Catholic 7 could be catalyst of another chain reaction (USA Today)

SOLO_Gold

How about that 3 pt  buzzer beater by Valpo last night to beat Green Bay and move to the Horizon finals?....TheEagleman is no Valpo lover but had to admit that was a phenomenal shot and comeback win for the Crusaders..... :wasntme:

Think the MVC is gonna miss Creighton? The championship game is %80 Jays fans.

Not the first time I've heard this...

@DaveSittler: ORU dropping the ball on pursuing MVC membership. Denver & Belmont are reportedly top choices if Creighton bolts. Bold leader needed at ORU.

Dave Sittler likes to stir things up and normally does know much or anything about ORU athletics. Not sure if we are doing anything proactively about gaining entry into the MVC, but I can tell you we are open to the to the idea of joining. That is a different attitude than we (the athletic department) has had in the past.

I think Doug Elgin and fans in the MVC probably don't want to admit it but no one school is going to replace Creighton. Denver is a ski/hockey school with zero fan support and Belmont has to compete with Vandy and to some degree Lipscomb. The MVC needs to expand to 12 to stay at their current level.

Here is a blog/article from the Wichita Eagle with various sports reporters discussing who could replace Creighton in the MVC:

MVC Writers Speak

Wow, I'm kind of surprised by the number of beat writers that think ORU would be one of the top choices for the MVC. Like Old Titan, I guess I was thinking that ORU would be down the list of preferrable candidates for the MVC. I know the beat writers don't have any say in the running of the conference, but since they follow the conference extensively, it is interesting to see their perspective.

Lots of posters on the MVC blog seem to think that the conference will only add one team and that it will be a private school. Not sure why they think the conference needs to keep a particular ratio of public to private.

It's funny, from reading the MVC board, individual Valley team message boards, and articles such as that one- it seems like it would be pretty obvious to at least mention ORU as a possible future candidate for Valley membership. But anything that is ever released from the MVC offices only rarely mentions ORU as something of an outlier. Is it beneath them to even talk about ORU as a potential candidate?

I also agree that they need to quit pretending as if one school is going to replace Creighton. 12 teams of course means smaller revenue splits but that doesnt really matter when the major breadwinner is on the way out.

Its also funny to see the Dakota fans attempt to beg and sell themselves on the MVC board like its a beauty pageant. I'm fine with whatever we do as long as it never comes to that. Have a little pride.

The talks and negotiations involving a new team for the MVC are going on behind the scenes - will will probably never know the real story. I think that ORU has a small chance of being the school invited.

The MVC schools all play women's softball - and I am pretty certain that ORU will never have a softball team. If that is a requirement, we will not be a member.

Why would ORU not have a girl's softball team? I would love to be in the Valley and Tulsa is a great location for travel with Missouri St. and the Shockers for travel partners. Only makes good sense. Can we afford it? Maybe this conference would bring in more revenue than we are getting at the present. Solid Teams and good to great basketball. Baseball is also a plus. Our recruits would be at a higher level. Mabe we can't afford to pass it up if ask. Just my opinion.

For starters, Title IX requires that the women's softball stadium be comparable to what the men have (JL Johnson Stadium). Can't see that happening.

Why couldn't they play in JLJ?  I know infield dimensions are different, which could require some effort and transition time ...do the seasons overlap too much?

Baselines, pitcher's mound, outfield fence, etc. are all different. I think it is impossible to play on the same field - the changes are too dramatic.

Not sure we even have space (acreage) to put a women's field on campus.

Softball? That's weird, I didn't realize that. So what do the non-football MVC schools do? Offer less sports and/or have an odd number of sports?

It would be great to add softball. But ORU is not a large christian school like Liberty or Baylor. Staying D1 will be the issue for ORU not adding sports.

• Upvote 1

Softball could be a reason why Belmont seems to be one of the frontrunners for a replacement, but eh I don't know... 

Unless we're wrong and we are actively courting the possibility (which we SHOULD be doing), we'll probably have to be very lucky to get an invitation to the MVC.