Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

can't say i'll miss the guy, but you have to give ron hunter credit for what he did at a commuter school w/horrible facilities and very little fan interest.

Won't miss Hunter? He's the guy we love to hate!! Who else in this conference stands six feet out onto the court during a game? Who else claps and tries to distract his opponents during free throws? the guy's a classic for opposing fans to dispise. I'll at least miss him for that!

Reality is, Hunter has always been able to recruit. If you think about it, Hunter has consistently had at least one standout player on nearly every team he's put together. I don't want to put a lot of thought and research into it, but Odell Bradley and George Hill are a couple that come to mind from the past, and even this year, Alex Young and Leroy Nobles.

Interestingly, I heard this weekend that Hunter actually gets along real well with our coaching staff!! That was a fact that surprised me - although I admit, I've watched their coaches' greetng after games, and it always appears warm and friendly.

Didn't realize I hadn't read all the posts on this thread before making the post above - turns out pretty much everyting I said parroted what others had already said.

I have to agree with OT, though, I think the loss of Hunter (and his colorful personality) is a loss for the conference, and, by association, ultimately a loss for ORU.

Hey, this should really drive up the collectors value on his bobblehead:

Things are really heating up with all of the coaching changes this season. I'd really like to be able to keep Coach Sean around, but I don't know how feasable that is. He could easily get a call from Billy Clyde down at Texas Tech or could end up on the sidelines at Arkansas.

The major openings are:

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Arkansas

N.C. State

Other jobs available:

Lamar

IUPUI

Southeast Oklahoma State

Ron Hunter is the first conference coach to leave a Summit League school on his own terms since...Valpo's Scott Drew in 2003 and and ORU's Barry Hinson in 1999?

Jim Kerwin at Western Illinois retired, his replacement Derek Thomas was fired.

Bill Evans at Southern Utah was fired this past decade, so was Rich Zvosec at UMKC - don't think either are coaching anymore (Zvosec does TV and radio)

No idea what has happened with the guys at Centenary - didn't Rob Flaska quit for a D-III job somewhere else?

Dane Fife came into the league with IPFW, so did Greg Kampe with Oakland, plus the guys at the XDSU's.

Stability?

Priorities?

Or simply nobody wants 'em? :razz:

Probably a little bit of all 3 depending on the coach. I'd be surprised if Kampe doesn't get any looks soon. Given they've only advanced to the NCAA's in the past 3-4 years, I'm surprised Oakland hasn't offered him more than $150k a year.

Oakland is getting a bargain. Just think of the publicity the program has generated over the last few years. I would have to think that Kampe is getting inquiries given his success. He has been there a long time though and may not want to move.

Ron Hunter is the first conference coach to leave a Summit League school on his own terms since...Valpo's Scott Drew in 2003 and and ORU's Barry Hinson in 1999?

Jim Kerwin at Western Illinois retired, his replacement Derek Thomas was fired.

Bill Evans at Southern Utah was fired this past decade, so was Rich Zvosec at UMKC - don't think either are coaching anymore (Zvosec does TV and radio)

No idea what has happened with the guys at Centenary - didn't Rob Flaska quit for a D-III job somewhere else?

Dane Fife came into the league with IPFW, so did Greg Kampe with Oakland, plus the guys at the XDSU's.

Stability?

Priorities?

Or simply nobody wants 'em? :razz:

We discussed this info not too long ago, but I thought I'd bring it up again in relation to OT's post. Hoopsdude18 wrote an excellent post on the longevity of Summit League coaches - you can see the entire article here. He put together a couple of great graphics in the article (hope he doesn't mind me duplicating them here) - the first one shows that the average tenure of Summit League coaches is the greatest of any conference in the country (ties with the Atlantic Sun):

Coaches_Totals.jpg

The second shows the number of years Summit League coaches have been in their current positions, and the expectations for next season:

GGG_SummitCoaches.jpg

Obviously, his numbers will require updating now that Ron Hunter has left the fold. In spite of that, it appears that with the addition of the coach from USD the average tenure will increase.

When you remove Ron Hunter's 18 years and replace it with 1 year for a first year coach, then the average changes from 12.6 to 10.9 years coaching on average per school in the Summit League. That is still pretty amazing.

