BracketBusters: The Final Showdown

Old Titan

Checked out the Weber board. Nice to see some mutual respect, along with the standard "Oral" jokes...

Weber would be a nice win.

I hope (and think) well have a nice crowd tomorrow night. 6,000-ish? Send Warren and DBH out with a rousing home W!

Sweet!....now all I have to do is try to discourage MrsEagleman from wanting to go out for a late Saturday night dinner..... :nerd:

Eagleman,  I've got three words for you (I'll try to keep this simple)  D - V - R. 

Yeah...but I prefer to watch it live....besides, if we are out to dinner and she knows there is an ORU game going on...she's on her I-phone giving me score updates.....there is something silly about watching a game on tape delay....I don't like it.... :eagles:

SFA travels to Long Beach State and will come home with an impressive Bracketbuster win.....68-60 over the 49ers.....so the Southland is 1-0 so far........on the other hand....our old pals from NDSU were humbled at Akron tonight by 68-50....the Summit League is 0-1..... :nerd:

My wife went by the Mabee Center Ticket Office yesterday to get some extra bracket buster tickets and she said that there were only single tickets left in Section G which is one of the end zone sections.  Sounds like ticket sales must be pretty good for the game with the $5 ticket price, with it being senior night, and with the quality opponent.

NW State gets pounded at Niagara 92-78.....the Demons don't fair well in today's Bracketbuster game against a team that TheEagleman saw lose at Rider a few weeks ago....the Purple Eagles are decent but not as good as our Golden Eagles.....Nicholls State, SE Louisiana, SHSU and Texas A&M-CC also lost their games earlier today....hopefully ORU can gain some respect back for the Southland tonight vs. Weber State...... :nerd:

The Southland is 0 for 6 in BracketBusters today with UCA down at half and Lamar and ORU yet to play.

I hate to blatantly reprint stuff right off the Tulsa World website, but this is just too good to miss for you folks that don't have online or print subscriptions:

BracketBusters gone. 

Replace with ChickenBusters:  make majors go on road vs. mid-majors

©Jimmie Tramel, Tulsa World

Published: 2/23/2013 6:42 PM
Last Modified: 2/23/2013 6:42 PM

Goodbye, BracketBusters. Hello, ChickenBusters.

Explanation: ESPN’s annual BracketBusters event is taking one last dribble today.

Launched in 2003, BracketBusters was created to provide a late-season opportunity for mid-major college basketball teams to pick up an NCAA Tournament resume-enhancing victory (three weeks before Selection Sunday) at the expense of another mid-major squad. Win or lose, many BracketBusters participants cherished national television exposure.

But ESPN confirmed in December that the 2013 BracketBusters would be the last.

“Given the evolving college landscape, we felt the event in its present form has run its course,†ESPN said in a statement. “We’ll continue to work with our conference partners to develop new, creative events to further grow the sport. Our goal is to maintain the BracketBusters brand in some fashion in the future.â€

Here’s an idea: Replace BracketBusters with ChickenBusters.

Instead of having mid-major squads take up swords against each other in late February, let’s give them a real chance to boost their NCAA chances. Let ESPN play matchmaker and arrange for teams from major conferences to play road games against mid-major teams on what once was called BracketBusters weekend.

What we got on the final BracketBusters weekend (and I’ll name-drop the Southland Conference’s top teams) was Stephen F. Austin at Long Beach State, Northwestern State at Niagara and Weber State at Oral Roberts.

Would you rather see that?

Or would you rather see Missouri at Northwestern State (first team to 110 points wins), Baylor at Stephen F. Austin and Notre Dame at Oral Roberts?

“You would never get anybody to agree to play it, but I would totally watch it,†RPI guru Jerry Palm of CBSSports.com said in a radio interview this week.

“Conceptually, it’s a great idea. But no major conference would sign off on it.â€

And that’s why the event should be called the ChickenBusters. The majority of teams from alleged power conferences are too chicken to play on a mid-major court.

Among major programs who played non-conference games against Southland Conference members this season: Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State, Kansas State, Virginia, Alabama, Purdue, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi, Texas Tech, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Michigan State, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Arizona, Indiana, Texas, Wisconsin, Florida and Iowa.

Guess how many of them played on a Southland court? Oklahoma. Period.

OU rallied from a 10-point deficit in the last 10 minutes to pull out a 63-62 victory over the Golden Eagles at the Mabee Center on Nov. 28. Give the Sooners credit for agreeing to play a road game against a program which, since 2002, has ambushed Arkansas, Georgetown, USC, Kansas, Seton Hall, Oklahoma State, Stanford, Missouri and Texas Tech.

During the 2005-06 season, Northwestern State snared road victories over Oklahoma State and Mississippi State and neutral-site wins over Oregon State and Iowa (in the NCAA Tournament). Think anybody from a major conference is interested in playing the Demons in Natchitoches?

If the ChickenBusters became reality, ORU and Northwestern State and other mid-majors would get an annual home game against top 100 RPI opponents from major conferences.

“You would have a hard time finding very many high major teams willing to do that,†ORU coach Scott Sutton said.

“That would be certainly result in better TV ratings for sure and more interest. It’s just like the NCAA Tournament. I always hated -- and still do -- when they put a Butler versus a Creighton, for example, in the first round. I think fans would want to see (mid-major vs. major). Butler may not be a great example, for what they have done. But Creighton versus OSU or OU or somebody like that. Certainly (those kind of match-ups) are good for the game.â€

Getting a game against a major opponent on a neutral court is one thing. Getting a game against a major opponent on your homecourt is a whole different level of tricky.

“Very few teams will even do 2-for-1s,†Sutton said. “We got Oklahoma and Missouri a few years ago to agree to a 2-for-1. Hardly anybody will do home-and-home.â€

So, let’s create the ChickenBusters (surely there’s a chicken fast food franchise that would jump on board as a title sponsor) and make mid-major vs. major games on “little guy†courts a reality.

Impossible? Money is driving college athletics these days, or haven’t you paid attention to conference realignment? Hey, ESPN. Throw enough money at the major programs. Make it happen. Give mid-major squads a chance to put a feather (chicken, of course) in their caps.

Section G was not nearly full. There were lots of open gold seats yet lots of people in blue seats. I'm not sure why the Mabee Center ticket office dispenses tickets the way they do. Surely most of the open gold seats aren't considered sold.

However that is a great article and well written from ORUs perspective.

Chickenbusters?.... :clap:  :clap:  :clap: ....TV ratings would be thru the roof......too bad it will never happen.... :fubar: