2012-2013 Schedule - FINAL

Old Titan

Agree with OT, we do need the $$$ badly enough to go play UTEP, Arizona, Memphis, et al. It makes a difference for the program, PLUS it makes it sweeter when you steal a win or two while taking their check.

The other side of the coin is that it is becoming harder and harder to get a power conference team to play a home-and-home or 2-for-1 series with a mid-major - especially for ORU. I think that most teams in our region realize that the Mabee Center is a tough venue to play - most are reluctant to take the chance of coming away with a loss with a potentially 100+ RPI team. Power conference teams on either coast will seldom travel to Tulsa to play ORU.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• oruvoice

• ORUalum

I hear ya, Bogus....understand that we need the cash to help fund an athletic program that doesn't have football to fall back on.....but it seems like we should also play some decent home games for the students, alumni and other ORU fans to enjoy...TheEagleman knows that the BCS conference schools won't come into Mabee Center but hard to believe we can't get home and home series with other midwestern Mid-majors like ourselves.....I have no problem with us going into difficult places like Memphis, Arizona, Louisville, Wake Forest, Virginia, etc as we have done in recent years.....not only good for the money but also the exposure and yes...once in a while we steal a win like we did at Xavier and Stanford......but gosh....play a few games at Mabee, please?.......sorry....I will quit whining.....Go Blue!,,,,,, :nerd:

It is a situation where the large programs have no incentive to visit the Mabee Center where they could be beaten along with losing out on the ticket proceeds if they stay at home. The mid-majors also run the risk of losing to ORU and thus negatively impacting their chances at being selected (or seeding) in the NCAA Tournament. Most of the teams we would want to play are also close geographically and compete with us for recruits. The low majors can make money going to larger schools that pay them to play. The coaches have a difficult time with this scheduling issue.

It is remarkable that Missouri and Oklahoma have/will visit the Mabee Center. Both games are the result of a 2-for-1 deal where ORU played at the their gyms twice and they came to Tulsa in return. I am surpised (but pleased) that both schools agreed to this arranagement.

...but it seems like we should also play some decent home games for the students, alumni and other ORU fans to enjoy...TheEagleman knows that the BCS conference schools won't come into Mabee Center but hard to believe we can't get home and home series with other midwestern Mid-majors like ourselves.....

2009-10 - home games against Missouri, New Mexico and Tulsa

2010-11 - home games against Indiana State, UALR and Pacific

2011-12 - home games against Austin Peay, SMU, FIU, Missouri State, Texas Tech and Akron

2012-13 - home games against Oklahoma and Tulsa

I think that's much better than you give it credit for. There aren't many schools from conferences in the bottom-10 of the RPI that get home games with three Big 12 teams in a four-year stretch.

I agree we schedule pretty well in general anyway. But would a mid-major game really bring in more fans anyway? Seems like the best attendance is for Power Conference Schools or a highly publicized game such as a bracketbuster. Other big games vs good but not well known competition in Nov/Dec against football season in the state seem to fall on deaf ears anyway.

Playing the road games helps recruiting as well.

A lot of those games listed above were NIT or Bracketbuster games....not regularly scheduled contracted games.....yeah, TheEagleman knows we are up against it for scheduling....I guess we should be thankful that schools like OU, Mizzou, New Mexico and Texas Tech throw us a bone once in a while.....oh well....Bring on St. Gregory's!!!..... :wasntme:

Good find! We will play the Cavaliers on Wednesday, November 14th, following the trip to El Paso to play UTEP.

The game is listed on the St. Gregory's website as an exhibition for them. Can't tell if it's the same case for us, or if it's ORU's first non D-1 game in several seasons that will actually count on our record (but not in ORU's RPI).

St. Gregory's 2012-2013 Basketball Schedule

Hopefully they are close to nailing down all the dates so they can release the schedule. This year seems later than normal.

You are correct, sir: last year's schedule was released on July 12th. This is about as late as I can remember, but I'm noticing a lot of other schools haven't released their schedules, either (OU, OSU, Arkansas - Danny Manning at TU says he still needs "a couple of games"!). Don't think anyone in the Southland has published one yet - are the league schools all waiting on us, or is ORU waiting on them?

If TU needs another game, play them twice this year.

But, do it where we play them at Mabee early (not during a school break) and play at TU on the late December date that is currently scheduled for Mabee.

If TU needs another game, play them twice this year.

But, do it where we play them at Mabee early (not during a school break) and play at TU on the late December date that is currently scheduled for Mabee.

You read my mind.

This late in the year, they're not about to find a better game than playing ORU a second time at the Reynolds Center.

Wonder if ol' Ross Parmley or Danny Manning would have the humility to make that phone call to Mike Carter or Scott Sutton?

Probably not: I'm betting they end up spending a couple-of-hundred-K to bring in the likes of Savannah State or SWAC teams.

Especially because the ORU - TU game didn't happen last year due to TU's lack of willingness to play ORU at a time that would work with ORU's schedule, it would make a lot of sense to play a home and away this year. Of course that is why it probably won't happen. Also, in Danny Manning's first year, after losing some significant contributors from last year's team, I suspect TU wouldn't want to take it on the chin twice to ORU in their new coach's first year.

...last year's schedule was released on July 12th. This is about as late as I can remember, but I'm noticing a lot of other schools haven't released their schedules, either...

More proof that little on this forum goes unseen (or uncorrected) by the powers that be: I received the following e-mail today from an Athletic Department staffer:

Men's Basketball Schedule Release Dates

2011-12: August 31, 2011

2010-11: July 12, 2010

2009-10: July 9, 2009

2008-09: August 25, 2008

2007-08: August 1, 2007

So, I had last year's release date wrong (I mistakenly used the 2010 date instead).

And, wasn't last year's delay primarily (solely?) due to the TU scheduling fiasco?

It's worth noting that in past years, we at least knew the conference schedule by now, since the Summit League released that info in the spring (at the latest). Still can't recall (since joining a league) knowing so little about the schedule so late in the summer....

...UNTIL NOW!! The ORU women's schedule was released today, and since ALL of those games are doubleheaders with the guys, we can now extrapolate the men's conference dates and times accordingly (see updated schedule on Page 1 of this thread).

P.S. One nice by-product of Southland geography: all Central time zone, all the time.

OT,

i completely forgot the schedule was released that late last year.

i'm counting 26 regular season games excluding the exempt tournament games. i think the NCAA allows 27. are we missing a game somewhere or have the rules changed?

TheEagleman is all for playing TU twice this year....those will be two nice blow out wins for ORU... :wasntme: .......and sounds like the St. Gregory game will be a regular contest for us if played on November 14....... :nerd:

Over the last 20 years, it was like pulling teeth to get any Texas schools to play us, and now that we are joining the Southland Conference, we have 2 non-conference games against Texas teams (Texas State and UTEP). That seems slightly ironic. They are both road games as well. I wonder if we have return games at the Mabee Center coming next year with those 2 opponents.