KO's future

TrueBlue82

19 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

*sigh*

Not a big fan of Transfer Portal Kevin.

I miss Grateful March Madness Kevin:

Sorry, I “cannot add any more reactions today.” 

I sure wish I’d saved just one for that post, OT. Please accept the following:  ❤️👍

Rob

12 hours ago, ORob1 said:

My guess is that he’ll invite Texas Tech and Arkansas to the fantasy suite….Voice, who you got in the season finale?

I think it comes down to Arkansas and Texas Tech. 

My money is on the Red Raiders. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

obaner.jpg

Check out the gear:  for what it's worth (and if that's a new picture, not an edited ORU pic), Arkansas is a Nike school, Texas Tech is an Under Armour school.

I forget some times just how much influence the shoe reps (and their $$$) have on steering players to certain schools. 

No different for highly-sought transfers, I suppose.

Woo-Pig Swoosh... 

I could be wayyyy off base here, but I get a sense that there may be a wee bit of jealousy playing a factor here for KO. The Sweet 16 run was all about Max, KO and Coach Mills, but for the most part, honestly, Max garnered the most attention and it continued after the season with all the NBA draft hype.

I think he just wants to move on to what he thinks will be bigger pastures where he can get more attention....time will tell if it works or not for him.... I wish him nothing but success, unless he's playing ORU....

And, he may want to consider getting a different graphics company, just sayin.

2 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

I could be wayyyy off base here, but I get a sense that there may be a wee bit of jealousy playing a factor here for KO. The Sweet 16 run was all about Max, KO and Coach Mills, but for the most part, honestly, Max garnered the most attention and it continued after the season with all the NBA draft hype.

I think he just wants to move on to what he thinks will be bigger pastures where he can get more attention....time will tell if it works or not for him.... I wish him nothing but success, unless he's playing ORU....

And, he may want to consider getting a different graphics company, just sayin.

Grass isn't always greener

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cletus said:

I see that Gottlieb tweet is unavailable. 

To clarify:  the Gottlieb tweet is still up (see below); it's Kevin's tweet with the his name misspelled that's now no longer popping up...

KO is most likely going to regret leaving ORU from a basketball perspective....now if he want to move to another academic institution to pursue a Masters Degree that ORU doesn't offer....TheEagleman totally understands....but his best opportunities for a big year on the court are probably at Mabee Center......:tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

As opposed to undergraduates, grad transfers should look at their one year at another school as basically a 6-month job as an independent contractor before finding full-time employment (in their sport or some other field).

You're there to do a job:  help that particular team/school win games, not make a ton of new friends and win homecoming king. 

These teams/schools are all like moving trains in the transfer portal; find the one that's headed in the direction you like best, jump on board, and try to find your seat without causing too much of a commotion.

Sure, there's the occasional exception to the rule (like Jalen Hurts' extra year with Oklahoma football), but for hundreds of grad transfers, this process is simply an additional chance to gain exposure for the next level, or just another season of playing the child's game before having to work for a living.

I frankly find ANY graduate transfer trying to cozy up to potential fan bases on social media a little forced, bordering on bizarre.

Sort of like an office temp sucking up to executive management at the company Christmas party.

Umar Stay In Your Lane GIF by asianhistorymonth

They say hindsight is 20/20. It'll be interesting to see how we all feel about this situation after the smoke has cleared at the end of the 2021-22 season. Will we "admit" that KO was smart to leave and to choose the school he chose? Or will we say, "We KNEW he should have stayed at ORU!"

Time will tell. For now, I'm just glad Max is staying and that we have so many good returning players and new recruits who will be a lot of fun to watch as we sit in those ultra-comfortable new blue seats at Mabee Center and talk and eat and cheer without having to wear a mask! Did someone say we're getting new uniforms? (Maybe I dreamed that.)

As ORob1 likes to say, just bring back the flame already!! (And don't paint over "Expect A Miracle.")

• Like 1

TheEagleman loves the Jalen Hurts reference......😎

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman loves the Jalen Hurts reference......😎

Me too, I’m a big fan.  Jalen is a class act.  I also understand his transferring to OU. As much as I hated to see it (as a Bama fan), it made sense because he was going to be sitting the bench behind Tua.  Not the case with Obanor.  He was about to be in a great situation as part of arguably the best duo in college basketball with a chance to build even more excitement and make a lot of noise next season. Granted, he’ll be able to do that at Arkansas—and perhaps Tech too. But I have to think it would have been very special to dance again with ORU and HIS GUYS, and solidify his legendary status at 81st & Lewis. As opposed to being a one year, hired-hand at a much larger program.  Think Hog fans are going to appreciate or even remember KO in 5-10 years?  Maybe he doesn’t care.

Maybe I’m still wounded…🤔

Bring back the flame and Go Big Blue!

Rob

This thread needs a conspiracy theory:

What if this is all about coming home from the NCAA bubble and finding his car had been stolen out of the Mabee Center parking lot while the team was in Indy?  He did stay away from the ORU's Sweet 16 salute/celebration just days later?🤫 🤫 🤫 🤫 

tenor.gif?itemid=10587157

47 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

This thread needs a conspiracy theory:

What if this is all about coming home from the NCAA bubble and finding his car had been stolen out of the Mabee Center parking lot while the team was in Indy?  He did stay away from the ORU's Sweet 16 salute/celebration just days later?🤫 🤫 🤫 🤫 

tenor.gif?itemid=10587157

Evidently, Kevin was too busy packing his bags and making plans during the Sweet 16 celebration. 😂  Did he ever get his car back?  I sure hope so.  

Bring back the flame and Go Big Blue!

Rob

With last year being a free year (Covid), doesn't KO technically have 2 years of college eligibility left? 

• Upvote 1

Yes all the players from last year I believe can get an extra year if they want it, pretty much for all sports I think.  Definitely makes the recruiting process interesting as many players with that extra year may graduate and have eligibility left just like Kevin.  

I wish Kevin the best whether he goes to Arkansas or Texas Tech.  I have heard from the beginning it was going to be Arkansas so that is where I expect he will go.  It makes sense that Arkansas would recruit him pretty hard because he just about knocked them out of the tournament, so they are well aware of what he can do.  Still holding out hope that Kevin has a change of heart and realizes ORU is the best spot for him.  I am not holding my breath however…