BracketBusters: The Final Showdown

Old Titan

Yes. We have the 'horses'. 14-8, 9-1 and the games you mentioned, that we 'should' have won.

Just have to finish the season strong. And, I think we can/will.

Other than not being on TV, I am happy with the Weber game. For those that know college hoops, Weber is a quality program. Likewise, their fans seem excited about this match-up and us coming out there next season.

Sweep this weekend (or even split) and we have the next 4 at home. I am very optimistic about the end of this season. Despite some early season heartbreaks, still have the chance for this season to be really special.

While I fully agree that we blew some winnable games in 2012, we need to take a step back and have some perspective.   Consider this...

If you had been told on November 10th that:

1) Top recruits Byford and Kaufman would both be out for the year with minimal pre-injury playing time,

2) The guy we all thought would be red-shirting (Conley) would be in the starting lineup,

3) The Sutton family would endure a devastating family tragedy, 

3) Tree wouldn't play a conference game until late January, and would be only be 75-80% healthy at that point.

4) In our first ten conference games, freshman would log over 35% of total playing time.

Wouldn't you have considered 14-8, 9-1, tied for first place in the conference and +/-100 RPI to be a fairly aggresive prediction???

• Upvote 1

Good points, 82.....TheEagleman agrees that we have suffered thru some adversity....and we still have a rather short bench....I will gladly take a split this weekend....We have a solid 8 players who contribute and hopefully ORU can rise to the occasion on Thursday night at NW State....at this point, it's the most important game of the year....We need top performances from DBH, Niles and Glover and solid PG play.....also a solid contribution from Roundtree...NW State is going to want to run us....let's hope we can keep up!.... :nerd:

By the way....Weber State has four winnable home games vs. mediocre conference foes before coming to Mabee Center on Feb. 23.....so they will likely come to Tulsa with a gaudy 19-5 record.....plus, they will have a week off to heal up before making the trip to T-Town.....ORU will have it's hands full in this game.... :nerd:

Personally, I'm somewhat relieved we are not on ESPN this year:  no amount of t-shirts over the seats would hide the fact there were only 2500 people there to watch it.

In fact, poor attendance (either last year or this) may have been a contributing factor in us not getting a TV game in the first place.

Interesting conclusion considering that:

- ORU's 2012 home Bracketbusters game was the third highest-attended game of the event, and

- ORU's 2012-13 average home attendance is higher than 10 of the 13 schools that received home Bracketbusters games in 2013

Indeed, a TV matchup would probably have increased the interest in and the attendance at the game. Nonetheless, it should be a fun, interesting, and challenging game.

Interesting conclusion considering that:

- ORU's 2012 home Bracketbusters game was the third highest-attended game of the event, and

- ORU's 2012-13 average home attendance is higher than 10 of the 13 schools that received home Bracketbusters games in 2013

Please don't get me started on ORU's announced attendance figures:  they are (and have for decades been) very suspect.

I have last year's BracketBuster game with Akron on DVR.  I've seen what Sections J-thru-M looked like on national TV:  they looked terrible. 

And this year, I have missed several home games and had to watch the replay on KGEB and I can tell you, those sections look even worse now (announced attendance figures to the contrary).

We had home games with TU and OU this year that drew pitiful crowds considering who the opponent was.

And I'm supposed to believe that a game with Weber State was going to see a big uptick in walk-up ticket sales over what we've (not) seen this year?  Please.... :fubar:

Based on what TheEagleman sees on the FCS TV broadcasts.....it's hard to believe that Mabee Center announced attendence figures are accurate....they are surely counting tickets sold to people who aren't showing up...most of the games appear to have less than 3000 in the seats..... :|

• 2 weeks later...

checked the tv listings last night and it looks like ORU will be broadcasting the Bracketbuster on FCS and GEB

checked the tv listings last night and it looks like ORU will be broadcasting the Bracketbuster on FCS and GEB

Can we do that?

I didn't think BracketBuster games could be broadcast on anything but the ESPN networks, since the whole tournament belongs to them.

But, I think this is the first time we've hosted but not been televised on one of the ESPN networks, so the issue has never come up before...

Can we do that?

I didn't think BracketBuster games could be broadcast on anything but the ESPN networks, since the whole tournament belongs to them.

But, I think this is the first time we've hosted but not been televised on one of the ESPN networks, so the issue has never come up before...

As I understand it, only the 13 games selected by ESPN are called BracketBusters, with rights owned by ESPN.  Everyone else is in the BracketBuster "pool", and once assigned a non-ESPN game by the committee, treats it similar to a regular season game.  Hence, the KGEB and DirecTV 363 opportunity.

It would be lovely to see this Weber State game on FCS....keep us posted if that's official..... :nerd:

Eagleman, its on my tv guide for FCS-Pacific, so I think it's official.

great news for us out of town fans.  i hope they make an effort to pack the mabee (i.e. paper the city with free tickets).

They are advertising a $5 ticket deal on local sports radio, so hopefully we get a nice crowd for senior night!

Sweet!....now all I have to do is try to discourage MrsEagleman from wanting to go out for a late Saturday night dinner..... :nerd:

Yep....Weber State at ORU is definitely on FCS Pacific at 8:30pm EST Saturday night.....should be a dandy game....the visitors are a very good team...this will be one of our toughest contests of the season....Weber is 19-5 and on a six game winning streak...... :sweat: