ORU vs. South Dakota State

ORUTerry

BTW, I too will miss ORU in the Summit. You've been the big dog since you joined, and getting to be up to ORU's level will be missed by the whole league.

ORU is still the #1 team in the Summit, and will be a tough out for any team come tourney time, whether as a #1 seed or #2 seed.

Getting back to my original point, I just find it very curious that:

1. This is not a one-time deal; it's happened before, and over several seasons.

2. It doesn't happen at places like Oakland and IUPUI, despite the fact those games are always hotly-contested, physical, and meaningful.

3. SDSU and NDSU seem to be able to control their emotions on the road; it's only at their respective homes that these "heat of the moment" incidents seem to occur.

I think it says something that schools like ORU, Oakland, and IUPUI, who have for years played big-time schedules against big-time teams, don't have these kind of flare-ups.

It has nothing to do with "playing physical", it has everything to do with being acclimated to the nuances of college basketball at the highest level.

Here's hoping that some day the Dakota schools and their fans will learn what that means.

Please watch the play. I've seen dozens if not hundreds of plays similar to it in games between major schools, it wasn't a flare up or misunderstanding of the game of basketball. It was just a hard nosed play by both players, one of them happened to careen into the basket support. That's all.

I would be upset if something like that happened to Wolters, so I get that.

So much more chatter on the board today. :-D

Yeah, and I'm flagrantly fouling every one of them.

"NOT IN OUR HOUSE!!" :*

So much more chatter on the board today. :-D

After such a tough loss last night I thought the board would be quiet today. I, for one, went to bed feeling depressed, with a knot in my stomach, wondering if we have the stuff to win on Saturday. Now, THAT has become a HUGE game. Earlier in the week I was thinking about, but don't think I ever got around to, posting about what a good job this team has done on the road this season - especially in comparison with some past teams. So I feel sure that we have the ability - I just hope we can get it together.

Yeah, and I'm flagrantly fouling every one of them.

"NOT IN OUR HOUSE!!" :*

Hey, wait a minute.....you said that would never happen with ORU! :talk:

After such a tough loss last night I thought the board would be quiet today. I, for one, went to bed feeling depressed, with a knot in my stomach, wondering if we have the stuff to win on Saturday. Now, THAT has become a HUGE game. Earlier in the week I was thinking about, but don't think I ever got around to, posting about what a good job this team has done on the road this season - especially in comparison with some past teams. So I feel sure that we have the ability - I just hope we can get it together.

They seemed to come out really flat. After you give up a big lead early,it's tough to come back on the road.

Yeah, and I'm flagrantly fouling every one of them. "NOT IN OUR HOUSE!!" :*

lol

Well I figured their fans would start popping up if they won. Even though it's been quite a while, SDSU fans are still kings of "teh internets".

I think ORU has always split this roadtrip, always losing the first and winning the second. Could be wrong, but that seems the way it always happens.

Bad news is we pretty much threw all of the house money we were playing with out the window last night. Good news is, if we can win Sat. it doesn't matter.

I missed the game last night and consequently my 'analysis' is strictly from reviewing the numbers/stats. We outshot the Jacks from a percentage basis (50.0% versus 48.1%) but they took 54 shots compared to our 46. They also made three more 3-pointers (3 vs. 6) than we did. In additon, they took (and made) 6 more free throws then we did. Rebounding was essentially a draw - 28 to 27, though they did pull down 11 offensive rebounds. It appears that the game was decided by number of possessions and free throws. We committed 15 turnovers to their 7, they shot/made more free throws as well as three more 3-pointers. I know the stats don't show the full picture, but it seems we substantialy lost the game by not having discipline with the ball - and committing too many fouls.

Didn't help that DBH and Craion played a combined 50 minutes and scored 6 points and pulled down 4 rebounds. It also appears that Morrison needed to take more shots; he scored 12 points on 8 shots. We needed more production.

Oh, and a flagrant foul in the last minute of the game? Bush league.

