BracketBusters: The Final Showdown

Old Titan

Well, the Evansville game would be nice for me being from there. My brother said they were a pretty decent team.

Evansville isn't a bad matchup for ORU....certainly it's a possibility due to the easy travel....TheEagleman thinks it's more likely to play them than Iona..... :nerd:

If we can win 2 games this weekend and be 14-8, we should get a decent bracket buster matchup. I don't know if we will be determined to be TV worthy, but if we were to get a TV game, it could sure create some buzz that could get a nice crowd for the bracket busters matchup. Either way it may work to our favor to have had an extra week in order to get 2 more wins before the bracket buster selection occurred.

Andy Katz predicts the BracketBuster TV games...LINK

If Creighton at Saint Mary's is the marquee game of the event, let's speculate on the other 13 TV matchups that I could see occurring:

• Detroit at Wichita State: Shockers would get a decent RPI game, but not a game changer for the tourney.

• Ohio at Indiana State: This is probably the best the Sycamores could land.

• Montana at Utah State: This makes too much sense with the Big Sky's best going against the former Grizzlies coach in Stew Morrill.

• Stephen F. Austin at Murray State: The Racers have struggled, but SFA is one of the top teams nobody is talking about but probably will in mid-March.

• Denver at Belmont: Belmont has a sensational power rating at 17, and the Pioneers are familiar to Tennessee, having just left the Sun Belt for the WAC.

• South Dakota State at Niagara: This could be a sneaky good game with Nate Wolters leading the Jackrabbits to upstate New York, where the Purple Eagles have been a MAAC surprise.

• Pacific at Valparaiso: Two private schools who play fundamentals well and could easily be in the NCAAs representing the Big West and Horizon, respectively.

• North Dakota State at Long Beach State: This could match the winner of the Summit, and the top team in the Big West.

• Iona at Akron: Both of these schools are perennial contenders in the MAAC and MAC, and with RPIs under 100 make for a solid matchup.

• Illinois State at Davidson: Jackie Carmichael has been under the radar this season, and the Wildcats are a threat to win the Southern and earn a bid.

• Canisius at College of Charleston: The Golden Griffins have been a surprise so far in the MAAC, and Charleston is always good for a decent run in the SoCon.

• Weber State at Oral Roberts: Weber is trying to catch Montana in the Big Sky, while ORU is right in line with SFA in the Southland.

I'd be ok with Weber St. Good record against a soft schedule. Decent name opponent.

And, if we get a TV game this year, I'll be tickled. That said...with all the Eastern time zone home teams, look for ours to be a late tip-off, if televised.

Rather than a White out with White t-shirts, we could do Navy Blue Snuggies!

Weber State?.....yuck......nothing sexy about that.... :puke: ....but I agree with Voice....if it's on TV....TheEagleman can live with it..... :nerd: 

rpiforecast from today...

HOME

Belmont.........OVC---19
Wichita St......MVC---27
Indiana St......MVC---51
Akron...........MAC---52
St. Mary's......WCC---59
West Michigan...MAC---87
Valparaiso......Horz--93
Northern Iowa...MVC---95
Tennessee St....OVC---98
Oral Roberts....Slnd--104
Long Beach St...BW----110
Vermont.........AE----113
Davidson........SC----115
Niagara.........MAAC--117
Murray St.......OVC---116

AWAY
Creighton.......MVC---32
N Dakota St.....Sum---67
S Dakota St.....Sum---68
Detroit.........Horz--73
SFA.............Slnd--80
East Kentucky...OVC---81
Ohio............MAC---90
Iona............MAAC--97
Loyola MD.......MAAC--102
Denver..........WAC---108
Montana.........BSky--109
N-western St....Slnd--106
Canisius........MAAC--111
Pacific.........BW----114
Savannah St.....MEAC--123

One blog on Monday morning has us hosting Denver on ESPN3.

Andy Katz has ORU hosting Weber State in an unspecified ESPN broadcast, most likely ESPN3.

It looks like we didn't get a TV game.  Do we know our match-up yet?   Hopefully it's a "good team" that gives us a chance for a "good win"...

Weber State?....no national TV?.....I can understand SFA getting a marquee game on Friday night...and maybe NDSU and SDSU from the Summit getting national TV games....but Northwestern State on ESPN2 vs. Niagara?.....are you kidding me???    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!...... :puke:

Weber State?....no national TV?.....I can understand SFA getting a marquee game on Friday night...and maybe NDSU and SDSU from the Summit getting national TV games....but Northwestern State on ESPN2 vs. Niagara?.....are you kidding me???    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!...... :puke:

NWST game will be on ESPN3. But still, I understand your point. I think ORU/Weber is going to be a great game.

Weber St. is a good opponent at 15-5....TheEagleman has no beef with them.....what just hoping for a game on ESPN2 or ESPNU.....but I guess we will have to take what we can get....at least I can watch on the computer...it's funny....I remember when we played them up at Weber back in the 70's.....we got hosed by some questionable ref calls....Oral and Ken Trickey said we would never go up to their building again.....and ORU never did but both are now gone....so we gotta go back to Utah and play them in 2014......it's been about 40 yrs...... :nerd:

ORU was not gimme to get a TV game.  Even Katz's prediction had them as the last home team with a TV game.  If they finish off TU, OU, and Belmont they could have received a pretty high profile TV game.

It sounds like a good matchup.  Does anyone know if ORU can put the game on GEB or FCS?  I assume ESPN owns the rights, but they might revert to the home team if ESPN does not choose to air the game.

If ORU is feeling a bit "snubbed" by the selections of SFA and Northwestern State to get the high visibility TV games, they have a chance this week to "send a message" to the conference and anyone else who is paying attention by hanging a couple of losses on these two teams.   That would be a "statement" that would send a serious message... and put a bit of a black cloud over their bracketbuster games.   Now, that would be quite a weekend for the Golden Eagles!

Good point, EaglesFan!.....we could really show up NW St. and SFA with a couple of wins this weekend....but then again, we have played mediocre basketball most of the season...can we really step up our game at this point?....hope so but not sure......Alum made another excellent point above....we blew our national TV games by not finishing off TU and OU at home....those games to me are the disappointment of the 2012-13 season....Belmont was another game we could have won and they are Top 30 RPI......ORU still has a shot to do some damage this year but we really need to rise to a level not seen thus far....do we have the horses to do it?....not sure.....having Roundtree back healthy is an absolute requirement....he might be the key this weekend because Tree did not play against either opponent at Mabee Center last month......TheEagleman is nervous about both of these games...... :sweat: