KO's future

TrueBlue82

I think Lionel Worrell (#42) transferred FROM Michigan...Don't recall Cantrell.

KO working out for the Sixers?....TheEagleman will keep an eye out for him next week in Philly.....😎

When the season ended, I'm sure both KO & Max requested an NBA draft evaluation, which I believe the schools actually submit for the players. At that stage its basically teams saying a player would possibly be drafted or not. Obviously Max got feed back that he would probably be drafted and declared himself for draft consideration and KO didn't.  This is a very broad evaluation, once declared as Max is and selected to attend the combine its a much more in depth evaluation from the actual GM's and team draft decision makers. So Max has very specific feed back to decide if he wants to stay in the draft or not. But, unless you're a lottery pick there are usually no certainties.  

Kevin, didn't declare for the draft but has obviously explored all options available. Every players dream is to play in the NBA and it sounds like that is is first choice, he is looking for a team to bring him into training camp as an undrafted free agent, difficult to make it into league through this route, but possible.

Pro's and cons are: Max's declared route holds the possibility of the golden ring which is 1st round guaranteed money. KO's possible route is difficult, but he also is not limited to just one team that may have drafted him in the 2nd round, not sign him to a contract, but still retain his rights. I'm sure he is also looking at overseas opportunities or as we now know transferring to a big conference school.  

I have 2 concerns moving forward, 1st are small schools like ORU, only going to be stepping stones for the diamond in the rough guys they sign out of high school, coach up, develop and then they enter the portal and move on. Which was always somewhat of a concern, but so much easier now and there's money involved now.  Secondly- recruiting for small schools; in my opinion just became very difficult with the NIL rule, which specifically states that schools are not to arrange deals for players or use NIL deals as a recruiting tool. Which tells me that the schools are going to arrange deals for their players and use it in strongly in recruiting!! The small schools like ORU will not be able to compete with the "non-school created"  deals that huge state schools in our region like Texas, OU or Arkansas will be throwing around, as well as the big money private schools like TCU or Baylor. The small schools will just not be able to compete for top players and will then lose the players they develop to the big boys. It's already turned into big money deals and the rule is 2 days old- see Spencer Rattler at OU, and I'm sure it's going to be one of the first questions recruits ask schools now. I see the NIL deals being used by the big schools to sign players and if the player is good they continue and if not they dry up and the player can move on. The opposite for small schools, you can sign the players not getting the big offers, but if you develop them they move on in a year or two. 

Kevin was a great player for ORU and I appreciate what he did for the program and the University and wish him all the best!

Tulsa World: Bill Haisten: As a Tulsa restaurateur is ready to participate and Spencer Rattler capitalizes, the potential of NIL is stunning

I couldn't attach this article from the Tulsa World today, but I strongly recommend everyone read it.   Its about a local Tulsa business owner who is getting involved in NIL deals for OU players and he discusses how Tulsa will be big for NIL deals for OU and OSU athletes(ORU was not mentioned in the article, the only ORU story in the TW today is that KO entered the transfer portal). The article also puts Spencer Rattler NIL potential at $750,000!!!   I saw online today that rapper Master P's son an incoming freshman basketball player at (Non-Power 5 conference) Tennessee St. signed a 4 year $2 million NIL deal yesterday. NIL deals are going to be the #1 factor in recruiting and keeping players moving forward in college athletics!

ORU is going to have to get involved in this or they will be left behind, all those highly rated high school juniors & soph's considering ORU along with the big name schools will now be looking for NIL deals, sweet 16 success  is quickly forgotten. NIL is great for the players and I agree that the players have a right to capitalize on their time in the limelight, but its going to be a challenge for schools and college sports in general.   Coach Mills has done a great job of building the program, creating visibility and generating interest, unfortunately the game changed dramatically 3 day ago and what he has built on the court may not be enough- particularly in the recruiting wars.  

ORU mainly signs two or three star players (3 three star players this year).  Are those type of guys going to be making big NIL deals? It will be interesting to see how Coach Mills handles all these changes.  How does all this NIL stuff fit in with the Honor Code?  Maybe for another topic. 

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU mainly signs two or three star players (3 three star players this year).  Are those type of guys going to be making big NIL deals? It will be interesting to see how Coach Mills handles all these changes.  How does all this NIL stuff fit in with the Honor Code?  Maybe for another topic. 

