ORU vs. Akron (ESPN Bracketbuster game)

ORUTerry

I still think TU has the most talent in that league as i just don't think Memphis is that good. The attendance thing bothers me in that if ORU and TU play that is an 8,000 to 10,000 type of crowd.

Did ORU push everyone down to the lower seating at the game on Sat.? Always thought about halfway through the first half everyone should move down if there is seating.

I still think TU has the most talent in that league as i just don't think Memphis is that good. The attendance thing bothers me in that if ORU and TU play that is an 8,000 to 10,000 type of crowd.

Did ORU push everyone down to the lower seating at the game on Sat.? Always thought about halfway through the first half everyone should move down if there is seating.

oruvoice MIGHT have said something about that quite early - maybe 30-45 min before the game started. I THOUGHT I heard him say that, but I wasn't listening closely at that point, and I'm not sure. I don't remembe him saying that later on. He'll probably be around today and be able to answer that with more certainty.

Sorry. OT.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just offering a perspective from someone that was sitting in both arenas for both games.

TV does nothing to approximate the actual crowd. I was suprised at how many there were in the RC for that game and there were more there than the last three games.

However, I do agree that there less than 4-4500. I just didn't figure there were more than 5500 at the ORU game.

But, I'll admit, I am no where near the expert on ORU attendance guessing as I am the TU attendance guessing.

My main point was - Both crowds were respectable. even though not a good as we'd like for either of them to be.

The key thing for ORU is they came across great on National TV.

** BTW ** TU is pulling an ORU and going for a "White Out" for their Nationally televised game with Memphis.

Hey, no need to apologize to ME, Bas - you're a class act, and I'm just a crusty old fart who flies off the handle at even the slightest provocation. But, I thought you KNEW that already - everybody else does! :nerd:

The funny thing is, it really WAS my job as a "Sports Information" (before it was renamed "Media Relations") student intern, along with ORUBlue82, to estimate the crowd for each game for the official stats. There were a few tricks we would use to come up with the figures, and back in the day I would have estimated Saturday afternoon's crowd at around 6,000 actual bodies.

But, anyway - better get this topic back on track, before tmh blows his whistle: "ORU VS. AKRON!!" :!:

At the risk of repeating myself, I am utterly amazed at the amount of people who stay up in the blue section when there are open gold seats with a much better view.

It's all good OT. I'm kinds "crusty" myself at times.

I just want to re-iterate something to all you guys. I know you know it, - but ORU puts on a heck of a game atmosphere. It is such a pleasure to come in and sit at a game where the Students are as involved in the game.

I know some of my TU mates would argue that it is easier to do when you have fewer marquee sports, but I don't buy that. I believe they want to be involved because they realize how vital they are to the teams performance.

Then there is the "in-game" promotions, and the "live band".

ORU administrrators get it. They allow the Band the freedom to play something that the students enjoy playing. It is current.

This adds to the atmosphere as it is fresh and never seems scripted. I can't remember hearing any "Canned" music.

Great, Great atmosphere.

Thanks for making my Saturday so enjoyable.

Kendall Johnson and the Golden Eagle Band really are a tight group - and I love a couple of the songs they always play (Police "Synchronicity II", U2's version of the "Mission Impossible" theme, Soundgarden's "Spoonman").

oruvoice MIGHT have said something about that quite early - maybe 30-45 min before the game started. I THOUGHT I heard him say that, but I wasn't listening closely at that point, and I'm not sure. I don't remembe him saying that later on. He'll probably be around today and be able to answer that with more certainty.

That is something we have discussed before...

I am of the feeling that, rather than a PA announcement, the ushers (or staffers) go up to the upper deck and simply make people aware that they can come down into unused seats. Doing an actual PA on it, might ruffle the feathers of those who paid extra for the lower level seats. But, that's just my opinion.

Ultimately, it isn't up to me to just make announcements that I want to make. If an athletic department official intructs me to make such an announcement, I would. Similar to announcing birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Not my call. I know I've angered folks in the past by saying 'no' to such requests, but I don't have free reign on the mic, despite what some may think.

And to answer the question about saturday, no I did not make that announcement.

That is something we have discussed before...

I am of the feeling that, rather than a PA announcement, the ushers (or staffers) go up to the upper deck and simply make people aware that they can come down into unused seats. Doing an actual PA on it, might ruffle the feathers of those who paid extra for the lower level seats. But, that's just my opinion.

Ultimately, it isn't up to me to just make announcements that I want to make. If an athletic department official intructs me to make such an announcement, I would. Similar to announcing birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Not my call. I know I've angered folks in the past by saying 'no' to such requests, but I don't have free reign on the mic, despite what some may think.

And to answer the question about saturday, no I did not make that announcement.

Makes perfect sense, voice, and I understand completely. And I agree with your concern. In fact, a friend of mine voiced his objection to the ticket give-aways that they sometimes have for big games. Personally, I wouldn't care if they opened the doors to anyone that wanted to come, ticket or no ticket, if we could see people in the seats. But my buddy feels otherwise, and I'm sure you'd have some folks angry if you invited the "unwashed" down from the upper level to sit in the gold seats. BTW, I think they usually find sponsors for ticket give-aways, don't they? Somebody ALWAYS pays . . . :nerd:

I did not mean to imply that Voice should make that announcement - I know that everything is scripted. I was hoping that the athletic department would encourage it. The idea of having ushers or student workers invite people to populate the gold seats is great. Of course, I would never wait to be invited....

Yeah, it boggles the mind that there were 'some' season ticket holders that were upset about the big crowds late in the season. I was told of one story that a 'regular' pulled into the Mabee Center parking lot for one of the big games, only to turn around and drive back home. He then voiced his 'concerns' saying that those people aren't real ORU fans anyway.

Sad.

Kendall Johnson and the Golden Eagle Band really are a tight group - and I love a couple of the songs they always play (Police "Synchronicity II", U2's version of the "Mission Impossible" theme, Soundgarden's "Spoonman").

Those songs would never hit the sound waves at a TU game. I think the TU Administration would fall out dead if the band ever veered from their "Approved playlist." And yes there is such a thing and it has been the same for 10+ years. My Son played in the TU band for 4 years, and that's how I know how things are run there.

As for KJ & the GEB, that Cowbell dude is a riot. And the students obviously love him as the imitate him whenever he is playing the bell. Fun to watch.

Good observation, OKC.....but TheEagleman prefers Van Halen..... :nerd:

Back in the day, Otis was a big fan of "Shout It Out Load." I was in shock to find the ORU pep band playing a Kiss song.

I watched some of the Akron game last night and noticed that we committed several turnovers on steals around the perimeter that led to easy Akron buckets. I think a little focus on taking care of the ball on the perimeter will help. Also, if we hadn't given up several easy buckets we could have extended the lead and not had such a nail biter of a game.