Coaching Carousel 2014

ORUalum

Underwood is reportedly staying at SFA.  Southern Miss is now looking at KU assistant and former Nebraska coach Doc Sadler.

Underwood probably got a nice raise out of the deal...

Underwood is reportedly staying at SFA.  Southern Miss is now looking at KU assistant and former Nebraska coach Doc Sadler.

Underwood probably got a nice raise out of the deal...

SFA spending some of that NCAA money

• 2 weeks later...

tmh8286 will get a kick out of this one:  Scott Sutton mentioned in a speculative list of prospective candidates for the Oregon State Beavers head coaching job, which opened up Monday with the firing of the "First Brother-In-Law", Craig Robinson (Michelle Obama's sibling):

The Speculation Has Begun (BeaverBlitz.com)

Hey!!  I could go by and tell Scott hi when I drop in on my mom.  I'm sure most on the board know that long-time ORU women's assistant coach Eric Ely is already coaching at OSU - if Scott were to go to OSU we'd be looking like the OSU basketball coaching pipeline!!

They have a fine old arena there - beautiful, and lots of character.  So unlike the concrete palaces that are constructed on most campuses today.

TheEagleman would really be shocked if Scott Sutton left ORU for Oregon State or any BCS program for that matter.....he just seems to comfortable at 7777 South Lewis....but I guess stranger things have happened......if he did make the move West.....who would be the most likely candidate to replace him after all these years?..... :nerd:

• 1 month later...

"Right now, Phillips is earning $175,000 a year. That needs to go beyond $200,000 if NDSU has any hopes of keeping Phillips."

"But there is only so much a mid-major program like NDSU can afford without breaking the bank. It can’t spend $412,000 like Denver is doing for head coach Joe Scott – even though the Denver athletic department budget is reportedly in the red. And it can’t match the $483,000 that Scott Sutton gets at Oral Roberts – a program that will be returning to the Summit League next year."

Wow.

Time to acknowledge the 400-pound gorilla in the room:  once you figure in Sean Sutton, Conley Phipps, Kyan Brown, Wade Mason and Steve Upshaw, is it possible ORU's outlay for coaching staff salaries may be in the neighborhood of $1 million a year? :-o

483K    584K

that gorilla was even larger than thought in 2012-13

post-93-0-44219900-1402611168_thumb.jpg

EDIT:

by comparison TUMBB spent just under a million, but they got 2 coaches for that price (Wojcik - 514K and Manning - 480K)

post-93-0-23055000-1402612849_thumb.jpg

$584K?....that's a nice chunk of change for Coach Sutton....his pay keeps going up and his wins keep going down....just sayin'..... :nerd:

483K    584K

that gorilla was even larger than thought in 2012-13

attachicon.gif2012-13.jpg

EDIT:

by comparison TUMBB spent just under a million, but they got 2 coaches for that price (Wojcik - 514K and Manning - 480K)

attachicon.gifTU_2012-13.jpg

Wow...

W-2's??  Where did you find that info?

$584K?....that's a nice chunk of change for Coach Sutton....his pay keeps going up and his wins keep going down....just sayin'..... :nerd:

as you can see 115K was a bonus (for CIT run or a loyalty clause i would assume).

Wow...

W-2's??  Where did you find that info?

Guidestar.org posts 990's for all non-profits

Lots of information in 990's now. Not like it used to be. I am on the board of a local non-profit and the 990 is much more detailed & informative than our audited financials.

Lots of non-cash taxable compensation can go into that number for all coaches - personal use of automobiles/planes, excess term life insurance over $50K in coverage, use of facilities for summer camps, tuition benefits that are outside the normal employee benefits, etc.  Not all of these may be in Scott's situation, but no college coach is seeing the amount of money showing up in a Form 990 in his/her bank account.  Regardless of the compensation, college basketball is a BIG business and we have to acknowledge that the economics of a basketball coach (that's worth anything) is greater than most of us make.  :)

i won't bother posting it, but there is a section breaking down his non-cash benefits  ---  family airline tickets, country club membership, dues etc.   it's a rather small percentage of his overall compensation.  the bulk of that 584 number is his base pay of 449K + the bonus.  (and of course a big chunk of those are taken by uncle sam)

i don't think anyone begrudges him his pay.  he is probably owed a bit when you consider he was only making a tad over 70K his first few years as head coach at ORU.

however, with all the budget scrutiny that must be going on to reach financial sustainability that number looms large when you consider that ORU's conference peers are paying far less for their head coach.

i'm sure Coach Sutton is worth every cent, but having the largest salary can become a burden when the wins aren't there to justify it.  ORUMBB needs a bounce back year after what was a dreadful season (excluding the TU win).

i won't bother posting it, but there is a section breaking down his non-cash benefits  ---  family airline tickets, country club membership, dues etc.   it's a rather small percentage of his overall compensation.  the bulk of that 584 number is his base pay of 449K + the bonus.  (and of course a big chunk of those are taken by uncle sam)

i don't think anyone begrudges him his pay.  he is probably owed a bit when you consider he was only making a tad over 70K his first few years as head coach at ORU.

however, with all the budget scrutiny that must be going on to reach financial sustainability that number looms large when you consider that ORU's conference peers are paying far less for their head coach.

i'm sure Coach Sutton is worth every cent, but having the largest salary can become a burden when the wins aren't there to justify it.  ORUMBB needs a bounce back year after what was a dreadful season (excluding the TU win).

This.

Making any distinction between Scott's salary and "what most of us make" (as Bogus put it) is missing the point.

The 400-pound gorilla in the room is Scott's compensation vs. what other Summit/Southland championship coaches are paid.

In business terms, it's about ROI...

i won't bother posting it, but there is a section breaking down his non-cash benefits --- family airline tickets, country club membership, dues etc. it's a rather small percentage of his overall compensation. the bulk of that 584 number is his base pay of 449K + the bonus. (and of course a big chunk of those are taken by uncle sam)

i don't think anyone begrudges him his pay. he is probably owed a bit when you consider he was only making a tad over 70K his first few years as head coach at ORU.

i'm sure Coach Sutton is worth every cent, but having the largest salary can become a burden when the wins aren't there to justify it. ORUMBB needs a bounce back year after what was a dreadful season (excluding the TU win).

Great post, Alum.

It's time for ORU and Scott Sutton to post a much needed 20+ win season.....is it too much to ask for a Summit League title in our first year back?....probably but it's on TheEagleman wish list for 2015..... :nerd: