ORU at UTA -- CIT

ORUalum

The Mavericks (19-13) will play host to Oral Roberts (18-14) on Wednesday, March 20 at 7:30 p.m. at College Park Center.

LINK

let's all hope ORU is interested in continuing their season.

I suppose if we were dead set on playing in this thing (which, from everything Mike Carter and Scott Sutton were saying, we were), this is a pretty good match-up.

In other words, it's not Tulsa, Western Illinois, North Dakota State, or any other handful of teams I didn't want to have to see us play, or travel to.

But with UTA, we get a familiar name, with an easy trip to the MetroPlex, which can't hurt our recruiting in Texas, and gives alums in the Lone Star State another opportunity to see us in action.

That being said, I will be surprised if we can hang within 10 points of the Mavs:  they are playing their best basketball right now, advancing in upset fashion to the finals of the WAC tournament this past week.  Their coach, Scott Cross, is one of the hot young names in college basketball.  They are a stronger team than the SMU bunch that two years ago defeated a better ORU team than this season in the CIT first round.

We will definitely have our hands full Wednesday night - an ORU victory in Arlington would rival our early-season toppling of NCAA-qualifier Pacific as our best win of the year.

Well....hard to believe we have another game....this ORU bunch has caused TheEagleman much angst this season and seems bound to inflict even more pain on Wednesday night at Texas-Arlington.....true, the GoldenEagles defeated a pair of NCAA bound teams this year in Pacific and NW State and we very likely should have defeated Belmont and OU who are also dancing this week.....that aside, I sadly have to agree with Old Titan.....this squad is likely to fall by double digits at UTA.....these Eagles just no longer appear motivated.....maybe something will have woken them up since last Thursday night but it's not probable......I see this game as a 73-63 defeat and perhaps we can look forward to an improved team in 2013-14..... :nerd:

I suppose if we were dead set on playing in this thing (which, from everything Mike Carter and Scott Sutton were saying, we were), this is a pretty good match-up.

In other words, it's not Tulsa, Western Illinois, North Dakota State, or any other handful of teams I didn't want to have to see us play, or travel to.

Or maybe Mike and Scott knew that playing in DFW was a good possibility, and that's what the negotiations were about.  In any event, I agree it has a lot of benefits, including additional practice time and hopefully several more games against quality competition.

I'm going to try to head up Wednesday night. Anyone else going?

When was the last time the basketball program won any post season game, i.e. NCAA, NIT, CIT etc.? Has Scott ever won one of these games?

Notice the ticket pricing from the UTA web site:

TICKET INFORMATION:
Sections 101-103, 108-110 will be $10 per ticket for a reserved seat at the CPC. Sections 104-107 will be $6 for a reserved seat. Group tickets are also available for parties of 10 or more for $3 per ticket in sections 104-107.

Student tickets will be $3 per ticket for general admission seating in the student section. Students can either purchase in advance by logging into their www.utatickets.com account or for purchase at the CPC box office with a valid UTA student ID. Students who have purchased the All-Sports Pass will receive admission by entering the CPC at the Northwest entry.

For those interested, here is the full CIT schedule:

COLLEGE INSIDER.COM TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE:
TUESDAY, MARCH 19
Eastern Kentucky (24-9) @ Gardner Webb (21-12) 7:00 pm
Fairfield (19-15) @ Kent State (20-13) 7:00 pm
Savannah State (19-14) @ East Carolina (18-12) 7:00 pm
Rider (18-14) @ Hartford (17-13) 7:00 pm
Oakland (16-16) @ Youngstown State (17-15) 7:05 pm
Boston University (17-12) @ Loyola MD (21-11) 7:30 pm
Tennessee State (18-14) @ Evansville (18-14) 8:00 pm
North Dakota (16-16) @ Northern Iowa (18-14) 8:00 pm

