Catholic 7 could be catalyst of another chain reaction (USA Today)

SOLO_Gold

Regardless of what the "public" thinks, Gods laws are immutable and without change.  I tend to follow them, not the public.  This university should never change its core beliefs. 

Also, Sterns is right, let's keep this on athletics.  Finally, and no offense intended but if you give into compromise then you apparently went to the wrong university to begin with.  ORU was founded on Biblical principals and may we never stray from them no matter what the "public" thinks!

On another note, I am still curious to know if not having softball is an issue for inclusion in the MVC. A quick check of the MVC site shows that all 10 current schools have softball while only 7 schools have men's soccer. Perhaps adding another men's soccer team could be seen as a benefit vs. the negative of losing a women's softball team when Creighton leaves.

How awesome would this be if Mark Rutland pushed like this on his way out. Check the quote below.

The Rev. Timothy Lannon, Creighton's president, said when the Big East started losing schools well over a year ago, he began reaching out to Big East presidents to see if they might eventually be interested in adding Creighton. He had also been working to try to possibly join the Atlantic 10, too.

Of the way it worked out: "This is a match made in heaven," he said.

Rasmussen said the Big East provides an opportunity to achieve its goal of being a consistent Top 25 program in men's basketball.

He said it's now time to "walk the talk."

"We have a better opportunity in the Big East to recruit outstanding student-athletes than we did in the Valley," he said.

Can Creighton now shed the mid-major label?

"That's for you guys to decide," Rasmussen said, referring to the media. "We never considered ourselves a mid-major."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/21/commissioner-says-missouri-valley-conference-in-no-hurry-to-replace-big-east/#ixzz2OpsREBHl

I'm not advocating the university changes policies in the Honor Code, or moving away from its moral foundation, but I believe that this subject is explicitly described in the Honor Code 3 or 4 different ways, more than anything else. Is it not part of the code that outlaws all sexual activity? And if homosexuality requires its own mention, then why has ORU never addressed its existence and anything its doing to help its students? To reference the point made about rape and murder, at least authorities acknowledge that it exists within their boundaries. I think a level of transperancy and open discussion about issues (not just this one) would allow ORU to publicly reaffirm its principles. Its not about conforming to society, but avoiding looking like a cult which I think is the problem.

I did find this change in ORU policy which I was not aware of, and is a major step from the past:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110408_19_A1_OralRo141722

Ah! I hear what you're saying, ManiacAlum and I agree.

Great cite to the article ManiacAlum.  Thanks and I do agree with it.  I did not know they were doing that either.  I am glad they are.

No problem! I didn't mean to come across as a controversial jerk. But I do think it benefits ORU to treat such topics head-on and respectfully, especially in regard to its own students, while still maintaining the university's position. I think just that little change in tone, which would seem to be completely opposite from what its been in the past, goes a long way to how people perceive Oral Roberts University.

Anyway, the whole thing could be moot in regard to athletics. Who knows if that would even be a dealbreaker with conference affiliation.

One thing that should be pointed out is ORU's potential for growth with an MVC affiliation. People like to point out that ORU is 4th fiddle in Oklahoma-- which is true, but the Valley also takes a backseat, as would any potential members during football season. But, as has been pointed out on this board several times, the familiarity of the Valley members and the niche of a quality basketball conference would definitely boost game attendance. Also, there would be potential for many more eyes on MVC basketball with games on TV here. Not sure if that happens in Nashville and definitely not in Chicago.

• Upvote 1

Back on March 9th, Belmont's AD Mike Strickland had this to say about the Valley: 

“I don’t know anything about that situation,†Strickland said. “We are totally committed to the OVC and looking forward to a long tenure in this league.â€

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013303090057&nclick_check=1

Very informative article on the new challenges that LGBT issues present for Christian evangelical institutions. Great quotes from Christian higher Ed officials at Wheaton. http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/30/at-evangelical-colleges-a-shifting-attitude-toward-gay-students/

Geez I thought we moved past the political rhetoric. Let's start a new thread for this topic and get back to basketball here.

If for no other reason than what WSU just did to to the Ohio State Luckeyes (not a misprint), that is why we should do everything in our power to get into the MVC.  It is light-years ahead of the Southland.

Sorry guys. I thought it was relavent since it was brought up as a possible factor for entry into the MVC.

Back to Mo Valley Basketball...

The thing that really impresses me about WSU's run is that they didn't even win the MVC tournament this year! 😮 How's that for a "shocker". (Couldn't resist)

The Shockers were picked to finish 4th in the MVC in pre-season polls.

WSU was swept by Evansville, lost to Southern Illinois, and are one of the last four standing. WSU also didn't have a single player on the MVC Defensive Team!

Is WSUs run terrible for ORUs chance at MVC membership anytime soon?

Elgin already said they may just stay with nine. Why start thinking about splitting revenues with a possible short term non-contributer?

I don't think that WSU's run would hurt ORU's consideration. They are looking for another good basketball school to increase their conference RPI, rankings, and perception so that their chance for multiple bids in the future will increase. They also want to add another team for continued stability for the conference. Gene Stephenson, WSU's baseball coach has been an outspoken supporter of ORU joining the MVC for years because he knows about the quality of the baseball program and the university in general.