ORU vs. Akron (ESPN Bracketbuster game)

ORUTerry

Great watching ORU on national tv. Did the announcer ever correct himself for saying DBH was from Arkansas? (AR instead of AK)

I noticed that, too: surprised to learn that Damen is from "Heidelburg, Arkansas", which must be a quiet, little German hamlet somewhere in the Ozarks.

Other observations about the broadcast:

• The color guy was enthusiastic, and seemed to have done his homework, but he got REALLY excited about all the wrong things - kind of like listening to Regis Philbin, or the new guy on the Oxy-Clean commercials. He was from Ohio, and calls a lot of MAC games, so he was WAY too cozy with the Zips, and I couldn't help but laugh out loud when he compared Zeke Marshall to Patrick Ewing, just as Marshall wildly richocheted a hook shoot off the backboard. Yes, Zeke really DID look like Patrick on that shot! During Akron's run near the end of the first half, he breathlessly said that the Euro who traveled on every lay-up was "the fastest man on the floor!!". Really?? I'm not even sure he was the fastest man over 6'-5" on the floor.

• The play-by-play guy from Syracuse was smooth, but sounded like he spent all of 15 minutes going over the game notes on the plane before emptying the drink cart. Aside from placing Damen's birthplace 3000 miles from home, he continued to refer to Michael as "Cry-on", insisted on calling us "the Eagles", and said Kansas City is "just 3 hours away from Tulsa". What the heck does HE drive?

• Neither guy realized Pearson's foul at the 2:25 mark in the second half with ORU leading by just four was Rod's FIFTH - a huge juncture in the game. They seemed surprised that Domo was handling the ball the last two minutes against the Zips desperation press - they never did realize WHY.

• (I'm going to try to say this one in a politically-correct way - please read between the lines). If you were playing any sort of "game" at home during the telecast, where it was "your turn" to "do something" each time they showed a cutaway shot of Eddie Sutton or Sean Sutton, you would have taken "your turn" a LOT. I mean, a LOT!

• Great shots of the campus during the lead-ins/outs to commercials. We may have a goofy-looking campus, friends, but it's OUR goofy-looking campus, and there's none other like it in the world.

• How do Brad Thomas and Rob Sellers manage to get on TV so much? Is that the REAL reason they sit behind the ORU bench?

• Once again, Section "L" is an embarrassment on national TV. Sorry, I know I'm wasting my time complaining about it, but I just can't stand it. Of all the places to have empty seats, we do it right behind the scorer's table for all the world to see.

• OZONE and the cheerleaders sounded great on TV, so did the band - the game microphones in Mabee Center are really good.

• Scott's lucky tie looked very nice on TV.

• The ESPN cameras cut away from the final seconds on the floor to show the coaches and player shaking hands, therefore sparing Akron fans at home from the further embarrassment of their team's classless half-court trap of Domo while he was dribbling out the clock, and the subsequent 3-pointer at the buzzer that made the final score closer than it should have been. Really bush-league move on Akron's part.

Yeah....a half court trap in the final 10 seconds of a game where you are down 9 and ORU is just dribbling out the clock...a very bush league thing for Akron to do....looked like the Zips were doing some trash talking on the floor all day....saw a lot of smiles on the faces of ORU players at various points...ORU kept its cool.....Akron also appeared to be trying to physically overwhelm our guys....lots of pushing out there.....I wonder what Voice or someone near the action has to say about that....all I know that the final score on the board read...ORU 67....Akron 58....oops, I mean 61..... :wasntme:

LOL - laughing at "Bitter Beer Face" TU fan.

Trust me, loser, however many it was, it was double the number who showed up for Rice Saturday night at the Reynolds Center.

Actually, no it wasn't.

Since I was at both games, I'd say ORU had about 1500-2000more than TU vs Rice. No need to degrade either teams attendance. The ORU game was a great atmosphere, and hands down the better experience between the

two. But both crowds were respectable.

This game was a lot like the last 6 games. Good defense. Poor 3 point shooting (18%). Decent overall shooting (46%). Decent FT shooting (72%) and shot more FTs than Akron. We overcame our poor 3-point shooting and a few too many turnovers and won this game because we out-rebounded Akron by 15 boards. Several of those were offensive rebounds down the stretch that led to put-back buckets while we were making our run. Plain and simple, we earned this win with great rebounding and solid defense.

We dropped from a 40 RPI to a 45 RPI as the rest of the games today played out. After starting strong with ORU and SDSU winning early and then IUPUI won and USD and Oakland were ahead in their games in the 2nd half. But Oakland and USD ended up losing along with most of the other Summit League teams. The Summit League ended up going 4-6 with only ORU, IUPUI and the Dakotas winning. Then OU lost, Gonzaga lost, Texas Tech lost, etc.

Great win. Let's finish it out against SUU and go into the Summit League tournament with a lot of momentum and several records in tow. This team has a lot to be proud of and a great opportunity to gain an excellent NCAA seed if they can finish the job in Sioux Falls.

I had a post written out about the final thirty seconds of the game and the behavior of a couple of the Akron players, but I decided to let it go. I agree, though, the final thirty seconds were not the Zips were not the best showing.

