Summit League Tourney semis: ORU vs. SDSU

Old Titan

55 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Also, a question: I was reading ORU Athletics' article about the game, and it said that "the Jacks brought the one-sided crowd into the game as the lead dipped to one." How big was that "crowd"?

The camera panned over to them at one point and they looked to be at leasst maybe 40 or so? Scheirman at one point looked to them and motioned for them to get louder. They were definitely involved in the game. 

major_mid do you have a better answer, as it looks like you were there?

14 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

The camera panned over to them at one point and they looked to be at leasst maybe 40 or so? Scheirman at one point looked to them and motioned for them to get louder. They were definitely involved in the game. 

major_mid do you have a better answer, as it looks like you were there?

Probably 40 people but would be a stretch to say it really made a difference. It's players family so they tend to be More reserved. I believe Max parents were there also

Wow, Dan Patrick sounding REALLY geriatric with that error-riddled stumble down memory lane:  "Richie FOO-KWAW??"

Still, great to see Adam Hildebrand gets some national run; the guy is a seriously hard worker, and that was a great call on the game-winner.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Example #18,459,325 as to why a strong athletic department is vital to a university, especially one like ORU. Oral knew this. 

Thank goodness for Max and Kevin. Without those two dudes on campus right now, things would be abysmal. 

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Wow, Dan Patrick sounding REALLY geriatric with that error-riddled stumble down memory lane:  "Richie FOO-KWAW??"

I think he's had some pretty bad health problems over the past couple years.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I think he's had some pretty bad health problems over the past couple years.

I had no idea; I've always been a big fan of his, but have not been able to tune in to his show for years.

Patrick and Keith "Like-Him-Or-Hate-Him" Olberman were must-see TV back in the day on Sportscenter, before the internet took over the highlights universe.

Good for Adam....he's had to sit through a lot of bad basketball.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:09 PM, ORUalum said:

The announcers were absolutely crushed.....you pray for an ending like that in that profession and this is what they give us...

Before we (thankfully) close the book on poor commentating, I wanted to follow a short rabbit trail that has been bugging me.  When we switched to the zone against SDSU, the announcers stated something like: "we haven't seen ORU in the zone defense much this year, but in past seasons they were predominantly a zone-based team, so this shouldn't be foreign to them."  I would let this go, except that this is at least the third time over the past two seasons that I have heard this "zone-based" analysis from a Dakota-based media source. 

I've been following ORU basketball for nearly 50 years, and watching very closely for the period of time after the Dakota schools joined the Summit.  I can't remember a time when ORU played zone as its primary defense.  I know that for the Sutton brothers, it was a mortal sin against their father to even CONSIDER playing anything but man-to-man! 

So, did I pull a Rip Van Winkle for a season or two and totally miss the "zone era"???   Anyone have any idea what these guys are talking about???   If not, perhaps the guys at the Reaching the Summit Podcast (which has been great, by the way) could help set the record straight, as they would have better connection to this MidCo network team.  Just doing my part to help eliminate Fake News!

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Before we (thankfully) close the book on poor commentating, I wanted to follow a short rabbit trail that has been bugging me.  When we switched to the zone against SDSU, the announcers stated something like: "we haven't seen ORU in the zone defense much this year, but in past seasons they were predominantly a zone-based team, so this shouldn't be foreign to them."  I would let this go, except that this is at least the third time over the past two seasons that I have heard this "zone-based" analysis from a Dakota-based media source. 

I've been following ORU basketball for nearly 50 years, and watching very closely for the period of time after the Dakota schools joined the Summit.  I can't remember a time when ORU played zone as its primary defense.  I know that for the Sutton brothers, it was a mortal sin against their father to even CONSIDER playing anything but man-to-man! 

So, did I pull a Rip Van Winkle for a season or two and totally miss the "zone era"???   Anyone have any idea what these guys are talking about???   If not, perhaps the guys at the Reaching the Summit Podcast (which has been great, by the way) could help set the record straight, as they would have better connection to this MidCo network team.  Just doing my part to help eliminate Fake News!

I think Mill's first year at ORU we ran a lot of zone until we got to the summit league schedule and every team was shooting lights out against us. Maybe a little bit the following season as well, I remember Lacis as a freshman playing at the top of the zone and being quite a pest.

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

to be fair, it was forgettable basketball to say the least.

Yep, the league shot mills out of that 1-3-1 trapping zone he brought from baylor (especially the second time through the league his first year)

I was thinking the same thing when he said that. I don't remember it ever being the PRIMARY defense, but we definitely did play zone a lot more than we ever have in the first couple of Mills seasons. We played a lot of man too, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 11:58 AM, MrsSmith said:

We watched the broadcast and listened to Adam.  It was annoyingly off - the audio was behind the video.  I can deal with it better if the video is behind the audio.  

We did enjoy ESPN+.  We will need to remind each other to cancel in a month.  🙂

I posted a reminder but it looks like it was deleted 🤔

32 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I posted a reminder but it looks like it was deleted 🤔

I saw your reminder and cancelled.  thanks!