Coaching Carousel 2014

ORUalum

tmh,

What do you think NDSU can pay Phillips? I'm sure Wash st. will be around $600,000 per year.That is really steep for schools in the Summit to match.

I don't have a clue. Probably can't pay what Washington State can. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to coaching salaries. Sometimes it's shocking what small schools pay, and surprising how little big programs pay. I guess it all depends on how wealthy the donors are and how badly a program wants to keep their coach. But to me it makes sense that Washington State would have deeper pockets than North Dakota State.

I'd think Washington State would be a good move for Phillips, if that's where he ends up.

Maybe Phillips likes NDSU and doesn't care about money as long as the Bison alums pony up for a little bump in salary....he might be a loyal guy like Coach Sutton and hang around because he comfortable....you never know what his family situation might be like....and what's the deal with Manning?...how did he come into a lot of money???... :nerd:

Just getting out of North Dakota would seem like a raise to me...

Heck, I'd take less money, to get out of North Dakota for Washington.

Scott is a very different situation than most coaches. It Phillips gets a $250,000 bump i bet he would leave.

Manning made a pretty good amount playing i am sure. However, someone comes in offering $1.5 million and is a step up he is gone. He wants to move up the ladder i think. Plus i think he realizes the situation they are getting into. Quality of players they get is going to have to keep going up. Same as if ORU went to the Valley.

I think Tulsa compares to SMU as far size of school and comparison. I think SMU spends a lot more on their program and is paying Brown $2 million. They got a top 50 player last year and are getting a top 5 guy this year and in on another top 10 guy in Dallas for next year. However, that is all because of Brown what happens when he leaves?

I

Like I said earlier, Saul Phillips applied/interviewed for a LOT of jobs last year.  He's looking to move on.

Scott is a very different situation than most coaches. It Phillips gets a $250,000 bump i bet he would leave.

Manning made a pretty good amount playing i am sure. However, someone comes in offering $1.5 million and is a step up he is gone. He wants to move up the ladder i think. Plus i think he realizes the situation they are getting into. Quality of players they get is going to have to keep going up. Same as if ORU went to the Valley.

I think Tulsa compares to SMU as far size of school and comparison. I think SMU spends a lot more on their program and is paying Brown $2 million. They got a top 50 player last year and are getting a top 5 guy this year and in on another top 10 guy in Dallas for next year. However, that is all because of Brown what happens when he leaves?

I

Former Illinois State coach Tim Jankovich is making 700K as SMU Associate Head Coach and "coach-in-waiting" once Brown leaves/retires/etc.:

ESPN Reports Jankovich Headed To SMU (Peoria Journal Star, April 2012)

OT,

The best part of Jankovich's deal is it is 5 years and he has to be paid in the top 5 in the new conference. Oh the kicker is if they don't hire him they have to still pay him the full amount of what he would make!:) Now that is the best contract i have ever seen for an assistant coach.

SMU has a larger enrollment and larger number of donors with deep pockets than TU does. The SMU enrollment is roughly twice as large as TU and SMU has a billion dollar endowment. TU aspires to become what SMU already is. That is why SMU can afford Larry Brown.

Jason,

You are right about the size and $$ on SMU. I guess i was comparing as they were in the same conference and SMU made the financial commitment to step up as they joined the new conference. Now lets see if TU does the same.

I wouldn't go on the TU board and say that though.:) They still think they should make the tourney every year.

Wake Forest cans coach

according to a sportswriter for the Charlotte Observer:

Three primary candidates for Wake Forest: Russell Turner, Mike White and Danny Manning

— Joe Giglio (@jwgiglio)

March 20, 2014

Wake Forest would be a good job for Danny Manning.  They haven't been as good over the last few years, but they have a rich history in a big time basketball conference.  I hope they hire him.

Saul Phillips is shooting up the charts like a bullet now...won an NCAA game with his POY senior sitting next to him on the bench.  Impressive...

Totally agree about Saul Phillips.  He can probably get the WSU job now IF he wants it.  Just like Danny Manning though, this is the year for Phillips to make the move.

This is good exposure for the Badlands, err, Summit League, and the Summit teams are loving a little extra $ from the extra game.

I'm glad a bunch of those seniors will be graduating before we rejoin the league.  Great fundamentally sound defense and NDSU played with a high basketball IQ, like you would expect from a bunch of seniors.

it will be interesting to see what happens with Travis Ford.  will he ever have a better group of talent than Brown, Nash, and Smart?