ORU vs. South Dakota State

ORUTerry

thank you for posting that tmh. i considered signing up to reply to some of those comments, but decided it was not worth it. it is their message board and it appears their moderators are fine with it.

it seems that neither tolerance nor the fallacies of reasoning are taught at SDSU. it is fine to disagree, but mocking one's faith or engaging in sweeping generalizations and ad hominem attacks is uncalled for. i'm not saying some of that does not happen on this message board, but i do think there is an attempt to be more civil.

It's cool, just got to beat them next time to shut 'em up.

Besides, they usually find some way to embarrass themselves by the end of the year.

(See: every single men's basketball and baseball tournament.)

Tmh, you're a class act, as always.

Sorry to all ORU fans that my ONE observation about flagrant fouls from the Dakota teams (out of a list of eight different post-game comments that I originally made) caused such a stir.

SDSU fans (and Dakota fans in general) are a curious bunch. They have a bigger inferiority complex than we do - I didn't think that was possible. Maybe it's from not having their schools compete in athletics at the highest levels until the 21st century.

They do have really good basketball teams this year. It's impressive how quickly they have acclimated to Division-1 play.

Time will tell if their fan bases can keep pace.

Tmh, you're a class act, as always.

Sorry to all ORU fans that my ONE observation about flagrant fouls from the Dakota teams (out of a list of eight different post-game comments that I originally made) caused such a stir.

SDSU fans (and Dakota fans in general) are a curious bunch. They have a bigger inferiority complex than we do - I didn't think that was possible. Maybe it's from not having their schools compete in athletics at the highest levels until the 21st century.

They do have really good basketball teams this year. It's impressive how quickly they have acclimated to Division-1 play.

Time will tell if their fan bases can keep pace.

Great post tmh, agree with everything you said. For what its worth, I think it totally bs (and I call people out on it when I hear it in person) when our fans start bashing ORU for their beliefs, founder, or other topics along those lines. Totally uncalled for.

Old Titan, we do have an inferiority complex. Our basketball teams were very, very successful in DII, coach Nagy had something like an 85% winning percentage prior to the jump to DI, all at SDSU. We had some extremely lean times for a few years, and some fans (myself included sometimes) take a little too much pleasure in being on top of our game again.

The guys answered a lot of questions tonight about their toughness tonight. Great job.

As sick as it may sound, I've really enjoyed the banter here today. I wish you guys were sticking around the Summit, these games could have (or already have) blossomed into a pretty decent rivalry.

Do you guys think ORU would be open to playing SDSU home/home in alternating years in the future? Obviously both schools try to build a strong non-conference schedule, but if both schools can consistently be top 100 teams it may make sense (I fully understand this is our first year with this kind of RPI).

Thoughts?

I don't see us playing SDSU or NDSU home-home, in the future. Sorry if this sounds bad, but the casual sports fan in Tulsa and even the die-hard ORU fans derive no excitement from playing the Dakota schools.

Once again, sorry if that sounds like 'smack'. It is not. Just simply no interest in a series with either. Without the conference affiliation over the past few years, I doubt 5% of the Tulsa sports community could have told you either teams nickname or where those schools are located.

I don't see us playing SDSU or NDSU home-home, in the future. Sorry if this sounds bad, but the casual sports fan in Tulsa and even the die-hard ORU fans derive no excitement from playing the Dakota schools.

Once again, sorry if that sounds like 'smack'. It is not. Just simply no interest in a series with either. Without the conference affiliation over the past few years, I doubt 5% of the Tulsa sports community could have told you either teams nickname or where those schools are located.

No offense taken, I can understand your point.

For what its worth, South Dakota State is located in South Dakota, North Dakota State is in Canada, so I can see how that would be confusing... :) I kid, I kid.

No offense taken, I can understand your point.

For what its worth, South Dakota State is located in South Dakota, North Dakota State is in Canada, so I can see how that would be confusing... :) I kid, I kid.

