Summit League Tourney semis: ORU vs. SDSU

Old Titan

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Lol - I’m not that two-faced. But, I sure have enjoyed the game plans the past two nights - defense has been a priority!  That, and fewer threes, are all I’ve ever asked of the man!

Correction, you have also asked him to wear a tie! 🤪🤪

ORU buzzer beater has already been shown on ESPN multiple times in East Coast prime time...you cant buy that kind of free pub....biggest win since 2008...until tomorrow night???🏀😛🏀

I am so happy for KO - and so proud of the young man.  He was in foul trouble all night, and then, just when you think that it is KO time (5 minutes remaining), Coach Mills keeps his all-conference player ON THE BENCH!  He could have gotten ticked off and sulked about it, but he stayed in the game mentally, if not physically.  Then, when Lacis fouled out with 1:54 remining, KO came into the game and made a HUGE difference, with a dunk, a strong defensive play, and the final tip-in.  He was in PERFECT position for the rebound and tip - and wouldn't let Wilson outmuscle him.  A display of great maturity from Kevin Obanor.

Of course, anything can happen tomorrow night, but I believed at the beginning of the tourney that the Championship match-up was tonight.  And what a game it was - one for the ages!  I haven't screamed at my TV that loud in a LONG time!

• Like 2

A game for ages indeed. Haven’t been that nervous at the end of an ORU game since Domo and Craion beat Mizzou at the Mabee over 10 years ago. Felt like we beat SDSU, the refs, and the announcers(they were so deflated that it was comical). I have been pretty lukewarm toward Mills but the man has coached out of his mind the last two games.

Kudos to Lacis, Weaver, Jurgens and Thompson. Those guys have been overshadowed by the greatness of Max and  Kevin but they came to play and they should get all the credit.

Props to Baylor Schireman. He’s tough and nearly brought the team back on his own. He was clearly exhausted and took a nasty fall, lesser players would have quit. He is someone to build a team around.

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

The announcers were absolutely crushed.....you pray for an ending like that in that profession and this is what they give us...

Espn top 10

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

The announcers were absolutely crushed.....you pray for an ending like that in that profession and this is what they give us...

Espn top 10!?

ORU leads off ESPN SportsCenter here on the East Coast...Scott Van Pelt lovin' the Golden Eagles...😍

15 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU leads off ESPN SportsCenter here on the East Coast...Scott Van Pelt lovin' the Golden Eagles...😍

Here were the highlights coming out of the commercial break at halftime of Gonzaga-St. Mary’s, which I’m guessing had a few eyeballs on the West Coast tuned in. 

YOU JUST CAN’T BUY THIS KIND OF PUBLICITY!!

(actually, you CAN buy this kind of publicity, but it’s really, REALLY expensive) 😉

Thanks to ORUAlum for posting the post-game press conference.  For as bland as Coach Mills was in the MidCo interview right after the game, I thought he did a great job in this press conference. 

Two classic quotes (paraphrasing):

"This fatigue stuff (about playing three games in three days) is baloney - these guys will be ready to play"

Deferring to the players when asked about how the program has progressed under his leadership "anyone could've coached this team tonight.  My wife would've won tonight."

Love it!

Got home late from a meeting and watched the replay of the second half. Agree with comments about the game: Mills coached a good game; left the hot players in. The refs were horrible as were the announcers. Role players really stepped up. Abmas played well and didn’t try to force things (10 assists). My observation: this team is really well conditioned. SDSU players were gassed. Will be interesting to see how that factors in tomorrow 

5 hours ago, major_mid said:

Have fun tonight everyone! Sincerely Reach Summit pod

Thanks for all your hard work this season; your coverage of Summit hoops and ORU Basketball has been too notch!

baby hat GIF

• Thanks 1

Obanor was almost directly under the basket when he willed his way to get the putback.  He wasn’t really in better position but he wanted it more.  He has been a rebounding force this year and it paid off when it mattered most.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Old Titan said:

You of all people know that I call ‘em like I see ‘em. 

That makes me no less a fan than you if your beloved Memphis Tigers were in a similar situation in the AAC tournament. 

Particularly if (as in my prediction above) there was $$$ involved. 😎

You're on fire, big guy! Give me all of your college basketball picks so that I can go to Vegas, bet the other side, and get rich! 

13 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Cha-ching! ORU and Over works....biggest ORU win since 2008???...what a weekend for the Athletic program...are we still in the tank, Voice?? 😉😁😉

Yes. But, a nice win. I'm very happy for those kids! I hope they can get one more tonight.

• Like 1

This game proved a couple of things. Free throws MATTER. Props to our team for hitting 100% of them last night. And you shouldn't go into a game expecting one or two guys to carry the entire load. EVERYONE has to come to play. There aren't enough superlatives to describe what all the members of this team did last night and the night before. 

Obanor has been my favorite since he played his first game for ORU. Now, of course, he is REALLY my favorite! What mental toughness. What perseverance. What power. What focus. What determination. 

Oh--and wasn't it clever of Paul Mills to give other teams the impression all year that we live and die on what Max and Kevin do? So the other teams come in and focus on stopping them, while our other guys--our secret weapons--steal the show! 

These two wins are just what I needed to forget about this stupid pandemic for at least a little while.

Also, a question: I was reading ORU Athletics' article about the game, and it said that "the Jacks brought the one-sided crowd into the game as the lead dipped to one." How big was that "crowd"?