Arkansas' Pelphrey - Dead Man Walking?

Old Titan

They are literally doing drugs if they think they can get Anderson or Dixon!

Woj would take that job in a heartbeat.

I think Scott would have had a chance last time if he had expressed interest in the job. Pretty tough gig if with the type of fans they have.

It is going to be a long year for that team.

On the other hand Rotnei is getting to shoot it as much as he likes so him and his dad are happy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• darrenj

• birdsnest

Rotnei Clark: The guard that got away from OU

Rotnei Clarke had an early connection to the Sooners. A prenatal one...

...In the end, he chose from Arkansas, Oklahoma State and Oral Roberts.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/carlson-rotnei-clark-is-the-guard-that-got-away-from-ou/article/3421588?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0YU5U04aj

Well at least we know NewsOk doesn't know how to spell his last name correctly.

How close was he to coming to ORU?....i wasn't in the loop back then.....threatening to quit if coach gets fired?.....hummmm....sounds like a scene right out of Hoosiers...... ;)

How close was he to coming to ORU?....i wasn't in the loop back then.....threatening to quit if coach gets fired?.....hummmm....sounds like a scene right out of Hoosiers...... ;)

Close enough that for most of his senior year, while the Big Five waited with bated breath for Rotnei to announce which school he was going to attend, his dad was made Director of Operations for ORU, bumping Steve Upshaw out of the position but not necessarily out of the workload, if you know what I mean.

Oh, yeah, there was some sort of dating relationship between one of RR's daughters and Rotnei as well.

The Clarke and Roberts families apparently go way back - supposedly, Rotnei viewed RR much like a grandfather or something like that.

Add to that the fact that the Phipps and Clarke families were also very close - so much so that Rotnei's dad, Conley, and our own Conley Phipps were either named after each other or named after the same person, or something like that.

We thought we had a legitimate shot at Rotnei coming to ORU right to the very end - but that was about the time of the blowup/resignation of RR, and that may have sunk any hopes of him coming here.

Thanks for the history lesson, TMH.....sounds like ORU really got taken for a ride....I understand now why OT dislikes the kid so much.... :puke:

Thanks for the history lesson, TMH.....sounds like ORU really got taken for a ride....I understand now why OT dislikes the kid so much.... :puke:

I don't dislike the kid - I disliked (word?) the manipulation of the recruiting process.

The whole thing came off as sleazy, made even worse by RR's hiring of CC in the (seemingly) desperate hopes that it would swing the tables in our favor.

If that's what big-time recruiting is all about, then I'm happy for us to just keep signing diamonds-in-the-rough that don't come with all the drama.

But please keep in mind, this thread was never intended as an RC referendum - it was intended as an indictment of John Pelphrey's unwillingness to play us, the continued lawlessness of his basketball team, and the fear Scott Sutton might get the Arkansas job if Pelphrey is fired.

I just don't think Pelphrey was ready for that level of scrutiny and expectations. The wolves are out right now after him. It is going to be a long year.

Rotnei is a very good kid. he couldn't help the things with his dad and ORU. I don't think ORU was in the running the last couple of months. He was locked in on Ark for awhile.

Hopefully it all works out for him; however it will be interesting to see what happens if Pelphrey gets fired. It will put a lot of wheels in motion that is for sure.

I'm often curious as to how Jenni Carlson picks her stories. No matter the angle, there's always room to throw some college kid under a bus.

RR and sleazy in the same sentence.....no way..... |(|(|(