When you remove Ron Hunter's 18 years and replace it with 1 year for a first year coach, then the average changes from 12.6 to 10.9 years coaching on average per school in the Summit League. That is still pretty amazing.

Or pretty sad, depending on your point of view.

Or pretty sad, depending on your point of view.

You think stability is a bad thing? I view it as a positive. "Upwardly mobile" is more of a mind-set than an indication of ability.

Thanks for bringing that up again tmh. I hadn't thought about how Hunter will impact that. Either way, Boots brings a ton of experience to the fold and helps keep the average pretty high.

I view it as a good thing, for the most part. A number of these coaches saw their teams through the transition to DI, which is not an easy experience to come through unscathed. I think it reflects well on the ADs who have been willing to give their coaches time to adjust and recruit. Certainly you can make an argument that the ADs' patience has worked out well for Oakland, IPFW, IUPUI (using Hunter), and even SDSU. On the other hand, those situations can be a bit pesky if, for example, Nagy doesn't deliver some kind of postseason bid in the next few years, that allegiance from getting through the transition years could make an AD nervous to cut the chord. Either way, at this point I see the longevity as a good thing for the league and not a reflection of other schools not having respect for our coaches as potential hires (Hunter's name has been out there for years, and Sutton and Kampe surely get looks. And this is the second straight offseason that Fife's name has been linked to other jobs).

I'm playing devil's advocate a little here, but it does make me wonder if some young rising star were to come on the scene and suddenly take one of the schools to the top of the league, if it wouldn't kick some of the other more "comfortable" coaches right in the pants and make them raise their game to another level.

Sources: Mike Anderson to Arkansas

By Andy Katz

ESPN.com

Archive

ncb_a_mikeats_200.jpg

Arkansas officials are expected to meet with Missouri coach Mike Anderson later Wednesday and, according to sources, a contract offer and Anderson's acceptance of it appear to be a formality.

Missouri athletic director Mike Alden was unavailable for comment early Wednesday but a Missouri official said there was no announcement planned from Columbia, Mo.

Mike Anderson's return to the Missouri sideline seems unlikely Wednesday, according to sources who expect him to take the vacant Arkansas job instead.

Earlier Wednesday, a source at Missouri said the school had expected Anderson to stay.

Read the rest of the article here.

An interview with Greg Kampe by the Oakland Press

. . .In other coaching news, IUPUI's Ron Hunter left for Georgia State, a move applauded by Kampe.

“I’m really happy for him,†Kampe said. “His salary got tripled and he got what he wanted. He’s very excited and I’m very pleased for him.â€

It was revealed by CNBC sports analyst Darren Rovell prior to Friday's game against Texas, Kampe's salary is in the neighborhood of $170,000. He just finished his 27th year as Oakland's head coach and some have wondered how and why he's maintained such longevity.

“If someone offered me millions and millions of dollars, I’d probably look at it," Kampe said. "Nobody has called me," he quickly asserted.

“When I put my key in today (Monday), I was just happy it worked.â€

Read the rest of Kampe interviews Kampe here.

OT you are an interesting dude, on one hand you cheer Sutton on for not leaving, turning down riches and then you make comments like you have in this thread. Do you take meds......I think Kampe and Sutton could both have left a long time ago but me thinks they are both guys that really like the jobs they have, where they live, the quality of life for their families. How much money do you really need, I know at Oakland Kampe is almost God-like. He is Oakland, not a bad gig to have........

After 26+ years at Oakland, I assume that Greg Kampe is not going anywhere. It would be nice for him if he cold get a bump in salary to reward him for his success. It must rankle Kampe a bit to see Ron Hunter land a job that is probably paying him close to twice to what Greg is making at Oakland.

I am assuming the coach from Oakland has had numerous chances to take other jobs and has just decided to stay at Oakland. If they had played any other 4 seed i think they would have won and he would become a very hot coach really quickly.

As stated on here before Scott has chosen to stay at ORU despite a few other offers and seems to really fit here and enjoy being here. Not saying he won't ever leave just not sure what job he would leave for.