Catholic 7 could be catalyst of another chain reaction (USA Today)

SOLO_Gold

"If Creighton leaves, the Valley would love to add St. Louis, but it appears the Billikens are likely headed to the Catholic 7. The replacement would likely come from a pool of Midwestern schools such as Valparaiso (Horizon), Oakland (Summit) or perhaps Oral Roberts (Southland)."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2013/02/28/catholic-7-missouri-valley-atlantic-10-chain-reaction/1955419/

That is really cool. I wonder if it would really cost any more $ to move from the Southland to the MVC and if so how much more annually. I definitely believe that attendance would improve with better opponents coming through the Mabee Center but it is difficult to know how much more $ that would mean for the athletic dept.

I suspect ORU will be the 1st school asked to join the MVC "if" Creighton leaves. That could be as soon as this summer, or in the summer of 2014. What is your exit fee to leave the Southland after 1 or 2 years? 

I love it and think it would be GREAT for us.

However...moving to the MVC will likely mean a greater financial commitment to athletics, or we will become the Washington Generals of the Valley. I hope, hope, hope, that the new president and the board (Mart) see what a GREAT opportunity this is and get on board!

• Upvote 1

It would be a great opportunity. But with the Athletic department having to "pay it's own way", does anyone know what expenses would be higher in the Missouri Valley? Travel shouldn't be any more expensive. Are there any other costs that would increase?

When WVU left the Big East for the Big XII they had to pay an exit fee of $5M, but received $10M from the Big XII for joining the conference so that more than paid for the move.  I realize that the MVC would not pay that type of money, but what type of revenue sharing does the MVC have?  I am not sure if the Southland has any revenue sharing but if it does I doubt if it is that great.  I assume the MVC would have greater revenue sharing, but I could be wrong.

The Catholic 7 are doing what they are because they came to the realization that they can do better by not placing any emphasis on football whatsoever.  If you notice the schools mentioned in the USA article as to whom the Catholic 7 are going after, none of those schools have/emphasize football either, but are basketball powerhouses year in and out.  Xavier, Dayton and Butler could care less about football.  My point being that ORU takes the same approach and for good reason.  Therefore, we need to look for a conference that places it emphasis on basketball and not football.  Certainly the MVC takes that approach and we are clearly in their geographic footprint.  If they come asking, we should jump immediately!  Sorry, but I see the Southland going nowhere fast.  It really has no national identity other than that of just another bush-league conference and I do not see that changing anytime in the near future. 

Our facilities are comparable with those in the MVC and I think we can compete in that conference.  It will however take a commitment on our behalf, but in the long haul I think the move would pay huge dividends down the road.  Just my $.02.

• Upvote 1

Join the MVC if invited?.....Let's do it!..... :clap:

It's pretty important that anyone who has a vested interest in seeing ORU athletics continue to grow and prosper become very vocal about the possibility of the Valley. After 17 years of conference stability, you better believe universities have already begun to put together a "wow them" package in order to appeal to the MVC (see: Dakota schools). While ORU may be a good fit for the Valley on multiple levels, you can never discount the importance of politics in situation like this. Phone calls, shaking hands, calling in favors, etc . . . should be top of mind for our athletic department. GEC members, former players, alumni––please be vocal if you want to see this happen.

The Valley may ultimately want us, but if we aren't proactive in showing them that we're ready for a step up, we could miss out.

Something else to think about is––how much longer is the NCAA going to be the governing body for D1 institutions? There are rumblings of a movement being created that would, as Jay Bilas likes to refer to, a league that would bind likeminded insitutions with familiar missions; i.e. let's get all the big schools together and get the little guys out.

If we want to ensure that our university continues to compete against the highest competition, we should think hard about our conference affiliation.

That's a bit of a tangent, but the point is, I'd LOVE to see us compete in the MVC and so would: students, alumni AND the casual fan. It may take us a few years to move towards the top of the league, but we will get there!

read on MVCfans (which by the way has been infested by Lakesbison) that a writer for Fox Sports tweeted:

Milwaukee, Denver, Loyola (Ill.), Wright St, N Dakota State and Nebraska-Omaha have all been kicked around. #MVCSports #MVCHoops

it does not sound like ORU is even on their radar...and like voice said Mr Green would have to get on board for a greater financial commitment to athletics if ORU wanted to pursue it.

There are a dozen teams that would receive invites to The Valley before ORU would.  Not going to happen.

• Upvote 1

does our athletic administration even want the Valley, even though so many on the board have pushed for it. 

i'd imagine the athletic dept. would love a chance to step up in conferences.  i think the bigger issue is if the current school administration (Mart Green) has the same vision/commitment to athletics that OR had.  with the school back to financial stability, he may look more at the bottom line, requiring athletics to carry it's own weight and not be as subsidized by the university. of course i have no inside knowledge; just guessing.

according to USA Today it may be a non-issue as ORU is a very distant fourth on the pecking order:

According to a person with direct knowledge of the league's thinking, Denver and Belmont would have significant support as candidates to replace Creighton, with Loyola (Ill.) also getting consideration and Oral Roberts looming as a longshot with less support. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the league has not authorized anyone to speak publicly about the matter, and Creighton hasn't officially given notice of a departure.

according to USA Today it may be a non-issue as ORU is a very distant fourth on the pecking order:

According to a person with direct knowledge of the league's thinking, Denver and Belmont would have significant support as candidates to replace Creighton, with Loyola (Ill.) also getting consideration and Oral Roberts looming as a longshot with less support. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the league has not authorized anyone to speak publicly about the matter, and Creighton hasn't officially given notice of a departure.

So you're saying there's a chance!

(Actually, I kind of like the Southland - lots of places I can drive to for away games and tournaments.)

I could see Belmont because they have had some success and are in a decent market (Nashville). But U of Denver is a total afterthought in Denver and hasn't really been successful. Also, travel to Denver is far away for everyone in the MVC except for Wichita State. Loyola fits the footprint and has some history to their program, but recently they haven't had much success. It would have helped our cause if we could have made the tourney last year.

Disappointing but it sounds like the MVC isn't likely to happen for us. I can understand the appeal of Belmont but Denver and Loyola Ill. are puzzling. 

I still believe ORU can put together a competitive package to attract the MVC; Tulsa being familiar with the conference should be a big +, and while Belmont has been hot of late, we have a rich history of basketball tradition. 

The MVC without Creighton isn't that great. Denver just turned them down. Wouldn't be surprised if Belmont did as well.

Dr. C stole my thoughts. MVC membership kind of loses it's luster without Creighton.

It also breaks the facade that the MVC is an isolated mid-major utopia that can just poach schools like Butler, St Louis and Dayton if need be. Why go there if the Big East might come calling.

Denver doesn't field half of the sports neededto join the Valley and Loyola doesn't strike me as a school interested in expanding itself in athletics. This whole process sounds like a charade.

I will admit that a 12 team Valley with ORU, Valpo and Belmont wouldn't totally suck though.