Actually, no it wasn't.

Since I was at both games, I'd say ORU had about 1500-2000more than TU vs Rice. No need to degrade either teams attendance. The ORU game was a great atmosphere, and hands down the better experience between the

two. But both crowds were respectable.

Wow, Bas - I watched the TU highlights on all three local channels, and there's no way they had a crowd within 1500 of what was in the Mabee Center today.

I saw that TU announced their crowd as something like 5,500 - I think they may be counting each 80-year-old as two 40-year-olds.

i would say ORU had a legit 6000, while TU had MAYBE 4000 on hand for "Legends Night", and that's being charitable.

After a BAD experience on the SDSU board a couple weeks ago I didn't want to check out the Akron board after the game - but finally couldn't resist late last night, and I have to say, it was a very level-headed bunch over there. Not a lot of insults toward ORU, fully recognizing strengths and weaknesses of both teams, questioning officiating but not overly so (although they blew a gasket over the third foul on Marshall, which, I have to admit, on the TV broadcast looked like a clean block). I thought it was really a pretty classy board.

But the interesting thing to me was they thought those guys were MAC refs!! Maybe they are - but two of the three are Summit League regulars, and maybe all three. Must be quite a bit of crossover between the officials between the two conferences. They think Bo Boroski is one of the worst officials in D I, and I have to agree. I always dread a game where Bo is officiating. He calls fouls that no one else sees, and misses those that nearly decapitate a player. Then he runs down the court shaking his head or brushing his fingertips as the crowd boos, which is almost more insulting and infuriating than the missed call itself.

nice mention from tulsa's own, dari nowkhah, on ESPNU's SportscenterU. no highlights from the game, but they had it listed on the bracketbuster scoreboard. he managed to work in Scott Sutton, Mabee Center, and an Expect a Miracle reference. they also had a home win streak graphic after the Kentucky highlights that showed ORU behind Kentucky and Harvard for third best in the country.

Random thoughts:

1. Akron is an athletic and physical ball club. They played tough defense and (I thought) tried to intimidate us. The Zips seemed a bit surprised/frustrated at our defensive intensity. They were chippy most of the game and our guys seemed to handle it well. The Zips seemed a bit undisiplined on offense. They did not try to establish Marshall down low or concentrate on Abreu (#11) - the point guard, who appeared to be their best player.

2. We were careless with the ball and they took advantage - pick pocketing us several times for run outs. We need to value the basketball ( and possessions) more.

3. Our defense and rebounding were important factors in the win - we did a great job on the glass. But I thought the biggest factor was on the bench. Sutton did a good job of pacing the game and substituting players. And switching to a zone was the game changer. They looked like they had never seen a zone defense before. I guess a lot of teams don't practice zone offense before they play ORU because Sutton normally plays man-to-man exclusively. Akron substituted way too much.

4. DBH played with passion and intensity. I think Marshall (Akron's 7-footer) lit a fire under him. Marshall only had 4 points and 1(!!) rebound.

5. We shot poorly from the three point arc again. Their defense had something to do with, but we also missed some open looks. We did better driving to the basket, shooting mid-range jumpers and dishing the ball in the paint. If we make our three pointers, we win by 6 to 9 points more.

Im gonna chime in on the end of the game, watching from my couch I heard their coach say no foul, and watch the guy just hound him the entire way up the court. They did the same thing in Morgantown, while they were down 20 points, really rubbed me the wrong way. Also, that all they do is chirp ALL game, Zeke was in the Turk's ear all game while Turk scored 15, and KJ scored 20...

Onto the game, O-Zone you guys did an amazing job, love that you guys still do different things for each free throw too, i saw the grenades in the backround, always a favorite. I felt as if the crowd looked great on TV. I remember the commentator from the Duke WVU game in 07-08... Doesnt add anything to the game, really amusing to listen to him make great points about little things.

As for ORU basketball coming down the stretch, an at large birth will NOT happen, too many teams with better wins, because thats what it comes down to.. Not how many wins you have, but WHO YOU BEAT. The worst thing was not being able to steal one at Gonzaga, WVU, and Xavier being without everyone. With that being said, you need teams like OU, WVU, Zaga, X and SDSU to just keep winning, their wins help the ORU RPI, and can maybe bump it up. Either way ORU will be an NIT home team in the first round or a 12-13 seed in the tournament. And to be honest with you, as a 12 or 13 seed, if you look at the teams around the 4-6 seeds right now... ALL ARE EXTREMELY BEATABLE

Random thoughts:

1. Akron is an athletic and physical ball club. They played tough defense and (I thought) tried to intimidate us. The Zips seemed a bit surprised/frustrated at our defensive intensity. They were chippy most of the game and our guys seemed to handle it well. The Zips seemed a bit undisiplined on offense. They did not try to establish Marshall down low or concentrate on Abreu (#11) - the point guard, who appeared to be their best player.

2. We were careless with the ball and they took advantage - pick pocketing us several times for run outs. We need to value the basketball ( and possessions) more.

