ORU vs. South Dakota State

ORUTerry

SDSU up 34-23 at halftime....that's a pretty weak offensive effort by ORU....2 pts for DoMo....no shots for Craion....3 fouls for Pearson....our guys need to get it going in the next 5 minutes.....or the race for first place is back on..... :sweat:

What an ugly game. Pearson was the only one who came to play.

What an ugly game. Pearson was the only one who came to play.

Big props to South Dakota State. They took it to us.

oh well...can't win them all I guess.....we lose by double digits.....SDSU dominates from start to finish....DoMo fouls out with only 12 pts on 8 total shots....Craion gets only 4 pts and takes one shot...what's with that?....ORU gets pounded tonight....it happens....we just gotta forget about it and win on Saturday night at NDSU...use this as a learning and motivating experience....we probably get another shot at the Jacks in the tournament next month.... :nerd:

Tough loss tonight. SDSU flat out outplayed us tonight. It's been so long since we lost. I forgot how much it sucks. The guys won't get to dwell on this loss long at all. Gotta bounce back right away for NDSU.

much credit to SDSU. ORU better compete on saturday or they will find themselves tied in the league.

live-rpi.com

ORU-54

SDSU-57

Didn't see that one coming. But, as has been said, it happens. Especially on the road.

Gotta get back on that horse, though. Start a new streak thru the tournament.

ORU better compete on saturday or they will find themselves tied in the league.

And if we lose to the Bison and are tied with the Rabbits, and both SDSU and ORU win out from there (as is likely), SDSU would have the tie-breaker for #1 seed unless Oakland overtakes NDSU in the standings (not likely). Just by the way the chips are falling now, the #1 seed could have a MUCH easier path to the finals. Big game on Saturday...

And yes, Eagleman, NOW we would settle for a split in the Dakotas!

Geez, what an awful loss.

Where do you start?

My son had a game tonight, so I could only follow stats on my phone, but it sounds like a combination of things:

1. SDSU played really well: shot 50%, only 7 turnovers, got nine steals, battled us to a draw on the boards, but with TEN offensive rebounds.

2. They got more shots than us, more three pointers off than we did, shot more free throws - tough to counter that....

3. ...especially when your leading scorer is shut down (Domo with just 12), two of your five starters fail to show up (Craion and Bell-Holter combined for a whopping 2-for-4 from the floor, with 4 rebounds, 4 turnovers, and 7 fouls), and your only point guard gets 3 fouls in the first half. Maybe we should be wondering how we didn't lose by more?

4. Veteran officiating crew of Terry Wymer, Larry Scirotto, and Terry Oglesby call a lot of games in the Big 10, Mid-America, and Big XII conferences.

5. That being said, I have NEVER heard of calling a charge AND a block on the same play - sounds like there were some Type A personalities clashing on that crew tonight.

6. Can someone please tell me if we have EVER come away from the Dakotas without one of our guys getting clocked by a senseless flagrant foul on a dunk attempt? Remember that oaf from NDSU who assaulted Kevin Ford from behind a couple of years ago? And isn't that how Marchello Vealy got hurt one year, causing him to miss the conference tournament in Tulsa? Chalk up Rod Pearson as the latest victim of "The Dakota Hack" - the jury is still out on how seriously he may have been injured on that pointless foul tonight with under a minute to go. Funny how the xDSU's have never pulled that kind of crap at the Mabee Center, only at home. Playing to the masses?

7. Speaking of crowds, memo to SDSU fans (and similar neophytes across the basketball world): when you chant "OVERRATED" after beating someone with a better record, do you not realize it merely demeans your accomplishment? Don't you want everyone to think you are BETTER than the highly-rated team you just beat? Then WHY chant something that basically says "We're not all that, because THEY are not all that!"?

8. Oh, and by the way, Saturday night's game just became 10 times more important than tonight's game, for tie-breaker reasons we can get into later. Suffice it to say that, if we lose in Fargo, we're going to have a REALLY tough time finishing the regular season in first and getting that NIT guarantee. Our fate would no longer be in our own hands.

I watched thegame on E-live. It seemed like the team was flat from the very start of the game and stayed that way all night long. DoMo was invisible in the 1st half. As soon as he touched the ball he would pass it rather than trying to create. In the 2nd half he got going a little but then fouled out.

We gave up way too many offensive rebounds. We weren't driving to the basket much so we didn't draw enough fouls or shoot many FTs. We were a little careless with passes. SDSU forced several turnovers by deflecting passes. We gave up several easy buckets underneath when the post defenders lost track of who they were guarding.

They have a lot to work on. I expect a much better effort on Saturday night and I expect a win. If we played like we usually do, we still would have beat SDSU. We will have to bring our "A" game in the Summit League tournament.

