Coaching Carousel 2014

ORUalum

Yep Jasick will likely be the next coach to leave, he will be at Jacksonville tomorrow. He was named mid-major coach of the year this weekend. Second solid coach IPFW might lose because they don't support their program adequately.  

Sutton and Nagy are the only two familiar faces left. 

It's startling how the Summit League has gone from so many coaches with years of experience (Homer Drew, Greg Kampe, Ron Hunter, Sutton, Nagy, Phillips, the guy at USD that just stepped down) to a league with so many fresh new faces.

You guys were only gone two years, and the only Summit coach left next year that you have conference experience with will be Nagy at SDSU. A very odd pair of years for the Summit.

I look at it this way, with Summit coaches basically getting offers by so-called "better" programs it is a testament to the quality of the League's basketball programs. This fact coupled with member commitments to better arenas means there is a seriousness in this League that did not exist in the Southland. IUPUI is spending approximately $63mm to renovate/expand Fairgrouns Coliseum to an 8,200 seat arena. UNO will spend $81.3mm for a new on-campus 7,500 seat arena. NDSU is spending approximately $41mm to renovate/expand its arena to 6,000. USD is spending approximately $32mm for a new 6,000 arena connected to the DakotaDome. I could go on but a picture begins to develop as to the level of commitment to basketball in the Summit. Hopefully in a few years this will be a multibid league.

400-pound gorilla in the room when it comes to facilities:  In two years or so, what Summit League programs other than ORU will be playing in an unrenovated 45-year-old building?

400-pound gorilla in the room when it comes to facilities:  In two years or so, what Summit League programs other than ORU will be playing in an unrenovated 45-year-old building?

I love the Mabee Center.  Its a nice comfy Movie theater where people watch basketball. At least from  the fan side of things. We never get home court advantage at home because the place is not intimidating at all.   I would just love it if the Athletic Dept  would just block off the Blue seats or make people fill in the bottom, or put the students on the floor in the endzone.  There are plenty of little things we could do to make the Mabee better for basketball even without renovation.  

• Upvote 1

I am not sure why we don't make the changes necessary to improve the atmospherics in the Mabee Center. You mentioned several ideas. We need to fill the seats that are in the camera TV camera angles. We could also re-cover the golden seats and change the color to dark blue.

At our last game of the season, we had hundreds of fans in the blue sections that should have been encouraged to move down - but that never happened.

And, Mabee will still be the nicest. Spending many millions to create a place similar to the UMAC does nothing for me.

And, as far as Mabee being a home court advantage, that place is ELECTRIC when you put 5,000 fans in the building that are into the game. There have been times when you can't hear yourself think, it is so loud and intimidating. I saw a top 25 Arkansas team literally crumble to ORU when the Mabee got to rockin'.

• Upvote 1

I saw that Arkansas game as well. An 86-81 win against Nolan as I recall.

that was a great game...they almost knocked off Arkansas at Bud Walton (the year before or after the win in Mabee?)  i'll never forget they lost on a Kareem Reid layup in the final seconds -- heartbreaker

Kareem Reid ran the length of the court and made a layup with about 2 seconds left. It was amazing. /s

You're collective memories are WAY too good. I remember we played Arkansas sometime since I've been following ORU basketball and that's about it . . . :worried:

• Upvote 1

The Kareem Reid shot was at Bud Walton Arena. They must not have started the clock until he hit the free throw line on the other end.

We have a head coach at NDSU again, long-time assistant Dave Richman gets the job. He was the associate head coach for the past seven seasons. He has worked under four different head coaches while at NDSU(Saul Phillips, Tim Miles, Greg McDermott and Ray Giacoletti). 

Terry Vandrovec (on Twitter) says that, per The Forum:  Dave Richman will start at $190K at NDSU. Craig Smith to get $185K from USD. SDSU career wins leader Scott Nagy at $200K.

Here are all the Summit salaries...

Sutton(ORU)-$483K
Scott(Denver)-$412k
Nagy(SDSU)-$200k
Richman(NDSU)-$190K
Smith(USD)- $185k
Howard(IUPUI)-$140k
Molinari(WIU)-$140k
Hansen(Omaha)$116k
Jasick(IPFW)- $93k

Thanks for this information. As someone mentioned, Molinari is out at WIU. He took an assistant job at Nebraska.