Coaching Carousel 2014

ORUalum

I think the fans would handle it much better as I remember reading the board when Scott was going to take the Wichita st job. Sean will have to go to a smaller school to get back in the head coaching game. ORU would have to get back to the tourney I think for Scott to be considered for that level of job.

I think the fans would handle it much better as I remember reading the board when Scott was going to take the Wichita st job. Sean will have to go to a smaller school to get back in the head coaching game. ORU would have to get back to the tourney I think for Scott to be considered for that level of job.

Bingo!

I hope we have to worry about Scott and/or Sean leaving, next year. That will mean we had a great season and maybe won a game or two, in the dance...

Neither Scott nor Sean will ever interview for the TU job.  That bridge got burned two years ago when Ross Parmley wouldn't even give Scott the courtesy of a thanks-but-no-thanks phone call following his first interview.  They just left him hanging in the wind while they chased down Manning.

Someone told me two years ago they heard of an influential TU donor who was involved in the search saying, "I'll be damned if we're ever going to have a Sutton walking these halls", apparently still bitter about Eddie's refusal to play TU back in their prime.  Would have to think whoever that guy is will be involved in the process this time around, too.

For whatever reason, TU made it painfully obvious two years ago that Scott is not really on their list.  Don't see any scenario short of Scott reeling off a Sweet 16 appearance or two at ORU before the perception of him would change at 11th & Harvard.

Unofficial reports out of Ohio University is that NDSU's Saul Phillips is in final 4 for getting the HC job there. If chosen he would probably triple his base salary instantly with a nice incentive package on top of that. The men's basketball budget is in $3 mm range, maybe more next year. Overall Ohio will spend around $30 mm this year on athletics.

FargoBison is correct. Ohio's AD made it official in a post on the Athletic Department's website ohiobabcats.com this morning. Saul Philips is the new HC in men's basketball at Ohio.

Here's the story on Molinari leaving Western Illinois, from HoopDirt.com:

"Multiple sources have told me that Western Illinois head coach Jim Molinari is headed to Nebraska where he will become Tim Miles' top assistant. Molinari has been at WIU for the past six seasons (79-104). He would replace Craig Smith who became the head coach at South Dakota last week. More on this as it develops."

Plus, Jeff Goodman at ESPN is reporting that Tony Jasick at up-and-coming IPFW is the frontrunner for the Jacksonville head coaching job.

ORU is certainly returning to the Summit League at an opportune time:  Denver is the only current upper-tier program that hasn't been rocked by roster or coaching staff turnover.  NDSU, SDSU, IPFW and Western Illinois will all be unproven entering the season.

Of course, I said the same thing about Stephen F. Austin last year about this time, and look what they did with a new cast of characters...

• Upvote 1

great points OT.  which way do you thing Tulsa will go?  i know you said there is no way it's either Sutton.

Ohio moved rather quickly...i wonder if Phillips even got to interview with Tulsa.

Tulsa has hired a search firm.  In my mind, that will extend the process.  They have a lot of good young players returning, so signing day is not as big of a concern as it might normally be.  Wouldn't surprise me if it was May before they announce a new coach, but you never know:  someone really good might pop to the top of the list and make their decision easier...

it seems nobody knows much about the new AD over there. 

i still say Underwood would be a steal for 11th and Harvard.

the TU message board seems to favor the La Tech coach.

i read Klein's column this morning and got absolutely nothing.

my one take away was...."Here is the one thing Gragg should consider: Hire the best coach available."  --- absolute gold there Klein.

is it just me or can that guy fill up more space than anyone else and yet say so little?

(this post formatted in honor of John Klein)

John Klein is a long-time friend of mine, but we don't talk much these days.

The fact is, I visit with a lot of friends these days, but John Klein is not usually among them.

That's because, even though he is a long-time friend, we simply have not conversed much recently.

And while my days do sometimes include talking to friends from way-back-when, John Klein has not made the list lately.

In conclusion, if I was to hear from any long-time friends today, I doubt they would include John Klein.

Because, as you may or may not already know, we haven't talked in a while. :razz:

• Upvote 1

Fan Board for Ohio (bobcatattack.com) says that Ohio called Phillips at 4:00 pm yesterday and requested a 6:00 pm interview and that within a couple hours the contract was worked out and he was hired.

Fan Board for Ohio (bobcatattack.com) says that Ohio called Phillips at 4:00 pm yesterday and requested a 6:00 pm interview and that within a couple hours the contract was worked out and he was hired.

Yeah, the worst secret on the college coaching job front was that Saul Phillips was ready for his next challenge.

He knew that right now was a good time to go, with all those seniors moving on from the "Bi-son" (never gonna say Bi-zon - "Nah gah dah", as Dana-Carvey-as-George-H.-Bush would say...)

Looks like Will Ryan (Bo's son) will be following Phillips from NDSU to Ohio as an assistant.

Wonder if former ORU assistant and current Southern Illinois associate head coach Tom Hankins will apply at NDSU.  His familiarity with the league and its schools would be a plus...