6. Can someone please tell me if we have EVER come away from the Dakotas without one of our guys getting clocked by a senseless flagrant foul on a dunk attempt? Remember that oaf from NDSU who assaulted Kevin Ford from behind a couple of years ago? And isn't that how Marchello Vealy got hurt one year, causing him to miss the conference tournament in Tulsa? Chalk up Rod Pearson as the latest victim of "The Dakota Hack" - the jury is still out on how seriously he may have been injured on that pointless foul tonight with under a minute to go. Funny how the xDSU's have never pulled that kind of crap at the Mabee Center, only at home. Playing to the masses?

It was called a flagrant foul, and was most certainly a hard foul. However, the SDSU player was obviously going for the block. It wasn't a hack. Just a hard foul that resulted in Pearson going down badly into the basket support. I think the ref got caught up in the moment and called flagrant/intentional because of the result, not because of the infraction.

I feel badly for Pearson, and I sincerely hope he isn't injured. I was really worried for him because at first as he wasn't moving at all. It was a pointless dunk attempt by Pearson, Coach Sutton said as much in his postgame.

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/ Coach Sutton's comments on the play in question is at about the 1:35 mark.

Good luck the rest of the season, I really hope we can have a rematch in Sioux Falls. Count me as one Jackrabbit fan that will miss having ORU in the conference.

7. Speaking of crowds, memo to SDSU fans (and similar neophytes across the basketball world): when you chant "OVERRATED" after beating someone with a better record, do you not realize it merely demeans your accomplishment? Don't you want everyone to think you are BETTER than the highly-rated team you just beat? Then WHY chant something that basically says "We're not all that, because THEY are not all that!"?

It was the student section, let them have some fun. I've been to a few games at the Mabee now, and I haven't ever seen anything that closely resembles a student section.

It was called a flagrant foul, and was most certainly a hard foul. However, the SDSU player was obviously going for the block. It wasn't a hack. Just a hard foul that resulted in Pearson going down badly into the basket support. I think the ref got caught up in the moment and called flagrant/intentional because of the result, not because of the infraction.

I feel badly for Pearson, and I sincerely hope he isn't injured. I was really worried for him because at first as he wasn't moving at all. It was a pointless dunk attempt by Pearson, Coach Sutton said as much in his postgame.

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/ Coach Sutton's comments on the play in question is at about the 1:35 mark.

Good luck the rest of the season, I really hope we can have a rematch in Sioux Falls. Count me as one Jackrabbit fan that will miss having ORU in the conference.

Look, I think you mean well, and I'm not just trying to pick on you, but this is basically the same post we get every year after the fact: "Sorry, we didn't mean to, heat of the moment, the guy who did it is really a nice guy," etc.

Year after year, guys actually getting INJURED on the same sort of play, is very frustrating. It hasn't ever happened (that I can recall) at Oakland or IUPUI, two places where we have played some very intense games over the past decade.

Actions speak louder than words, especially over time. If this sort of thing was happening over several years to your own guys at the same places on the road, I would think you might feel the same way. Just sayin'...

Also, if we were actually on the bubble, we just fell off.

Don't speak so soon - our RPI is still very good.

We were never going to actually get an at-large bid, anyway - it was just nice to be in the discussion.

And I think we still will be, depending on what happens in Fargo Saturday night.

A guy gets whacked because he tries to dunk, and the reason given is that it was "a pointless dunk"? You've got to be kidding. That is incredibly lame.

Grif did indeed go for the block of a dunk attempt. Yes, it was a hard foul, that turned semi-tragic for Pearson, because Pearson was too intent about slamming it home, rather than assuring he played safely.

Don't go into another school's arena, and try to slam it home when it's a lost cause. Get the basket, and likely the foul, but be more aware of yourself to prevent injury.

About the whole game - Jacks came out with intensity, and played through all the different d's that ORU threw at them. Thankfully, Jacks had seen those all before at Tulsa, and went to different types of offense with each defense. Great ball movement by the Jacks. Likewise, in the 2nd half, Jacks were using the whole shot clock, and then getting O rebounds, and typically scoring. So each 2 or 3 points were burning 45-60 sec of clock by the Jacks. Then ORU would speed down, and try to get a transition bucket, and when that failed, launch a poor shot, had to be demoralizing.

Lots of foul trouble for ORU, and quickly. Jacks seemed to distribute their fouls and only Griffin Callahan ends up with 4 or out with 3 secs left in the game.

Game was never really close, and Jacks were in control the whole game. ORU just never showed up.

Don't go into another school's arena, and try to slam it home when it's a lost cause. Get the basket, and likely the foul, but be more aware of yourself to prevent injury.

Absolutely incredible statement. Repeated in probably a dozen or more posts on the SDSU message board.