OU

oruvoice

Over the past 10-20 years, we've beaten Tulsa (many times), Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Missouri, Wichita St., Missouri St., Nebraska, Georgetown, Stanford, and many, many more. But, we haven't beaten OU as far back as I can recall.

It sure would be nice to lay one on the Sooners.

A 'multitude' of missed opportunities? That may be a bit harsh. We are 3-3, with a road loss and two neutral court losses to two pretty good teams.

Did you/anyone think we'd be a lot better than 3-3 right now, with no experience at the most important position in college basketball (point guard)?

Not harsh at all. I didn't know what to expect going into the season, but I know what I've seen on the court and we've had our chances (more than I thought we would). Hoping for a good game on Wednesday!

ORU did defeat OU back when TheEagleman was a student...we won at Norman in 1975 or 1976.....I was at the game....as I recall we won an ugly low scoring game by 5 or 6 pts....maybe somebody who has the time can look it up....TheEagleman thinks we have a shot on Wednesday at Mabee Center but the boys have to bring the A game....can't shoot under 45% and we need big nights from Niles and Tree....and a few points off the bench...prediction will come tomorrow.....gotta think about this one a little more....the perfomances in those last two losses were concerning.... :sweat:

We won our first-ever two games over the Sooners - at Norman in Jan 1976 (64-58) and the return game at Mabee in Jan 1977 (68-50), and haven't won a match-up since. After 35 years plus, we are DUE! |(

ORU really needs to win this one to get some respect in the state of Oklahoma.....and a victory over a Big 12 school would earn a little notice throughout the nation...... :nerd:

When was the last time OU came to the Mabee? For some reason I thought this game was being played downtown at the BOK?

The Sooners handled UTEP pretty easily, and seem to be a little better, but I'm still baffled as to how we lost to them twice so badly.

Interesting hoops night in the state: ORU vs. OU in Tulsa. While in OKC, James Harden brings his beard back to play against the Thunder for the first time with the Rockets, and will be led by interim coach Kelvin Sampson.

The Sooners came to Mabee a couple of times in the 1990's/early 2000's. Without looking at it, I'd say it's been about 12 years.

Who did we lose to twice? I may need to get some rest...

I watched OU a little bit this weekend from Orlando - they look REALLy talented and REALLY athletic, plus they are well-coached.

It would take a Herculean effort to beat them Wednesday - but, it's do-able, if OU doesn't take us seriously and we hit on all cylinders.

Home court advantage is/can be bigger in college basketball, than any other sport.

Get the crowd going early, hit a few shots, and get the confidence level up. Can't afford a slow start.

Hoping the students show up in big numbers and are crazy from the opening tip...

The Sooners came to Mabee a couple of times in the 1990's/early 2000's. Without looking at it, I'd say it's been about 12 years. Who did we lose to twice? I may need to get some rest...

According to Statsheet:

2011: OU 73, ORU 59

2010: OU 73, ORU 60

It also shows OU has not come to Mabee Center since 1995. Didn't know it had been quite that long. There have been 6 other meetings since, 5 in Norman and 1 All-College in OKC.

Also, here are the point totals for a 3-game span between '87-'92:

1992: OU 130, ORU 89

1988: OU 152, ORU 122

1987: OU 144, ORU 93

Um, wow.

Also, here are the point totals for a 3-game span between '87-'92:

1992: OU 130, ORU 89

1988: OU 152, ORU 122

1987: OU 144, ORU 93

Two words (actually five). Billy Tubbs and Ken Trickey.

TheEagleman doesn't have a good feeling about this one....OU is improved....we have been up and down.....we need big nights from all of our starters but especially Tree and Niles...DBH has to play some good D inside....I am hoping our guys have had a couple days to rest their legs from last week on the west coast....it was a tough road trip.....let's hope we have a nice home crowd but there will certainly be a lot of Sooner fans in attendence....I thought we would beat OU the past two years in Norman and we got waxed both times.....I think we can hang close for a while but just can't see a win.....OU 76 ORU 66.... :sweat:

I think I've witnessed all of the meetings between ORU and OU since the mid-70's (except the terrible blow-outs in the Trickey years when we were marginally D-1), and the common thread has always been that OU is much more physical than us.

If we had some Marcus Lewis or Caleb Green physicality on this team, I would give us a "puncher's chance", but it's hard to imagine such a scenario with our current roster, which is not only short, but also slight of build.

One of those last 2 games in Norman (I think the more recent one), we shot 1-16 from behind the arc and I think the make came late when it was already over. We were ahead before they came out in a zone and just smothered us.

I remember the 1995 game at Mabee. If we breathed near Ryan Minor, a foul was called, and OU's offense consisted of 3 guys standing in line to set moving picks for Minor. I remember being very disgusted with the officials, OU and basketball in general after watching that game.