NDSU at SDSU on channelsurfing.net (in OT right now)

Mike Minyard

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• SDSUJacks

• ManiacAlum

• tmh8286

USD - solid football program.

SDSU - current #11 FCS football program, made FCS playoffs, etc.

Baseball drives the bus at very few schools. But hey, go baseball!

Dude, you've got to read the entire post. OT brought up baseball becasue Bison said that USD had a pretty good baseball program. Nobody was talking about football.

I never said they were good, from what I can remember they were pretty average, I just thought it was a shame that OT wouldn't have another Dakota roadtrip to look forward to in baseball.

Not sure how football got drawn into this, at least USD has a decent men's basketball team, definite upgrade over Centenary.

My bad, Bison. Average team. But at least we are asking the same question. What does SDSU's top 20 FCS football program that made the playoffs have to do with NCAA Division I Athletics in the Summit League? :?:

I think the football topic is SDSUJacks last-ditch defense whenever he gets into an argument on this board.

I didn't know football "drove the bus" at that many I-AA schools anyway... isn't that why they play in the FCS?

Anyway, Jacks could post just about anything as 'fact' regarding football at SDSU and I would believe it, because I know nothing about FCS football.

I do know I'm ready for ORU baseball to play the likes of Texas, Baylor, UCLA, Arkansas and Wichita State this year. Maybe someone at SDSU has heard of those schools? :lol:

SDSU and NDSU have literally 4x the enrollment of ORU and you still get 3,000 for a 'rivalry' :?:

Obviously the Dakotas are carrying the Summit, can't wait for that 4/5 game :clap:

Yes, SDSU and NDSU are over 11k and ORU is at 3,500-4k. But the population of Brookings is 17k. Population of Tulsa is what, 400k? Not to mention the weather was awful that night and noone was traveling down from Fargo or up from Sioux Falls. I believe just 24-48 hours earlier the interstates were closed. Again, this has been one of our worst winters ever and alot of it seems to happen on SDSU gamenights. Seriously. Go figure that it was 37 today and the team played on the road. The other factor is history. I have posted our D2 attendance number on here before and they dwarf our D1 numbers. Not dogging your fans, but, if we had the history at the D1 level that you guys do, we'd be at 5-6k every night. Heck, we drew 6k for a girls game on a frigid Monday night! We drew nealry 6k for the Oakland game and 3,500 for the UMKC game (weather horrible that night too). When we start winning, when our fans get more familiar w/ the Summit, when we develop more rivalries like we had in the old NCC and when USD and UND come into this conference you will see crowds of 5k+ every night.

Our football teams has had great success since the move to D1 (in top 25 pretty much the whole time), plays against more local schools (NDSU, Northern Iowa, etc) and we averaged more per game (13,300) than we have capacity for (10k). Just built a new 6mil lockeroom, offices, weightroom etc facility and plans are in the works right now for expanding to 22k w/ capabilities of expanding to 40k down the road.

Oh I know darn well that noone cares about us or ANY team in the Summit. That's fine.

Our message board boring? How so? How is the ORU board, save for it talks about your favorite team, so much better? We have 10-times the hits you guys do. We have active threads in about every area of conversation. We have 10 pages of gameday talk about Oakland. Our thread about 2010 recruits has over 10,000 hits. Wanna talk boring talk UMKC, USD, Oakland, pretty much every board in the Summit minus us and you. Stop on over, I know a few ORU fans have and they've all been treated well.

I think the football topic is SDSUJacks last-ditch defense whenever he gets into an argument on this board.

I didn't know football "drove the bus" at that many I-AA schools anyway... isn't that why they play in the FCS?

Anyway, Jacks could post just about anything as 'fact' regarding football at SDSU and I would believe it, because I know nothing about FCS football.

I do know I'm ready for ORU baseball to play the likes of Texas, Baylor, UCLA, Arkansas and Wichita State this year. Maybe someone at SDSU has heard of those schools? :lol:

I love our football program and am darn proud of it. I just brought up the football thing to show we don't put much emphasis in baseball. We know we'll never be good even though we have a great coach (former Jayhawk Ritchie Price, son of current Jayhawk manager Ritch Price) b/c of our location. Given ORU's location as opposed to the rest on the Summit you should continue to dominate the conference.

And yes, football does drive the bus at many FCS schools. FCS football is much more "bigtime" and draws much better than at least 1/2 the D1 basketball programs. The 100th rated basketball program in D1 draws 5,500 per game and there are over 300 programs. Montana and Appy State averaged over 24,000 in FCS football. There were 40 programs who averaged over 9,500 fans per game. In comparison, noone in D1 basketball averaged more than 24k a game and there were 47 programs that averaged more than 9,500 per game. FCS is great football, great athletes, attendance, over 65 scholarships, great paydays (we made over 250k playing Minnesota) and where, on a yearly basis, our teams go up and beat the "big boys".

• 3 weeks later...
The Big Sky made a big mistake not adding the Dakota four and the future of the Summit is in the Dakota's. Until we leave..... :hai::D

I'm having a real tough time seeing that tonight. Maybe it is just me. :?:

I'm having a real tough time seeing that tonight. Maybe it is just me. :?:

Yeah, perhaps that comment should be modified to read: "The future of the Summit is in the Dakota's....as long as the Dakota's are playing in that particular game"

Attendance Monday night for the men's games will be about what it was on Saturday night (under 2500), maybe worse...

Yeah, perhaps that comment should be modified to read: "The future of the Summit is in the Dakota's....as long as the Dakota's are playing in that particular game"

Attendance Monday night for the men's games will be about what it was on Saturday night (under 2500), maybe worse...

Actually, the future is likely due to the Dakota schools being something other than commuter schools, or as in the case of ORU a glorified community college. If the attendance in SF for the non-Dakota schools games is weak that would be due to your schools not traveling well; thus they have a small fan base. Be realistic, I have spent a lot of time in Tulsa and ORU plays second fiddle to Tulsa. Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW, UMKC all have week followings. Whether the folks at ORU like it or not as the larger midwest schools move up (USD, UND, UNO) the league will be making a play for them. ORU are stuck with those schools until they can find a better option. The problem is the Sun Belt, Horizon, etc. are looking at the whole package. They want the schools they recruit to have solid academics and they expect the schools they bring in to be on solid financial footing. ORU doesn't qualify in either case.

In TU's future, I see... middle of the pack in a down C-USA. The future for the Dakotas is watching ORU play tonight.

IUPUI, IPFW, UMKC all have week followings

ORU are stuck with those schools

...maybe a couple night classes at a community college wouldn't hurt.

Can we start a new poll? Which troll got a new screen name today?

In TU's future, I see... middle of the pack in a down C-USA. The future for the Dakotas is watching ORU play tonight.

Especially a glorified one.

I guess if we are talking community college I better move to Tulsa to attend ORU.

Can we start a new poll? Which troll got a new screen name today?

Someone needed to add some life to your boring board. The reality is I got tired of reading people who attended a school best known for the health and wealth message than academics ripping two rather large and successful schools, NDSU and SDSU.

Successful at what? Losing early? ;(

Good luck in community college.