It just doesn't seem like we schedule many games with past conference-mates after they leave. I won't say we never will, but it hasn't in the past. My guess is that we probably won't in the future, either. Probably several reasons for this.

It just doesn't seem like we schedule many games with past conference-mates after they leave. I won't say we never will, but it hasn't in the past. My guess is that we probably won't in the future, either. Probably several reasons for this.

As I recall, Scott tried to schedule a home and home series with Valpo, but Homer wanted no part of that. I could see us scheduling Oakland for fan interest and competitive reasons, and I could see us attempting to schedule UMKC for recruiting reasons, although, I do not think that UMKC would want to do us any favors.

Anyone who thinks we would schedule a home and home with any Dakota school is delusional at best (IMO). I like Saul Phillips but aside from that there's not a whole lot that appeals to me about those programs.

Former conference schools I would like to see us play:

1. UMKC

2. Oakland

3. IUPUI, but only if return game is played at Conseco or some place other than The Jungle.

4. Valpo

Former conference schools I do NOT think we should play:

1. South Dakota State

2. North Dakota State

3. Western Illinois

4. IPFW

5. Southern Utah

6. South Dakota

7. Chicago State

We have to be VERY careful in the next few years about scheduling RPI: we could go undefeated in the Southland and STILL get a #16 seed, due to the current weakness of the league.

We should only schedule non-conference schools that we feel confident will be either really good, OR who also play a good schedule themselves, ensuring they have a decent RPI.

Basically, the same thing Rob Walton has had to do for several years playing baseball in the Mid-Con/Summit League.

Former conference schools I would like to see us play:

1. UMKC

2. Oakland

3. IUPUI, but only if return game is played at Conseco or some place other than The Jungle.

4. Valpo

Former conference schools I do NOT think we should play:

1. South Dakota State

2. North Dakota State

3. Western Illinois

4. IPFW

5. Southern Utah

6. South Dakota

7. Chicago State

We have to be VERY careful in the next few years about scheduling RPI: we could go undefeated in the Southland and STILL get a #16 seed, due to the current weakness of the league.

We should only schedule non-conference schools that we feel confident will be either really good, OR who also play a good schedule themselves, ensuring they have a decent RPI.

Basically, the same thing Rob Walton has had to do for several years playing baseball in the Mid-Con/Summit League.

Not interested in Oakland, IUPUI, or Valpo.

Maybe UMKC because of the proximity and recruiting the KC area has been so good to us.

Not interested in Oakland, IUPUI, or Valpo.

Maybe UMKC because of the proximity and recruiting the KC area has been so good to us.

Surprised at your rejection of Oakland, voice. They're a fan favorite, and ever since Valpo left we've had a nice rivalry going with them.

Curious what your thinking is.

Oakland would be a nice opponent to keep on the schedule - but that is a long way to go for a non-guarantee game. Might make sense if we could get a game with either Michigan or Michigan State and then play Oakland a couple of days later. We need to establish games with good programs in the area: Wichita State, Missouri State, etc. - and even Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Arkansas. ORU will be playing a lot in Texas in the future given the makeup of the Southland Conference - let's hope SMU, TCU and other schools in the DFW area will schedule us. I am not holding my breath though.

Surprised at your rejection of Oakland, voice. They're a fan favorite, and ever since Valpo left we've had a nice rivalry going with them.

Curious what your thinking is.

If I had to guess, it's this:

Almost every Summit League opponent requires a plane trip, and mid-major schools rarely fly for non-guarantee games.

I think ORU flies for non-conference home-and-home games that are further away, with New Mexico, Lamar, Indiana State and Texas Tech as recent possible examples. None of those contests were guarantee games; they were all home-and-home contracts.

Not sure if ORU flew to the Missouri return game in Columbia; but maybe not: it's pointless for some games to mess with the delays and discomforts of air travel when you can get there in roughly the same time (and more comfortably) by bus.

ORU doesn't schedule many dates far enough away from Tulsa to justify air travel that AREN'T guarantee games.

If we did have more home-and-home deals with mid-majors like Oakland and Valpo, I think we would fly to them.