3. Our defense and rebounding were important factors in the win - we did a great job on the glass. But I thought the biggest factor was on the bench. Sutton did a good job of pacing the game and substituting players. And switching to a zone was the game changer. They looked like they had never seen a zone defense before. I guess a lot of teams don't practice zone offense before they play ORU because Sutton normally plays man-to-man exclusively. Akron substituted way too much. 4. DBH played with passion and intensity. I think Marshall (Akron's 7-footer) lit a fire under him. Marshall only had

4 points and 1(!!) rebound. 5. We shot poorly from the three point arc again. Their defense had something to do with, but we also missed some open looks. We did better driving to the basket, shooting mid-range jumpers and dishing the ball in the paint. If we make our three pointers, we win by 6 to 9 points more.

Terry, with regard to point #3, I found this curious comment on their message board: "Crash the boards. For all that ORU does well scoring the ball, they are not good at all on the glass." ORU has out-rebounded teams 963 to 839 this season, for a rebounding margin of 4.1 per game. That actually puts us in the top 60 or so teams in the country in that catagory (although some argue against the use of this stat). Surely their team scouting report was more accurate than this message board observation - otherwise they MAY have been surprised by our rebounding ability.

ORU does need to value possession of the basketball more...too many careless turnovers which will kill us when we play are playing big close games in the Summit or NCAA tournament....at one point in the first half, Niles had four careless turnovers within a 5 minute span....TheEagleman was ready to throw something at the TV....Craion can also be very careless with the basketball....let's not try to make that miraculous pass....just good safe heady basketball....no reason for double digit turnovers....we don't have the firepower to overcome that against a really good team.....every possession is just too valuable.....a four point swing...... :!:

Other observations about the broadcast:

• How do Brad Thomas and Rob Sellers manage to get on TV so much? Is that the REAL reason they sit behind the ORU bench?

It's all those hot chicks that I see sitting around them that I thnk the TV director really wants to see!! :clap::D:razz:

• Upvote 1

Quick thoughts:

• Akron = TU. Lots of talent, but questionable coaching and bizarre substitution patterns lead to NO offensive flow. A couple of their guys need to go back to basketball camp and learn how to shoot - they were some serious chuckers.

• Why can't Damen play like that every game? He actually looked involved.

• Once again, the switch to a zone late in a game befuddles an opponent at the worst possible time for them. GREAT coaching move.

• Steven Roundtree has really elevated his offensive rebounding in the past few weeks - crashing the boards like a madman. And his defense has improved also, draws a charge almost every game now.

• We're like an NBA team the way we close out games: something like 23-0 when we have the lead with 3 minutes to go.

Bonus Thoughts: just watched a replay of the SDSU game with Buffalo, who BTW was REALLY weak. Basically, they were IUPUI, without the moxie. Never tried to get the ball inside at all against the smallish Jacks. Really impressed by the SDSU student section chanting "BULL$#!T" on national TV on what seemed like EVERY foul against them, and the tired "LEFT, RIGHT" chant for the Buffalo guys who fouled out (and there were a handful). Memo to the Jackrabbit faithful: act like you've been there before people, for crying out loud - it's embarrassing. And for some reason, SDSU allowed a Buffalo player to drive baseline late in the game and dunk on them!! I guess that whole "nobody-dunks-on-us-in-our-house" rule only applies when they can get an easy cheapshot on a defenseless player in the air.

I watched the SDSU - Buffalo game this morning and noticed the same thing. Buffalo hardly ever tried to go to the post - especially in the first half. They looked confused on offense, as though they had never seen a zone defense. And chanting BS on national TV didn't put the best face on SDSU.

Quick thoughts:

• Akron = TU. Lots of talent, but questionable coaching and bizarre substitution patterns lead to NO offensive flow. A couple of their guys need to go back to basketball camp and learn how to shoot - they were some serious chuckers.

• Why can't Damen play like that every game? He actually looked involved.

• Once again, the switch to a zone late in a game befuddles an opponent at the worst possible time for them. GREAT coaching move.

• Steven Roundtree has really elevated his offensive rebounding in the past few weeks - crashing the boards like a madman. And his defense has improved also, draws a charge almost every game now.

• We're like an NBA team the way we close out games: something like 23-0 when we have the lead with 3 minutes to go.

Bonus Thoughts: just watched a replay of the SDSU game with Buffalo, who BTW was REALLY weak. Basically, they were IUPUI, without the moxie. Never tried to get the ball inside at all against the smallish Jacks. Really impressed by the SDSU student section chanting "BULL$#!T" on national TV on what seemed like EVERY foul against them, and the tired "LEFT, RIGHT" chant for the Buffalo guys who fouled out (and there were a handful). Memo to the Jackrabbit faithful: act like you've been there before people, for crying out loud - it's embarrassing. And for some reason, SDSU allowed a Buffalo player to drive baseline late in the game and dunk on them!! I guess that whole "nobody-dunks-on-us-in-our-house" rule only applies when they can get an easy cheapshot on a defenseless player in the air.

Sorry for the troll... but Buffalo did beat Akron by double digits this year.

And ORU beat South Dakota by 33 points and led the Summit League wire-to-wire. Nice try though.

• Upvote 1