2012-2013 Schedule - FINAL

Old Titan

Announced August 14th, 2012:

Thurs, Nov. 1............MISSOURI SOUTHERN (exhibition)

Mon, Nov. 5..............OKLAHOMA WESLEYAN (exhibition)

Fri, Nov. 9.................@ Texas-El Paso ("guarantee" game)

Wed, Nov. 14............ST. GREGORY'S (non-D1 game - counts on record, but not figured into RPI or Sagarin ratings)

Mon, Nov. 19............@ Pacific (return game for 2011 ESPN BracketBusters)

Thurs, Nov. 22..........vs. Loyola-Marymount (Great Alaska Shootout)

Fri, Nov. 23...............vs. Charlotte OR Texas State (Great Alaska Shootout)

Sat, Nov. 24..............vs. Belmont OR Northeastern OR Cal-Riverside OR Alaska-Anchorage (Great Alaska Shootout)

Wed, Nov. 2..............OKLAHOMA (last game of 2-for-1 deal)

Sat, Dec. 1................@ Missouri State (3rd of 4-game home-and-home deal)

Wed, Dec. 5 .............@ Texas State (home-and-home series?)

Tue, Dec. 18..............@ Arizona ("guarantee" game)

Sat, Dec. 22..............TULSA (first game of 6-year home-and-home deal)

Fri, Dec. 28...............@ Memphis ("guarantee" game)

Thurs, Jan. 3.............@ Southeastern Louisiana*

Sat, Jan. 5.................@ Nicholls State*

Thurs, Jan. 10...........NORTHWESTERN STATE (LA.)*

Sat, Jan. 12...............STEPHEN F. AUSTIN*

Thurs, Jan. 17...........@ Texas A&M - Corpus Christi*

Sat, Jan. 19...............@ Sam Houston State*

Thurs, Jan 24.............LAMAR*

Sat, Jan. 26................MCNEESE STATE*

Thurs, Jan. 31............NICHOLLS STATE*

Sat, Feb 2..................SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA*

Thurs, Feb. 7.............@ Northwestern State (La.)*

Sat, Feb. 9.................@ Stephen F. Austin*

Thurs, Feb. 14 ...........SAM HOUSTON STATE*

Sat, Feb. 16................TEXAS A&M - CORPUS CHRISTI*

Tues, Feb. 21..............CENTRAL ARKANSAS*

Sat, Feb. 25................ESPN BRACKETBUSTERS (home game, opponent TBA)

Thurs, Feb. 28............@ McNeese State*

Sat, Mar. 2..................@ Lamar*

Sat, Mar. 9..................@ Central Arkansas*

March 12 - 16.............Southland Conference Tournament (Katy, TX)

*Conference doubleheaders

ORU home game times: 5:00 p.m. tip-off for women, 7:30 p.m. for men

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• oruvoice

• ORUalum

Excited about the new conference season next year...lots of thing to look forward to.

- Love the new double header format. We attend both men & women's games & we live far enough away it's not worth it to drive home between games. This will be much more convenient!

- Love that the tournament is in Katy. We have family in Houston (and used to live in Katy), so will be convenient & cheap to attend!

- Excited to see all the new teams & watch new rivalries develop.

All in all, will be ready for the new season to start!

I'm looking forward to it already - will be great to see how ORU is received in the new conference. Have a feeling we will get everyone's best shot after the year we had. Would imagine we will develop immediate rivalries with Central Arkansas (geographic rival), Lamar (2012 SC tournament finalist), McNeese State (2012 SC tournament finalist), and Stephen F. Austin (just because tmh8286 likes them so much).

New women's/men's doubleheader will change up the pre-game meals for the Golden Eagle Club. We'll need to re-think that one. OT, what did we do in the "Remember the Titans" day of women/men doubleheaders?

New women's/men's doubleheader will change up the pre-game meals for the Golden Eagle Club. We'll need to re-think that one. OT, what did we do in the "Remember the Titans" day of women/men doubleheaders?

If I recall correctly (help me out if I'm wrong, folks), the girls would tip-off at 4:45 or 5:00, Mezzanine would open doors for dinner around 6:00 for folks just coming to the men's game, then there would be a pretty good surge of folks on The Mezz once the girls game ended (around 6:30 to 6:45). Announcements and a quick program started between 6:45-7:00 (depending on when the girls game ended), and was wrapped up by 7:15 in time for folks to get to their seats before the prayer and national anthem (which used to be performed right before the 7:30 tip-off with the teams on the floor). It was a little bit hectic, but it worked fine.

