ORU at UTA -- CIT

ORUalum

Three former ORU foes were also in the CIT, and they lost yesterday: Oakland, North Dakota, and Chicago State.

Sorry Voice, but NAIA doesn't count.....we are just talking NCAA D-1 basketball, baby.....and now ORU goes for two in a row for the first time since the great 1973-74 team that went to the Midwest Regional finals after beating Syracuse and Louisville....speaking of which, TheEagleman recently was looking for some of those old players on line and found out that we lost one of the great Titans of that squad in 2012....Greg McDougald passed away last year at the age of 61.....McDougald was a very good 6-8 PF and he hit a couple of huge baskets late in that Louisville victory to send us to the finals.....TheEagleman still can remember like it was yesterday when he hit an 18 ft jumper from the corner in the final two minutes of that 96-93 victory.....so sorry to hear that Greg is no longer with us...I don't remember seeing anything on ORUgoldeneagles.com about his death....... ;(

Sterns 78/Mark:

Thanks for the report.  I appreciate hearing it from someone who was there.  As for who we play next, it would be great if they and Kent State hooked-up at some point with Kent hosting.  I would be at that game in a "flash" (pun intended), as it would only be about 1 1/2 hour drive for me.  Kent however has come on it the last part of the season and could be a tough matchup.  Either way, I hope the Golden Eagles continue to win and take it all the way through the Championship.  Would be a great way to head into next year.

In the 16 first-round games, only 4 road teams won: Air Force, Rider, Eastern Kentucky, and us. So that's 12 teams that paid to host in the first round competing for 8 host spots this round, which means we'll likely be traveling again.

3 games are already set for Saturday: Eastern Kentucky at Evansville, Tulane at Bradley, and IL-Chicago at Northern Iowa. So we'll be getting one of the other 9 winners: Rider (road winner), East Carolina, Youngstown State, Loyola (MD), Canisius, Kent, Weber State, UC Irvine, or Air Force (road winner). 

My money is on Youngstown State, for a second straight former Mid-Con showdown (they beat Oakland in the first round). I could also see them sending us out west to either Weber or Irvine, with Air Force going to the other location, since we're the farthest west of anyone else left. If so, I agree we'd rather avoid the Weber rematch.

EDIT: ECU just announced that they are hosting Rider, so that brings us down to 7 possible opponents.

Going to Air Force wouldn't be all bad:  not too far, beautiful campus, not overwhelming athletically, etc.

We just played Weber State, don't see that happening.

I think we will get a home game in the next round... :!:

My money is on Voice.  He may still be living in the NAIA world, but he knows his stuff.  :blink:

The Mrs. and I had a great time watching our guys win a (real-time Division I) post-seaon tournament game for the first time in 38 years!  People can understandably devalue the quality of play of the CIT v. NCAA Tournament, but the fact that we're still playing in late March is a testament of the perseverence of our coaches and players to keep practicing and competing.  The other half of the Division I teams (and those that have lost their first round games) aren't able to say that they're still practicing (legally) at this stage. 

Last night, the team played well together and they withstood the adversity of being manhandled by a very physical UTA team.  The disparity in the number of fouls was reflective of the manner of play.  UTA forces teams to beat them at the line and makes the game last FOREVER because of it.  I think I'm getting tired of the hand-checking and body pushing that goes on in collegiate basketball these days.  It makes for a more of a "gladiator" approach to basketball rather than the finesse of good shooting and slashing penetration to the basket.

It was great to sit with Sterns78, his family and others from the ORU family to watch our guys take on a good, quality regional opponent.  Also enjoyed talking with Bobby Word at the game.  He is looking forward to getting started this summer and contributing to the team next season. 

I'm hopeful that we'll get to see a game in the Mabee Center during this Tournament so that all of us can have the chance to be together for one more ORU win.

So, we must be talking home game then! I noticed that Irvine had a whopping 368 in attendance for their first round home game. Can't afford to host many home games with no gate.

Fill the Mabee!

Jimmie Tramel â€@JimmieTramel 49m

Oral Roberts players will have a chance for senior day do-over. ORU will play second-round CIT home game vs. UC Irvine 7 p.m. Monday.

If we play the way we played at UTA, we can beat anyone in this tournament. Do it again, guys.