Bubble Watch

Old Titan

Folks, I have to admit I'm surprised that we are still getting so much run on the national scene as a legitimate bubble team, even after falling to Western Illinois in the semi's in Sioux Falls.

I figure that if guys who make their living talking about this kind of stuff feel we deserve to be there, then the least we can do is bang the drum ourselves.

With that in mind, here's just a few outcomes that would help our cause in the coming days:

1. Louisville to beat bubble boy Seton Hall in the Big East tournament tonight.

2. Villanova to upset bubble boy South Florida in the Big East tournament tonight.

3. Minnesota to beat bubble boy Northwestern in the Big Ten tournament Thursday afternoon.

4. Georgia Tech to beat bubble boy Miami in the ACC tournament Thursday.

5. Boston College to upset bubble boy North Carolina State in the ACC tournament Thursday afternoon.

6. Iowa State to beat bubble boy Texas in the Big XII tournament Thursday night.

7. Georgia to upset bubble boy Mississippi State in the SEC tournament Thursday night.

There: now, is that asking too much?

You guys need Washington out of the Pac12 to win their conference tournament along with Nevada in the WAC. I think those 2 will get in regardless, another team from either of those 2 conferences crashing the party will also hurt your chances. Good luck, really wanting 2 from the Summit in.....would be great for the conference.

Not sure how much additional money it would mean for the conference, but it sure wouldn't hurt. The money is the reason why a school like ORU will have a hard time cracking the NCAA Tournament as an at-large participant. It would also help the Summit League for next year in terms of prestige and appearance.

Another couple of scenarios that would help the cause:

• We need TCU to upset bubble boy Colorado State in the quarters of the Mountain West tournament Thursday afternoon.

• We need Colorado to beat bubble boy Oregon in the quarters of the Pac-12 tournament late Thursday night.

It would also be very helpful if Akron wins the MAC tournament, to put their RPI in the top 50 (and give us another top 50 win). It would have been nice if UTSA could have won at least one game in the Southland tourney to keep them safely in the top 200 and avoid a dreaded sub-200 loss, but it looks like they're still sitting around 190 after the loss to McNeese yesterday, so that's good. I still think it's the longest of shots we get in, but at least there's a chance.

Credit Rob Walden, ORU Athletics Assistant Director of Media Relations, with this find: website that picked last year's field with 94% accuracy says ORU is No. 64 out of 68 teams "most likely in the field", with a 35.06% chance:

Stat Junkie: Predicting The NCAA March Madness Field

Before we get too excited: he places a lot of his faith in RPI, and in looking at his 6% worth of misses last year, he picked teams such as Cleveland State and St. Mary's that didn't make the actual field, as the committee instead picked the likes of Clemson, Georgia and USC.

Selection committee full of Power-6 representatives picking mostly Power-6 teams as at-larges: "I'm shocked, totally shocked..."

If there's any chance at all, we have to have as many of those Power 6 teams as possible lose early (obviously), and hope it becomes a conversation about comparing ORU vs Drexel for their spot in the first four.

NC State blowing out Boston College - that doesn't help.

LSU rocks Arkansas 70-54 in SEC play - either could be a potential NIT opponent.

Southern Miss squeaks by East Carolina in C-USA quarters - they have a strong RPI and are probably in.

We're running out of slots - but I guess we just need one, right?