Remember, this will only impact 9 conference home games in January and February - doesn't affect men's or women's non-conference home games in November or December. I think it could be marketed as a true positive: bring the family for at least the end of the girls' games on Thursdays (and for the entire girls' game on Saturday), grab dinner on the Mezz during the interval, then see the men play. Great night of doubleheader basketball!

is the sland tourney on consecutive days or do they have a break? is the tourney always in katy tx or r there bids?

TheEagleman always loved the womens/men doubleheaders....we usually got an early dinner at Saga.....ladies game tipped off at 5pm and our gang usually got there late first half.....got our primo seats down front in the end zone and it was all good.....never understood why they stopped the DHs completely.....i would have had at least a few on Saturdays.....makes sense......just sayin'..... :nerd:

is the sland tourney on consecutive days or do they have a break? is the tourney always in katy tx or r there bids?

This year, they played on consecutive days until the semi's on Thursday, then took Friday off before a mid-afternoon final on Saturday.

Don't know about next year, but I'm sure (like all mid-majors) it will be dictated by (and back-dated from) whenever ESPN, or Fox Sports, or whoever, decides to broadcast the championship game.

Regarding Doubleheaders ... In the old-days, I think I recall that the women's games had "assigned seats". With the new General Admission policy for women's games ... I wonder if that will change? Sit anywhere you want until the gals complete their game and then move to your assigned seat for the men's game? With all the "game activities" being the same for the women and men (band, cheerleaders, promotions, etc.), it will be a "full day" for those managing and participating in the operations of the two games. Frankly, there is good and bad to each way of conducting these games. Whatever they do will become the "routine" and we'll all just get use to it. They'll be selling more hot-dogs between games than they have in the recent past! [They can always do a Pre-game ice cream social before the women's games for those that really want the "chalk talk" and comraderie of the pre-game dinner events.]

Regarding Doubleheaders ... In the old-days, I think I recall that the women's games had "assigned seats". With the new General Admission policy for women's games ... I wonder if that will change? Sit anywhere you want until the gals complete their game and then move to your assigned seat for the men's game? With all the "game activities" being the same for the women and men (band, cheerleaders, promotions, etc.), it will be a "full day" for those managing and participating in the operations of the two games. Frankly, there is good and bad to each way of conducting these games. Whatever they do will become the "routine" and we'll all just get use to it. They'll be selling more hot-dogs between games than they have in the recent past! [They can always do a Pre-game ice cream social before the women's games for those that really want the "chalk talk" and comraderie of the pre-game dinner events.]

I think there's a fair chance the arena will be cleared between games - people at the women's game who plan to stay for both will have to go back down to the lobby and re-enter with a men's ticket. So, the seating differences for the two events will not matter.

Clearing the arena will mean extra duties for the "Yellow Coat" ushers - but I'm sure 99% of the folks who typically attend girls' games will get used to the new routine pretty quickly.

what about a pre-season Canadian tour? not sure how often a team can have them, but i think i'ts been a few years since ORU did one. with a lot of new pieces next year it could help with their development as a team.

Better yet....how about a pre-season Mexican tour.....we probably wouldn't have to face a center over 5'10"...... :razz:

Thanks for posting what schedule we know so far. However, with the switch to the Southland we need to beef-up the OOC schedule as much as possible because unless things change dramatically, we will not get a lot of RPI help with our conference schedule. Therefore, we must put on a fairly impressive OOC schedule and do well because in late Feb/early March 2013 we will need that to help elevate our RPI. This year the S-land rep in the Big Dance had to play a play-in game and if you check back the last couple of years, it did not get any better for the S-land rep in the NCAA. That is not to say we go out and schedule Duke, Kentucky and UConn or however for the remaining OOC schedule, just do not fill the remaining openings with a basic schedule of the Sisters of the Blind. Even if we can get lesser Big-6 teams or better mid-majors it would be great. Any chance of getting X or the Zags to visit Mabee? Better yet, call Ohio and get a home and away over a two year period. In short, be creative in scheduling. Also, a more marquee team may help to fill Mabee.

GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

We are due for a trip to the Philadelphia area.....ORU and Drexel both complain about other teams being afraid to play them......how about a home and home series between the Golden Eagles and Dragons?..... :!:

This year, they played on consecutive days until the semi's on Thursday, then took Friday off before a mid-afternoon final on Saturday.

Don't know about next year, but I'm sure (like all mid-majors) it will be dictated by (and back-dated from) whenever ESPN, or Fox Sports, or whoever, decides to broadcast the championship game.

• 4 weeks later...