RT “@braydencarlson: Griff Callahan is my idol! He's a legend!â€

(tweeted after the game last night)

RT “@braydencarlson: Griff Callahan is my idol! He's a legend!â€

(tweeted after the game last night)

but...but...it wasn't flagrant.

I missed the game last night and consequently my 'analysis' is strictly from reviewing the numbers/stats. We outshot the Jacks from a percentage basis (50.0% versus 48.1%) but they took 54 shots compared to our 46. They also made three more 3-pointers (3 vs. 6) than we did. In additon, they took (and made) 6 more free throws then we did. Rebounding was essentially a draw - 28 to 27, though they did pull down 11 offensive rebounds. It appears that the game was decided by number of possessions and free throws. We committed 15 turnovers to their 7, they shot/made more free throws as well as three more 3-pointers. I know the stats don't show the full picture, but it seems we substantialy lost the game by not having discipline with the ball - and committing too many fouls.

Didn't help that DBH and Craion played a combined 50 minutes and scored 6 points and pulled down 4 rebounds. It also appears that Morrison needed to take more shots; he scored 12 points on 8 shots. We needed more production.

Oh, and a flagrant foul in the last minute of the game? Bush league.

i don't know the number, but the key stat had to be second chance points. SDSU big men dominated DBH and Craion.

Look, I'm not making this stuff up: here's just a couple of examples, from the Mabee Center two years ago, so in hindsight, I guess it's NOT limited to games in the Dakotas.

Fortunately, Kevin Ford and Ken Holdman weren't seriously injured on these particular plays, which occured moments apart in the same game.

I'm sure the SDSU guys were just trying to make plays, and it was the heat of the moment, and they're actually great guys, blah, blah, blah...

Old Titan, In the first vid. it's obvious the SDSU player went for the block so i don't see the problem,the officals didn't even call a foul although he got him with his body. The second one more obvious but not "goon" like. Even the announcer was saying don't give up the easy basket,make him earn it at the line. I'm sure you and the other 50 people at the game wanted both players taken outside and exicuted.

I'm sorry this physical play bothers you so much. Doesn't ORU have a golf team you could watch? It might be better for you.

I agree with the SDSU fan that said we came out flat. Not sure how you come out flat in a game of this magnitude, but the guys looked absolutely listless out there on the floor. They seemed to try and turn the intensity up at times but could never really get it going.

While this loss hurts now, it can turn out to be a good thing if the guys have the right perspective and use it the right way. One such perspective says that now they are reminded of what it will really take to win in SF this year, and should have a "chip" on their shoulder come tournament time. A "Take No Prisoners" mindset is the only thing that will do. The wrong perspective will resort to finger pointing and a nonchalant attitude that will only dig us into a much deeper hole mentally and in the loss column (see Oakland). Even though this is the first time they've had to handle adversity in a while, I just don't see this veteran squad resorting to the negative approach. Too many tough guys to give up like that. I hope I'm right. We'll see tomorrow night.

And like Terry said, Take Care of the Ball. We had way too many unforced turnovers!

On the defensive end, they poked so many holes in our zone I thought we were playing a man down. That back door seemed to be constantly open.

Look, I'm not making this stuff up: here's just a couple of examples, from the Mabee Center two years ago, so in hindsight, I guess it's NOT limited to games in the Dakotas.

Fortunately, Kevin Ford and Ken Holdman weren't seriously injured on these particular plays, which occured moments apart in the same game.

I'm sure the SDSU guys were just trying to make plays, and it was the heat of the moment, and they're actually great guys, blah, blah, blah...

Neither of those two plays are "dirty", just hard fouls. If you think otherwise, I suggest you watch more basketball.

I know it won't matter as your mind is made up, but I haven't heard one SDSU fan complain about Fiegen getting popped in the mouth repeatedly or Dykstra getting thrown to the floor in the second half. Let me guess, that's some of the nuance of DI basketball we just don't understand.

I look forward to a post featuring a youtube clip of last night's foul.

Here is some nuance for you. Pearson had no business trying to dunk in that situation. That is another thing YOUR coach said in the postgame.

Good luck in the Southland, from what I know it seems like a conference where you will be able to push people around without getting pushed back.