You're absolutely right Keenan; ORU gets mainly the 3 star level recruits, but that's the same as our cross town rival TU and Summit league competitor's. How Coach Mills handles these changes will be very important- I'm sure that in Fargo, ND or Brookings, SD where the Bison and Jackrabbits who have no other competition for fanbase and boosters will be finding NIL deals for its better players. Of course they wont be huge money deals like at OU or Texas, but they'll get the local business's like car dealerships and restaurants to pay players to do appearances, autograph signings and whatever else is allowed.  

Sorry to have gotten off the topic, but the new NIL rule is going to change college sports- probably already is!

11 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I saw online today that rapper Master P's son an incoming freshman basketball player at (Non-Power 5 conference) Tennessee St. signed a 4 year $2 million NIL deal yesterday. NIL deals are going to be the #1 factor in recruiting and keeping players moving forward in college athletics!

I respect Percy Miller's hustle... but no way his son is worth a $2M endorsement deal. This seems similar to when DeRozan and Miller gave Tim Flyod and ultimatum on DeRozan signing with USC.

IMHO this NIL rule is a disaster for college athletics but the cat is already out of the bag…

On 7/3/2021 at 9:49 PM, Dr. Cornelius said:

I respect Percy Miller's hustle... but no way his son is worth a $2M endorsement deal. This seems similar to when DeRozan and Miller gave Tim Flyod and ultimatum on DeRozan signing with USC.

Completely agree about Percy's son Doc, but your reference to DeRozan is what interests me; if a 5 star, McDonalds All American was worth approx. $500k in "dark money". when it was prohibited 10-12 years ago,  what is the price now that it's permissible? Don't be surprised when you see these small schools going to Duke, UNC, Kentucky and other top 25 ranked teams for pre-season money games and the 4 or 5 highly recruited  one and done freshman starting are making more money then the opposing small schools coach, AD or University President!!  The value of playing nationally televised games to a players individual brand will be nuts, and by the time the NCAA tourney comes around you will see players in multi million dollars NIL TV endorsement deals, for top guys like recent players Zion Williamson or Cade Cunningham it will be limitless, but for all the Big Ten, ACC and power 5 conferences with TV networks the players will be getting very large deals, that's not even considering the local business's that will gladly pay players for appearances/speaking, autograph's etc., etc.. that the schools used to have to keep away from paying the players! The flood gates are wide open and the money wars will trickle down very quickly to the mid-major and small schools.     

People are going to be shocked at the staggering amounts of money being thrown around!  KO could very well make more money next year at one of the big basketball schools than most of the coaches in the Summit League. He's turning down overseas money, so his offers have to be substantial!!     

We all know that some schools in the past have used money in college sports for a competitive advantage, now any school that doesn't offer NIL money to athletes it will be a competitive disadvantage.   

6 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Last week it was 99% that KO was gone. 

Today I'd put it at 72.4%. 

You still remeber stuff from your statistics course?! Dang. 😆

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

You still remeber stuff from your statistics course?! Dang. 😆

Where else can you go to get both excellent sports commentary and lessons in statistics? 🙂  ORU Sports Forum!

• Haha 1

After making a B in Stats and not remembering one thing I give KO a 10% chance of returning. Here is my reasoning: KO has coaches at ORU that truly care about him , want the best for him and want him back. Now that he has entered the portal even if he has thoughts of returning to ORU will his pride keep him from doing so and have other outside influences fed his mind with things he wants to hear. I have no doubt the coaches would still welcome KO with open arms. There is an old saying that it is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled. I believe Max was told by the NBA people many things that he wanted to hear and believe but in the end he sought wise counsel and made a long term decision. Im not convinced KO is seeking wise counsel. Time will tell and I certainly wish him great  success.

KO graduated so he would need to want to pursue a masters degree that ORU offers as well.  Hoping he comes back to get that MBA.

8 hours ago, eagle88 said:

I believe Max was told by the NBA people many things that he wanted to hear and believe but in the end he sought wise counsel and made a long term decision.

With all due respect, I bet it was pretty much the exact opposite in terms of what Max heard from the NBA clubs:  ever since Chicago, I'm guessing this was the drill at every steak dinner the past couple of weeks:

• Congratulations on such a great year!
  • We think you're a fantastic guy; you possess a lot of the qualities we are looking for in this organization
  • As you can imagine, we have to be very careful to get the most value out of our picks in this year's draft
  • We simply can't make you any promises if you are available when it comes our time to pick
  • If you do choose to stay in the draft but aren't selected, we definitely want to continue this conversation with you as a possible free agent
  • We wish you nothing but the best in all your future endeavors!

But, here's where we can agree:  his family, coaches, etc. making sure he understood loud & clear what the clubs were saying, and not letting him fall victim to "hearing only what he wanted to hear."

Like this guy did...

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF