ORU vs. Akron (ESPN Bracketbuster game)

ORUTerry

And ORU beat South Dakota by 33 points and led the Summit League wire-to-wire. Nice try though.

Agreed, I have nothing but respect for ORU as they are having a tremendous year and consider their win over Akron impressive. However, calling Buffalo a weak team seems about as small time as the cheers from the SDSU student section.

That's fair. I didn't see the SDSU/Buffalo game, so I can't comment on the quality of their team.

ORU vs. AKRON! Something I thought of this this AM that I thought I'd mention - I don't know that that much has been said about the absolute marketing genius that was behind Saturday's game - SO MANY THINGS went into it that made it exceptionally enjoyable, thanks to our buddy Mike Minyard. I really don't think he's gotten the kudos on the board that he deserved for the job he did settings things up on Saturday.

I was reminded this AM of something that I don't think those watching on TV were able to see - while we were waiting in line to enter the arena one of the sponsors was going down the line giving away blinking bracelets. They were a little plastic affair with a couple led lights on top - when the lights went down for the video and player intros, the entire arena flashed in rainbow-colored lights! The effect was amazing. That one little thing added tremendously in the atmospherere leading up to the game - incredible idea.

Thanks to Mike and all the others that had a hand in making a great day of college basketball. Collegebasketballl fans in Tulsa really missed out if they weren't there!

• Upvote 1

ORU vs. AKRON! Something I thought of this AM that I thought I'd mention - I don't know that that much has been said about the absolute marketing genius that was behind Saturday's game - SO MANY THINGS went into it that made it exceptionally enjoyable, thanks to our buddy Mike Minyard. I really don't think he's gotten the kudos on the board that he deserved for the job he did settings things up on Saturday.

I was reminded this AM of something that I don't think those watching on TV were able to see - while we were waiting in line to enter the arena one of the sponsors was going down the line giving away blinking bracelets. They were a little plastic affair with a couple led lights on top - when the lights went down for the video and player intros, the entire arena flashed in rainbow-colored lights! The effect was amazing. That one little thing added tremendously in the atmospherere leading up to the game - incredible idea.

Thanks to Mike and all the others that had a hand in making a great day of college basketball. Collegebasketballl fans in Tulsa really missed out if they weren't there!

+1 all you have to do is go read the TU message board about their halftime show to appreciate what a great job the marketing people in ORU athletics do. from ticket sales to in game promotions, ORU has first class people doing great things.

i read Mike Brown's article about having sponsored bobbleheads of current players being a minor NCAA infraction. i guess using current players will be a thing of the past. i'm thinking a Tim Gill or Slim WIlkerson bobblehead next year would be pretty cool.

yes, yes they do ;)

i guess the league brought it to ORU's attention and they will have to self report for some of the promotions in the past. here's the story for those that missed it. i don't think it was posted on the message board. LINK

+1 all you have to do is go read the TU message board about their halftime show to appreciate what a great job the marketing people in ORU athletics do. from ticket sales to in game promotions, ORU has first class people doing great things.

i read Mike Brown's article about having sponsored bobbleheads of current players being a minor NCAA infraction. i guess using current players will be a thing of the past. i'm thinking a Tim Gill or Slim WIlkerson bobblehead next year would be pretty cool.

another +1 for the marketing staff

ORUalum, I believe ORU can still give out bobble heads of current players but the bobbleheads have to be presented by the school without reference of a sponsor.

I've been over on the Akron board several times since timid visit Saturday night, and I must say I think it is one of the most respectful boards I've ever visited. Since the ORU thread was started I don't believe that there has been a single derogatory remark directed at ORU - either before or after the game (may have been one Oral joke). Even when OT went over there and, among other things, posted about the cheap shot of the final three by Akron, and called them out a little bit about that (although the tone of the rest of his post was very positive) one person actually APOLOGIZED for the way the game ended!

It APPEARS to be an amazing congenial group over there. To any Zips that may stray on to our board at this point, thanks for being so classy. You're a great bunch.

another +1 for the marketing staff

ORUalum, I believe ORU can still give out bobble heads of current players but the bobbleheads have to be presented by the school without reference of a sponsor.

you are right tmh. i was thinking the athletic dept will not want to shell out 15k every year for the promotion when they can use a past player and have a sponsor pay for it. i wanna see a chad wilkerson bobblehead with knee high socks. :D

• Upvote 1

you are right tmh. i was thinking the athletic dept will not want to shell out 15k every year for the promotion when they can use a past player and have a sponsor pay for it. i wanna see a chad wilkerson bobblehead with knee high socks. :D

OK ORUalum, I'm with you now.

I am in total agreement with the above comments that commend Mike Minyard on the great job that he does marketing the basketball program.

I think that it was great to honor Domo, Ken, and Caleb with bobbleheads during their playing careers. When there are other players of their stature that lend their abilities to the program, I think it is fitting to continue our bobblehead tradition on Senior Night. I have full confidence that Mike Carter can find a way to keep us out of hot water with the NCAA, provide sponsor recognition, and allow our bobblehead tradition to continue.

Does the NCAA have to ruin everything?

Now, Terry....we have to protect student-athletes from the unscrupulous athletic departments and boosters around America. <tongue-firmly-in-cheek>

I think that it was great to honor Domo, Ken, and Caleb with bobbleheads during their playing careers. When there are other players of their stature that lend their abilities to the program, I think it is fitting to continue our bobblehead tradition on Senior Night. I have full confidence that Mike Carter can find a way to keep us out of hot water with the NCAA, provide sponsor recognition, and allow our bobblehead tradition to continue.

Sounds like a job for the Golden Eagle Club to fundraise and promote (which doesn't require sponsorship recognition on the statue). Are we capable of doing it?

Sounds like a job for the Golden Eagle Club to fundraise and promote (which doesn't require sponsorship recognition on the statue). Are we capable of doing it?

Absolutely!

+1000 regarding Mike Minyard....TheEagleman had the pleasure of meeting him at the UTSA game at OSU in November....he's a class act.....time to for MM to get a raise?...... :?:

Sorry. OT.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just offering a perspective from someone that was sitting in both arenas for both games.

TV does nothing to approximate the actual crowd. I was suprised at how many there were in the RC for that game and there were more there than the last three games.

However, I do agree that there less than 4-4500. I just didn't figure there were more than 5500 at the ORU game.

But, I'll admit, I am no where near the expert on ORU attendance guessing as I am the TU attendance guessing.

My main point was - Both crowds were respectable. even though not a good as we'd like for either of them to be.

The key thing for ORU is they came across great on National TV.

** BTW ** TU is pulling an ORU and going for a "White Out" for their Nationally televised game with Memphis.