ORU vs. Akron (ESPN Bracketbuster game)

ORUTerry

Akron should present ORU with a very good test on Saturday afternoon. Both teams are leading their conferences and have similar RPI rankings. Here are some Akron statistics to ponder:

Possessions per 40 minutes: 69

FG%: 46.*% (they hold opponents to 40.5%)

3-pt FG%: 38.0% (they hold opponents to 28.9%)

Points per game: 73.4

Rebound %: 51.2% (they outrebound opponents by an average of 3.0)

Assists per game: 13.7

Assists to Turnovers: 0.97

The Zips appear to play tough defense and hit the boards for rebounds. We need to match their intensity on defense and make shots. They have about seven guys that average 7+ points a game, so we can't focus on just one or two guys. They do have a 7-footer that can block/alter shots and dominate the paint if we don't block out.

I was just on the Akron board at zipsnation.org. It appears that their fans have a healthy respect for our team. They also appear to have a very healthy respect for DoMo, but then any sane person would. I see this game as an opportunity for not only our team but the entire University to basically have two (2) hours of free national exposure. I truly hope we pack Mabee and the team comes through with a "W". Due to living over 1000 miles away I will not be at the game. However, not only will I be watching the game on the Duece, but a lot of people who have never seen our team play will be watching as well. I know for a fact that a lot of people in our congregation will be watching and most if not all have never really watched us. Yep, I did a lot of advertising last Sunday and Wednesday night. GO EAGLES!

Huge game tomorrow because of the national TV exposure.....ORU needs to get out quickly and turn on the crowd....we can't let Akron dictate how this game is played....we need to run and gun and not let their 7 ft center stymie us inside...it's time for a big game from DBH....our center needs to be a man tomorrow and not play like a girl as he done in many games this year....and that's no offense to Kevi Luper and our ladies team....it's just that TheEagleman expects more physical play from our 6'9" 245 pound center....tired of seeing box scores with 6 pts and 6 rebounds from DBH?.....I am....I hope he reads this tonight....I am looking for 15 pts and 10 boards from Bell-Holter vs. Akron...we need him to play huge against their big man... :muscle: .....take the ball to the hole on him.....DoMo is our guy but he can't do it EVERY game.....Niles came up big at IPFW....Craion also....but Michael does need to cut down on the turnovers.....we need a solid game from all 6 of our major guys....and a little from Jake and Mikey won't hurt either....it's about time we beat these Zips who are 4-0 lifetime vs. ORU....they beat us up there last year....time for some revenge....and we need to wake up in the first half and not fall behind....that could be fatal vs. a good team like Akron.....TheEagleman thinks that we put it all together in front of a big crowd of 8000+ on ESPN2 and win going away......ORU 85....Akron 71......LET'S DO IT!!!....GO BLUE!... :eagles:

They are deep and seem to have multiple players who can score. Their big guy (Marshall) can be a game changer. Could be a game changer if we can get him in foul trouble.

Hope our players can control their emotions with the large crowd, ESPN game and Senior Day.

Great points, Terry. This may be a game where mental toughness is the key component. Hopefully the crowd will provide some home court advantage for our team and seniors.

The crowd could be a big factor. Like Eagleman said, we need DBH to come out with a big effort.

Al8n_8GCQAIKbDg.jpg

nice picture! dbh def need to have a big game their center is a shot blocking machine gonna b fun to see oru in prime time go golden eagles!

Thanks Doc for the pic. Wish I could be there live, but we are getting set-up in the "man-cave" with everything we need for the game. Excitement growing and a nice crowd is showing up in my house to watch. GO EAGLES!

I was over at zipsnation and it seems that Bo Boroski is their biggest fear. Maybe that means the quality of the officiationg will be fairly distributed. :sweat:

Calls seemed to go ORU's way 1st half. Hopefully, it stays that way.

#44 better check his attitude, or he'll be done early.

Great way for DoMo to bresk the 2000 pt mark with that last second of the half shot.

Exciting first half, looking forward to the second. Wish the crowd had been better, though.