KO's future

TrueBlue82

3 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I'll pray that KO's decision works out beautifully for him. And that if he's leaving, our team will continue to do extremely well. And win the Summit again. 🙂

And God bless oruvoice!

Oh man! I think you've got it covered. 😉

As I said about the cat being out of the bag, when you open up the NIL like this, even though there are rules to be followed, it will be somewhat pointless for the NCAA to enforce those rules because there will be so much legal money floating around that it seems silly to nitpick on some under the table money.

I would guess the NCAA will wash their hands of even enforcing the rules that still exist.  It will be too much of a bother and would only hurt their relationships with the Power 5 schools that they are trying to mend.

Most frequently mentioned landing spots for KO, in order of rumored likelihood::

1. Arkansas
  2. Texas Tech
  3. Houston
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Texas A&M

Arkansas would be a curious choice. They already have a decent amount of athletic players, including Umude who transferred from South Dakota. And I’m not sure they have a guard that can run the pick & pop. Of course, I’m not sure many schools do. 

I'm changing my profile pic to KO until he tells us that he is no longer coming back.  If I only use his image and likeness, do I have to pay him anything if I don't use his name??  😂

These new “rules” are so screwed up; probably should go ahead and send him a check just in case.💰💰💰

Honestly, Texas Tech makes no sense to me. They are going to be a shell of their former selves without Beard or almost of any of last year’s team returning. I think these little insider tweets sound like wishful thinking more than anything.

24 minutes ago, Hoops Junkie said:

Honestly, Texas Tech makes no sense to me. They are going to be a shell of their former selves without Beard or almost of any of last year’s team returning. I think these little insider tweets sound like wishful thinking more than anything.

As someone I think mentioned in a previous post, Obanor has a former coach at Texas Tech now. Gives KO a chance to be a big NIL fish in a little pond (with rabid fans) in Lubbock, with all that Big XII exposure. Makes more sense to me than Arkansas, where there are a lot more mouths to feed when it comes to playing time. 

The dark horse in this sweepstakes is Texas A&M:  close to his home, huge fan base (albeit not a basketball school per se), SEC exposure, and a great coach in Buzz Williams. Punches a lot of buttons for what should be important to him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

As someone I think mentioned in a previous post, Obanor has a former coach at Texas Tech now. 

Talvin Hester --- the guy that recruited him to ORU

Thanks for clueing me in, now that makes more sense. I’m assuming that the team chemistry is great or else there would have never been a Sweet 16 run in the first place. We just gotta hope that everyone on the team is in his ear and trying to convince  him how special of a season 2022 can be with him returning. 🙏 

• Like 1

Creighton seems like a really weird inclusion to me.

Houston conspicuously missing, and I think a couple of those like Creighton and Arizona are just thrown in there for window dressing. 

Had to laugh at this particular tweet from a well-meaning Maryland fan, who mistakenly used Max for Kevin in this “Star Wars” meme:

I truly hope KO is successful wherever he goes, but I have a feeling that you will not be hearing his name mentioned very much next year if/when he bolts ORU for a Power 5 school. His skill set is perfect for the Mills system and he has his backcourt mate back in the fold. MA and KO would own the Tulsa basketball scene this year. NIL opportunities would abound locally and national recognition to showcase his game will only improve from last year. It looks like he is gone, but let's hope he realizes how good he has it at Mabee Center.

• Upvote 3

With 10 programs officially in play, which of them has the best shot at adding Obanor? Here’s how I would rank them in terms of fit, reported odds of landing him, and which one represents the best chance of getting back to the NCAA Tournament in 2022.

This article ranks Illinois as the best choice for KO and Tech as the second best

23 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Talvin Hester --- the guy that recruited him to ORU

....and you have Corey Williams at TTU, too.  I wonder who is responsible for his recruitment there.

I have to be honest that purposely dragging out a decision like Kevin is doing to apparently increase his exposure doesn’t sit well with me.  Just pick a team and focus on your game and skip all the grandstanding.  But this seems to be how a lot of recruits like to do it.  Coming out of high school is one thing but transferring for your senior year it just seems a bit much to me.

I think if he doesn’t choose ORU he will eventually regret his decision.  I don’t think he will walk into another situation that will feature him for 38 minutes a game and run a system designed for him to be the main scoring threat.  It is very unlikely that he will be able to maintain his scoring and rebounding averages from last year unless he stays at ORU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2