

I don't think that the Summit League has earned two places in the Field of 64 (or 68 depending on perspective), especially this year. 

I do agree with OT, however, that Max is a potential wild card. He has garnered enough national attention over three seasons, and especially this year, that the selection committee MAY see fit to put him back in the national spotlight due to that. But I kinda doubt it. I think we need to take care of business in Sioux Falls. 

• Upvote 1

I have to agree with TrueBlue and TMH here. Despite a high NET, it's very easy for the committee to say it's all built on those "worthless" Q4 wins. And as great a story as Max is, we're kidding ourselves if we think it's going to move the needle one bit in March Madness ratings. The committee puts in who they think are the best teams, and the metrics and their perceptions work heavily against mid-majors. And objectively, looking at ORU's performance in Q1 games, I hate to say but they may be right.

Win in Sioux Falls, but also win out for the best seed we've seen in a very long time.