Is Max Staying?

Old Titan

Ok, the second part of this tweet is a little scary for the "Max Please Stay" crowd:  the Phoenix Suns do not have a pick in the draft (as of right now) and are talking to just a couple of prospects - including Max - about signing free agent deals if they go undrafted.

Could have sworn this same article had mentioned something about Max signing a "2-way" G-League deal, but maybe I saw that somewhere else...

That would be a good opportunity for Max.  Phoenix has a load of young talent but their point guard CP3 is probably close to retirement.  Of course, they could use someone young like Max to help fill Chris Paul's void in a year or two.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:46 PM, Old Titan said:

Equal parts relieved and surprised I'm not somehow part of this one... 🤣

Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

Expect a miracle!

• Like 1

FWIW:  former ORU assistant Tom Hankins is the head coach of Indiana's G-League affiliate in Ft. Wayne, and previously served two years as a player development coach for the Pacers. 👀

Max is really taking his decision down to the wire again, he only has less then 48 hours to decide.

7 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max is really taking his decision down the wire again, he only has less then 48 hours to decide.

There's no deadline to decide or announce anything if he already made up his mind to stay in the draft.

Wondering what there is to say, if that's the case:  "BREAKING NEWS: I'm still going!!" ?  😉

I'm being told by a friend of the program that unless something stunning happens today with the Pacers workout, Max is withdrawing from the draft on Wednesday and returning for his senior year at ORU.

And that WOULD qualify for some sort of statement from him Tuesday night or Wednesday, I would imagine...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Selfishly speaking, that's fantastic news!  I'll have some pretty big expectations for Max and the boys this winter.  It should be a fun ride, fellas...Go Big Blue!

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I;m being told by a friend of the program that unless something stunning happens today with the Pacers workout, Max is withdrawing from the draft on Wednesday and returning for his senior year at ORU.

And that WOULD qualify for some sort of statement from him Tuesday night or Wednesday, I would imagine...

If this is true... really bummed for Max. But I am also relieved. I just don't think it makes sense for him to go play in the G League. 

• Like 1

If true, what's so classy about him - and great for the program - is that he's returning to ORU and not some other school, in stark contrast to Obanor's departure last spring.

baby hat GIF

• Upvote 1

Having Max back along with am already good team is like a cherry on top!

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I'm being told by a friend of the program that unless something stunning happens today with the Pacers workout, Max is withdrawing from the draft on Wednesday and returning for his senior year at ORU.

What would that stunning moment be?  That Indiana promises to draft Max with one of their second round picks?  They have one of the final picks in the second round, number 58.

Just now, Keenan Henderson said:

What would that stunning moment be?  That Indiana promises to draft Max with one of their second round picks?  They have one of the final picks in the second round, number 58.

I took it to mean if he heard promising news from ANYONE while in Indianapolis today; not necessarily the Pacers.

• Upvote 1

He looks a lot thicker now than last year at this time; particularly his quads (which would explain his eye-popping vertical measurements at the G-League combine).

Hope we get to see that elevation in navy & Vegas gold next year!

• Like 2

Maybe this next season we can see some off the ball screen sets to get Max loose, the kind he would probably be doing in the nba. Max is probably more of an instant offense off the bench role player in the nba than a starting pg, and based on his comments from that video that might be what he is hearing. Let’s have him work on some of those sets in the blue and gold next year to show those teams what max can do for them for the 2023 draft.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ting said:

Maybe this next season we can see some off the ball screen sets to get Max loose, the kind he would probably be doing in the nba. Max is probably more of an instant offense off the bench role player in the nba than a starting pg, and based on his comments from that video that might be what he is hearing. Let’s have him work on some of those sets in the blue and gold next year to show those teams what max can do for them for the 2023 draft.

This… and be a bit more aggressive on offense and don’t defer to teammates. Score 40 if you can