KO's future

TrueBlue82

Interesting update...

Which begs the question, is KO leaving because Max isn't coming back, or because he IS coming back and doesn't want to play second-fiddle?  You would think that he would've made this decision much earlier if Max's decision wasn't a factor.

Or, maybe the NIL decision was a factor???

In any case - he did graduate, and I can't fault him for wanting to show his skills at a higher level.

But, it's still disappointing that he doesn't think he can get the exposure (or the further development) that he needs at ORU.

Disappointed he won't be back, but he got his degree and made a huge impact on ORUMBB. 

Thanks for everything to KO and all the best at the next stop.

I believe yesterday was the deadline to enter the portal and not have to set out next season.  My guess, and it is strictly a guess, is that if Abmas opts out of the NBA draft, Obanor will stay.  If not, Obanor will look to transfer.

Wow what a curve ball! Did not see that one coming.  It must not have worked out for K.O. to play pro overseas.  God bless him as he looks to make his next move!

I mentioned this several weeks ago, and it bears repeating again:  if YOU were 23-years-old AND had your ORU degree, would YOU want to spend another year in an ORU dormitory?

Until ORU modifies its policy about living off-campus; this is going to happen more and more with talented upper-classmen and graduates, due to the liberalization of NCAA transfer rules. 

• Upvote 1

Bummer. I didn’t expect him back, but I was expecting him to go overseas and not to a different university. Stings a bit that he’s decided to transfer, but you can’t blame him. I loved my time at ORU, but if I had graduated and had the opportunities he does, I’d probably move on to the next adventure as well. The point that Old Titan makes above is spot on. It’s time for ORU to update the requirement to stay on campus, though I’m sure that’d be a huge hit financially. Even just allowing seniors to stay off campus would be a huge upgrade.  

Kevin, appreciate all you did for the program.  Best of luck, we’ll be rooting for you. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I mentioned this several weeks ago, and it bears repeating again:  if YOU were 23-years-old AND had your ORU degree, would YOU want to spend another year in an ORU dormitory?

Until ORU modifies its policy about living off-campus; this is going to happen more and more with talented upper-classmen and graduates, due to the liberalization of NCAA transfer rules. 

Best of luck to Kevin!

I have to admit living in EMR at 23 doesn't sound that appealing 😆. I wonder why Kevin didn't declare for the draft like Max did just to get feedback from GMs.

In case I need to edit my post above:  anyone know whather an athlete who has his undergraduate degree can live off campus? 

And, what is the current policy about married athletes:  they used to have to live at University Village back in the late 60's and early 70's, then they were required to live in ratty subsidized apartments behind the WalMart across from the Mabee Center.

Maybe an older athlete can arrange the proverbial "marriage of convenience" to get off-campus housing?

29 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

In case I need to edit my post above:  anyone know whather an athlete who has his undergraduate degree can live off campus? 

And, what is the current policy about married athletes:  they used to have to live at University Village back in the late 60's and early 70's, then they were required to live in ratty subsidized apartments behind the WalMart across from the Mabee Center.

Maybe an older athlete can arrange the proverbial "marriage of convenience" to get off-campus housing?

Actually, now that you mention it, he may be able to live off campus. Only undergrad students are required to stay on campus. Married students can stay off campus as well.  
But, If I had to guess , the basketball team is still expected to stay on EMR 7 regardless of graduation status. 

That stinks.....KO should be allowed to live off campus......TheEagleman got married after his soph year so he could get off campus.....unfortunately it lasted 20 years.....😬

If KO (one of the two stars of the only sport at ORU that matters), that led the school to the Sweet 16, wanted to live off-campus as a condition for him coming back, it would have happened. Period. 

My guess is that he wants to play on a bigger stage and I can't blame him. It has to be depressing to play in front of 750 people for your entire college career. My guess is that he lands at a bigger Texas school or Arky.

ESPN has a cover story of K.O. entering the transfer portal on the front page of their college basketball website.  They claimed that both K.O. and Max entered the NBA draft process.  It also says that because K.O. already graduated, that he can still transfer after the deadline and be eligible to play for another school next year.  It all seems complicated but as long as Kevin understands it, then everything is ok.

K.O. has always been a blessing to ORU and I am sure he has a bright future in basketball or whatever else he does in life!

Wonder if new Texas coach Chris Beard (from Texas Tech) will make a run at him as well, and/or Kelvin Sampson at Houston (Kevin’s hometown), or maybe even Bill Self at Kansas?

Kevin certainly isn’t lacking big-time places to land. Can only think of a handful of ORU players over the years who have transferred to Power 5 schools to finish their careers:  Mark Gottfried to Alabama, Elvis Rolle to Florida State, and most recently Javan White to Clemson immediately spring to mind.  Anyone else I’m forgetting?

1 minute ago, ORob1 said:

Chuck Dahms to Wake Forest...

Good one! 

And, in keeping with the "testifying-to-the-NCAA-investigators-then-packing-bags" category, trying to remember where Cris Cantrell and Lionel Worrell ended up?

I hope Kevin returns to ORU, but can certainly understand that he wants to at least consider his options. I didn’t think that he had declared for the NBA draft, so I assumed he was pursuing Euro-League options. 

I wish him success and appreciate all that he has done for ORU.