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20

Elon (21-11) @ Canisius (18-13) 7:00 pm

Green Bay (18-15) @ Bradley (16-16) 8:00 pm

South Alabama (17-12) @ Tulane (19-14) 8:00 pm

Chicago State (11-21) @ Illinois-Chicago (17-15) 8:00 pm

Oral Roberts (18-14) @ UT Arlington (19-13) 8:30 pm

High Point (17-13) @ UC Irvine (20-15) 10:00 pm

Cal Poly (18-13) @ Weber State (26-6) 10:00 pm

Air Force (17-13) @ Hawaii (17-14) 12:00 am
* All times EST

Old Titan,

I agree with your view of the game on Wednesday and am very ambivalent about this game.  I'm currently wresting with the moral of delimna of trying to reschedule my son's Cub Scout den meeting (I'm the den leader) so I can drive over to Arlington to watch the game.  I'm not sure the inconvenience to the other families is worth it.  :?:  

Old Titan,

I agree with your view of the game on Wednesday and am very ambivalent about this game.  I'm currently wresting with the moral of delimna of trying to reschedule my son's Cub Scout den meeting (I'm the den leader) so I can drive over to Arlington to watch the game.  I'm not sure the inconvenience to the other families is worth it.  :?:  

Didn't you hear? It's Cub Scout appreciation night at UTA! Group tickets are available for parties of 10 or more for $3 per ticket in sections 104-107.

Seriously, I know it's been a disappointing season, but making a little run in the CIT could be a nice boost for the young guys heading into next year.  It all starts Wednesday in Arlington!

I think the last time we had a post season win was in the NCAA Tournament (1974) against Syracuse and Louisville.

Initially I thought we didn't have much of a chance against UTA; like OT said, they're playing their best basketball and if you look at the opponents we shared this year, they played them just as close as we did. 

I think I've had a change of heart. I want to believe because this team isn't senior heavy, there will be a lot of young guys that care about the momentum we take into next season (see: Billbury, Conley, Jackson). I also really hope we see something out of Roundtree.  

Didn't you hear? It's Cub Scout appreciation night at UTA! Group tickets are available for parties of 10 or more for $3 per ticket in sections 104-107.

Seriously, I know it's been a disappointing season, but making a little run in the CIT could be a nice boost for the young guys heading into next year.  It all starts Wednesday in Arlington!

That's a good one ORUTex.  My wife reminded me that the den meeting ends at 7:00 and that I could make a run over to Arlington if I was just dying to see the Golden Eagles play this year.  Google Maps tells me that i can get there in 38 minutes. Parking shouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure how I feel about watching a UTA game in an actual gym rather than the old Texas Hall.  (BTW, I saw The Cars at Texas Hall in 1978 and they were awesome).

Maybe I'll see where the ladies are playing and drive down to Waco for that game instead!

So is anyone else from the board going to be there?  That may give me some motivation to bust my hump to get over there after we've made our bird houses and earned the kickball belt loop.

That's a good one ORUTex.  My wife reminded me that the den meeting ends at 7:00 and that I could make a run over to Arlington if I was just dying to see the Golden Eagles play this year.  Google Maps tells me that i can get there in 38 minutes. Parking shouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure how I feel about watching a UTA game in an actual gym rather than the old Texas Hall.  (BTW, I saw The Cars at Texas Hall in 1978 and they were awesome).

Maybe I'll see where the ladies are playing and drive down to Waco for that game instead!

So is anyone else from the board going to be there?  That may give me some motivation to bust my hump to get over there after we've made our bird houses and earned the kickball belt loop.

Never forget this:  a college basketball team is a fickle mistress.  It will break your heart at times, and it won't ever love you back.

Spend quality time with your son.  You (and he) will be glad you did.

Bogus and I are going (with our sons!!).  There are good seats available.  We are hopefully in the ORU section - 101.  I hope to see you there.

Never forget this:  a college basketball team is a fickle mistress.  It will break your heart at times, and it won't ever love you back.

Spend quality time with your son.  You (and he) will be glad you did.

Poetic and profound.  How do you keep coming up with this stuff, OT?

TheEagleman loves his ORU GoldenEagles but not worth the time or money to watch this team in this game....as someone has pointed out......ORU has not won a post season game under Scott Sutton.....there is something to be said about that.....and not having won a post season game period since 1975 (last win was vs. Memphis in the NIT).......well, the odds tomorrow night just ain't good....... :nerd: