NDSU at SDSU on channelsurfing.net (in OT right now)

Mike Minyard

hmm..Omaha might might not be so bad...I have never been there, but I've heard it an okay place..idk tho....I really enjoyed it when it was held in Tulsa..it was alotta fun

Omaha is in love with Creighton and the Missouri Valley - with no Nebraska schools in our league, no one local would care, or go.

Now, if we added a Nebraska school...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• SDSUJacks

• ManiacAlum

• tmh8286

#1 SDSU board is boring, no one goes there, hell for a couple months, I alone drove hits up!

#2 ORU is a good school with great basketball & baseball

#3 NDSU has beaten Big ten teams in basketball & football, they can play with big boys, SDSU hasnt beaten 1 in any sport.

#4 Summit shouldnt add UND, or UNO or Denver, then you will see the level of play go downhill and their ignorant fans will really irritate you if you are already irritated by us, ha ha.

#5 Omaha would be the ideal place for the Summit every year (neutral spot in middle of all of us)

For once I agree with LakesBison. The Summit League should not add UND!!! Is the UNO that he referred to Univ. of New Orleans? Aren't they dropping down to D-III like Centenary?

However, I would strongly consider University of Denver. That is another large market and a strongly respected academic private university with a rich history. I think it's important to have some private schools in the mix. We do not need to add another Dakota school that could join a voting block that might not (potentially) favor ORU's interests.

I know that IUPUI doesn't get huge play in Indianapolis, but when they have a good team, I would expect that they get some attention. In Detroit, with U of Michigan down right now, I spoke with someone from Detroit who said that Oakland is becoming much more known and he definitely wanted to attend an Oakland game. He felt that Oakland has as much recognition as U of Detroit and maybe more right now because Oakland has a better team this year. He had absolutely no connection to Oakland except that he lives in Detroit.

For the future growth of the league, it is good to have teams in large markets because the potential is there to gain increased exposure. It is also good to have some strongly supported state universities like SDSU and NDSU. Kansas City, Detroit, Indianopolis, Tulsa -- I think Denver would be a nice addition.

Both Lakes and Jason are right.

The AD's need to do whatever they can to block North Dakota from entering the league. Hockey is their marquee sport and they develop pro hockey players. They put ZERO effort into basketball or baseball... this would be like adding NJIT. :puke:

Look at Denver or anybody else. Like we saw this week adding a Dakota school for the sake of drawing fans for a tournament isn't working... THEY DON'T SHOW UP!

Douple said the league wouldn't consider Denver, he said the league wants to stick to adding schools in the Midwest.

UND, Nebraska-Omaha, Northern Kentucky, UM-St. Louis, and Grand Valley State are probably some schools to look at.

Denver is a very good school, good basketball RPI this year...but aren't they kind of the same deal? Hockey school and no baseball? And I thought they really wanted to make a push to get into the WCC for travel purposes..

I would think no matter where the Summit tournament is, crowds would be about the same as last night

Both Lakes and Jason are right.

The AD's need to do whatever they can to block North Dakota from entering the league. Hockey is their marquee sport and they develop pro hockey players. They put ZERO effort into basketball or baseball... this would be like adding NJIT. :puke:

Look at Denver or anybody else. Like we saw this week adding a Dakota school for the sake of drawing fans for a tournament isn't working... THEY DON'T SHOW UP!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH NJIT has been the joke of the NCAA the last few years....they finally got some wins this year...unbelievably they got 9 wins....wear before that they were 1-30...year before that 0 - 30..lol...crazy bad

Douple said the league wouldn't consider Denver, he said the league wants to stick to adding schools in the Midwest.

UND, Nebraska-Omaha, Northern Kentucky, UM-St. Louis, and Grand Valley State are probably some schools to look at.

Where did you hear this? Do you have an actual quote from Douple, or is it hearsay?

If true, it can't bode well for ORU, as the soon-to-be Southern outpost of the Summit League when Centenary leaves.

When Oklahoma City dropped out of the Midwestern Collegiate Conference (now the Horizon League) back in the mid-'80's, they left ORU without a travel partner - the conference subsequently went on an upper-Midwest-schools recruiting frenzy and basically forced ORU out of the picture geographically.

Question: Mr. Douple, thanks for doing this today. AS you talk about replacing Centenary and future expansion possibilities, how much more important is geography, i.e., cost of travel, in the deliberations?

Tom Douple: Geography is a very important consideration and was with NDSU, SDSU and IPFW. We want to get back to the Midwest. We're only looking at schools in that footprint from Tulsa to Detroit to the Dakotas.

Question: How about getting a travel partner for Southern Utah? I don't think the league needs to change much but until things solidify, I wonder what will happen?

Tom Douple: We're not going to put another team out in the West. While it's good for a few sports, you can't do it in baseball and softball. It's something we looked at, but we want to go to our midwestern roots.

It is in the live chat on 3/4

http://www.argusleader.com/article/9999 ... 2/91221041

Douple was also on radio up in Fargo a few days ago, he mentioned both Utah Valley and Denver as teams that aren't being considered. It almost sounded like he was hoping SUU would be packing their bags for the Big Sky....

Question: Mr. Douple, thanks for doing this today. AS you talk about replacing Centenary and future expansion possibilities, how much more important is geography, i.e., cost of travel, in the deliberations?

Tom Douple: Geography is a very important consideration and was with NDSU, SDSU and IPFW. We want to get back to the Midwest. We're only looking at schools in that footprint from Tulsa to Detroit to the Dakotas.

Question: How about getting a travel partner for Southern Utah? I don't think the league needs to change much but until things solidify, I wonder what will happen?

Tom Douple: We're not going to put another team out in the West. While it's good for a few sports, you can't do it in baseball and softball. It's something we looked at, but we want to go to our midwestern roots.

It is in the live chat on 3/4

http://www.argusleader.com/article/9999 ... 2/91221041

Douple was also on radio up in Fargo a few days ago, he mentioned both Utah Valley and Denver as teams that aren't being considered. It almost sounded like he was hoping SUU would be packing their bags for the Big Sky....

Ominous, considering that as the athletic director at SUU he would likely be privy to their intentions. Sounds like he's planning on them leaving sometime soon.

Looking forward to the prospect of ORU and UMKC returning to "travel partner" status in the near future for men's and women's basketball - easy access to/from for the other league members, roughly the same distance apart as SDSU and NDSU, and would mean "only Saturday" games between the two during the regular season, allowing fans of the two schools to easily make the trip(s).

Unfortunately, UMKC and USD will be paired as travel partners.

Douple also addressed this:

3:17

[Comment From ret.Army Jackret.Army Jack: ]

TD-- who do you see as USD travel partner--UMKC??

Thursday March 4, 2010 3:17 ret.Army Jack

3:18

[TD]

In the fall of 2011, we have a tentative plan for USD and UMKC to be travel partners. NDSU and SDSU would remain.

ORU will partnered with SUU... or stuck on our own.

In reality, we're looking down the road a ways. Next year I would imagine we'll still be with Centenary. Then, say we're paired with SUU - if they choose to leave the conference are they bound for two more years, as Centenary was? If so, and they prepared to leave next year, then we'd be with SUU for at least one more year.

But THEN, after that, if we were left on our own, without a travel partner, wouldn't that mean that we'd be the only team in the conference with a "bye week"? One week of the season with no travel or games? Or, if we chose, we could play a non-confrerence opponent. That might not be all that bad of an arrangement.

I'm talking long term, if SUU leaves the league and UND joins.

In that scenario, ORU/UMKC, SDSU/USD, and NDSU/UND should be no-brainers.

I'm disappointed to hear that Denver wouldn't be considered. Clearly the plan is to have all schools within a driving distance kind of like the Horizon League. Maybe we should just ask Valparaiso to come back, because now all the schools will be within driving distance. :lol:

However, the comments about others schools that would be considered are absurd. UNO, N Kentucky, UM St. Louis and Grand Valley State are not Division 1. Surely you jest. Chicago State's available. :tmi:

The focus on the midwest footprint will keep the travel costs down for most of the schools. I doubt Southern Utah is going anywhere because I doubt any other conference wants to add them. If we eventually add UND, we will be an 11-team league. I don't see any reason to add that 11th team.

I think UND's membership is inevitable - there's no way they'll remain the only Dakota school not in D-1 once USD makes the jump. The mascot issue will eventually be resolved - they'll have a some new "official" mascot, but everyone for at least this generation will still call them the Fighting Sioux.

I think all this conversation regarding the other schools is about who the 12th team will eventually be.

So the Great West Conference is the most random collection of schools ever stretching from New Jersey to Utah. With the Summit poaching South Dakota and possibly North Dakota, I wonder what will happen to the rest of the conference...if they'll break up and go into independent status again or what. I'm not necessarily sure it'd be the strongest school to add, but in regards to travel partners, I wonder if Houston Baptist would ever even enter the convo, though they're not technically "midwest."

und 57 NJIT 70. battle of RPI 337 vs 340. people. trust me, you dont want them in the league.

With NDSU and ORU's baseball teams. *at least our stadium* , cant the 2 of us get into the MISS VALLEY for basketball/baseball??